Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin Tone color corrections, CYMK or RGB?

Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Re: Skin Tone color corrections, CYMK or RGB?

That's great Ray!
Useful chart for those who needs a skin color reference!

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but here's two minor improvements;
- you might want to add to the chart what color space the values are taken from (they would differ quite a bit between AdobeRGB and sRGB, or SWOP/Euroscale).
- compress the chart with PNG if possible; not blurry JPEG
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2010, 01:09 PM

You are right on.

If you are a pro...then the color space IS important... and jpeg images average the neighboring colors on every save they do... to make smaller file sizes possible.

I do have the original image in Adobe RGB color space and as a tiff or psd file. The file size is a bit large so I shrunk this one down here and gave it an sRGB color space so it would show up well in a browser based viewing environment. If you put an Adobe RGB or PRO Photo color space On-Line...browsers can only accurately represent sRGB to the the image would look desaturated and dark to most all web viewers...thus... the low file size and s-RGB image.

The skin tone image above (and the download link especially) is good for a lot of general use. Its only the high-end guys that deal with $2000 calibrated monitors, multiple color spaces, and a professional distribution environment that would ever notice much.

I see you are a sharing and helpful kind of individual by some of the other stuff you, if you would like a copy of the larger Adobe RGB Color Space image... you can PM me here and I will set you up with a download link. Its a big file because of the 50 layers and TIF file format.

Last edited by ray12; 09-24-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Thank you for the kind offer, but I do not really need the original file.

As you say the values are only a guide and can't be used "perfectly" anyway due to the variations from image to image (and even from pixel to pixel within one image). But it might be useful in other situations to know that if you convert it to sRGB (dithering turned off) and save-for-web as PNG the color values should be perfectly fine (for sRGB) - and the file size will be very small (possibly smaller than the jpeg due to the illustrative nature of the image). <3 PNG.
You could save it as AdobeRGB as well; and even if it might show up wrong in someone's browser, they are going to use it in Photoshop where it will view correctly (and either way the values are preserved).

Ps: JPEG however doesn't store an image as RGB, but as YCbCr (usually with lower resolution and heavier compression for the color channels), so the color values might shift just from that; in addition the compression-artifacts in JPEG isn't due to averaging of values so it can't really be trusted for anything that requires accurate values.

Last edited by Chain; 09-25-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: (clearification)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching