RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advertise Here

New Video Tutorial on Dodging & Burning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 09:24 PM

New Video Tutorial on Dodging & Burning

I have reworked my video tutorial on dodging and burning via an overlay layer and the brush tool.

It is nearly seven minutes long with a 720x576 window and high quality audio.

It is a Windows media movie (a .WMV file). I have tried many different audio and video codecs with Quicktime and Flash. Similar quality for Flash is twice the size, nearly 20MB. Quicktime is nearly 30MB.

This video is a template for forthcoming videos, so I am very interested in feedback. It includes zooms, cursor highlight, visual and sound effects for mouse clicks, and sound effects for keypresses.

The file will stream if you use Microsoft Media Player, but if you use a slower connection, you'll need to be patient. The file is 9.8MB.

If you need Microsoft Media Player, there's a link on my site. There are versions for different flavors of Windows and Mac OS.

http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/...oTutorials.htm

Enjoy!

I look forward to comments from people who view the video.

Cheers,

Mitch
Old 02-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Janitor

You have a good voice for tutorials (trust me, not everyone has ). I could do without the selectric sound effects, but I could see how some might find them helpful. Perhaps something more computer keyboard sounding?

Have you looked at the Ensharpen codec from Techsmith? It is designed just for screen captures, and makes very small, very sharp files (though the end user will need to install it, it's free).
Old 02-05-2005, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
You have a good voice for tutorials (trust me, not everyone has ). I could do without the selectric sound effects, but I could see how some might find them helpful. Perhaps something more computer keyboard sounding?

Have you looked at the Ensharpen codec from Techsmith? It is designed just for screen captures, and makes very small, very sharp files (though the end user will need to install it, it's free).
Thanks, Doug.

I used Camtasia Studio to make the video. I am leery of using a codec that will require a download. Ensharpen would not help here, however. It works great for graphics, like slides from Microsoft Powerpoint. It does not compress well at all with images that are continuous photographic tones, like the Photoshop desktop with a photographic image.

I used Techsmith's TSCC lossless codec for the original AVI. I use it like RAW for my images. I do all of my editing with it. The original AVI was 125MB. Ensharpen did not give me the same compression that I obtained by making a Microsoft .WMV file. The latest version of Microsoft's A/V codecs are great. None of the codecs available for Quicktime came close. I always heard noise and flanging. The MPEG4 for Microsoft Media Player sounds just like the uncompressed PCM from the original AVI file.

I just received Sorenson Compression Suite. Unfortunately, none of the audio codecs would work. As soon as it gets ready to encode audio, it hangs. As soon as their tech support comes up with a solution, I will try a Quicktime video with MPEG4 and the Sorenson 3 Pro codecs.

Cheers,

Mitch
Old 02-05-2005, 04:37 PM

A nice tuturial there!
I could also do without the sound effeckts. Also the screen where tou tell thath now we need to make the opacity layer is pretty quick flashing and i dont see any need for it. The sumary in the end was good one, although you might whant to only have kaywords and shortcuts textet.
So overall

i also tjecked out some of your other tuturials at your site and the one about low lkey pictures was really good. since it was under tip there wasnt any pdf you really should make one. I would like it

Also you seems to be the person to ask for a good tuturial about highkey photos. Both on how to make them in studio but also on how to make them in ps
i have done some atemps on high key photos but a tuturial would be really great.

/Lasse
Old 02-07-2005, 01:47 AM

I'm more or less a novice, and dodging/burning is not my strong point!

I found the video tutorial a useful learning tool - moreso than seeing a series of still screenshots - and will probably view it quite a few more times. As with the other posts, I agree that the clicking sound effects could either be disposed of or made a little quieter.

Other than the one little niggle about the "clicks", I was very impressed
Old 02-07-2005, 08:49 PM

I'm pleased the tutorial was helpful.

I purchased a preamp on Fri. and tried it tonight. It will let me bring in the audio at the same level as the sound effects. I'll be able to make them less jarring.

Thanks all for the helpful feedback!

Cheers,

Mitch
Old 02-07-2005, 09:51 PM

I think the Tut is great! I would prefer the Selectric noise to be softened but if that's the only thing I can find to complain about, I'm trying too hard to complain.

Great job, Mitch.

Robert Collins
Old 02-11-2005, 08:44 PM

New Version Available

There's a new version of the video available. It incorporates comments from this forum and other forums.

Thanks to all who offered constructive suggestions.

Changes include:

(1) New opening sound loop that's less jarring.
(2) Much quieter keypresses and mouse clicks.
(3) Layer is toggled on/off to show the effect of the changes
on the image.
(4) Two additional shortcuts explained: changing brush size
and opacity while you work.

It's now nearly 8 minutes long and almost 11MB. Best viewed by those with a high speed connection. The window is 720x576. So it can take a while to load on slower connections, although it does stream.

Cheers,

Mitch
Old 02-12-2005, 10:53 AM

GREAT video. Thank you for offering it!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:43 PM

I added a Quicktime .MOV version of the dodge & burn video.

http://tinyurl.com/58a6g

Now Mac and Linux users can take a look, too.

Cheers,

Mitch
Old 10-04-2005, 12:23 PM

Is Tutorial Still Available?

Hello. I clicked your link for the tutorial, and it said page not found. Is there another place it can be found? regards steveb
Old 10-04-2005, 02:55 PM

I found this url works to get into the tutorials.
http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/...l-darkroom.htm
Old 10-09-2005, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the teamwork, Sandra!

I completely renovated the site. So some resources moved. Sandra's message has the URL to the Digital Darkroom portion of my site. From there just go to Tutorials and then Video Tutorials.

Cheers,

Mitch