RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

For missing facial (and other) features

Old 01-31-2005, 03:58 PM

For missing facial (and other) features

I posted this in another thread and it was suggested I post it in here too

It is a really general tip, so hopefully it will work for most programs.

It helps if you can draw as well......here goes the tip, hope it is useful

I've used a technique where I have laid a sheet of acetate over a copy print (never on the original) and with a rapidograph pen, free handed in the facial features.
I then used this guide as I was working on a piece, pausing and laying it over my work print as I was going.
I have managed to use this method in PS with good effect by doing the same thing on a transparent layer, and clicking off the eye when I did not need it. The nice thing about doing it in PS is that I can vary the opacity of the layer to see how I am coming along.

I have also been creating a "swipe file" of things like eyes, ears, hands, feet, architectural details from other images...so if I need one, I can pull one that I can piece into the image.
Best thing my art teacher ever taught me to do.
When I get stuck, I literally "swipe" the part I need from my collection, manipulate it and use it directly in the image, or keep it up on the side as a guide for my work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2005, 05:36 AM

Hi Juliana,

reconstructing "missing facial (and other) features" is, in my opinion, one of the most difficult and delicate task in photo retoucing/restoring ..... I usually refuse to do it if I haven't enough details to work on/copy/paste/manipulate....

Working hours to reconstruct a face I've never seen in my life and, most of the times, never will, just to hear "that doesn't look like him/her at all ...." is a great deterrent for even trying that .... (and for me Photoshop is only a hobby!!!).

As for the other features, well, that is a completely different 'ball game' .... but the thought of actually collecting 'body parts' (Gosh ... I sound like Dr. Frankenstein ) to either use or refer to, never really crossed my mind .... that is .... until today ... So .... thank you so much for a great Tip!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2005, 07:14 AM

yes, I guess the first tip is not too great if you can't draw.
I can sometimes extrapolate features based on some remaining features like shape of the brow ridge, cheek bones, jaw line and muscle....but you are right you need some shreds to work with
I can also get a pretty good idea looking at the feature of relatives...like in a shot of a group of siblings, especially the ones where you have four or five in a group It is usually enough to go on to produce a drawing.
A couple of times I have done a sketch for the client first before I started working on a piece.
Guess I should have been more specific about the first part being more for the sketch artists

And I think I am going to rename my "swipe" file the frankenfile
Not just for body parts though, I have old cars, trucks, farm machinery, buildings, parts of buildings, hats, suits ....I try and keep everything dated as best I can.
I think I have more reference material than PS stuff to work on right now

Last edited by Juliana Ross; 02-01-2005 at 07:20 AM. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2005, 10:21 AM

Me again ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliana Ross
yes, I guess the first tip is not too great if you can't draw.
You hit the nail on the head!!!!
I couldn't draw to save my life .... (I can copy ... but 'imagination' drawing is beyond me!!! )

Quote:
And I think I am going to rename my "swipe" file the frankenfile

Quote:
Not just for body parts though, I have old cars, trucks, farm machinery, buildings, parts of buildings, hats, suits ....I try and keep everything dated as best I can.
I think I have more reference material than PS stuff to work on right now
Thanks again for another great Tip!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching