RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

newbie retouching

Old 02-27-2005, 05:46 PM

newbie retouching

Hi, i am a newbie in this retouching world, and to digital photography in general, and a very entusiast one, ready to learn new tricks!!!. Last vacations i took a shot from my wife and mother in law, and i had the sun behinf them. I took others shots with the "back light" option from my nikon coolpix 2200. I trid to retotuch it with PS, with the lights/shadow adjustment, and to avoid the new noise introduced by the last step a median noise of 1,5%. I am not very happy with the results, so i seek help from anyone with more knowledge. Thanks and congratulations for running such a nice forum!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1197 chica.jpg (80.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg arreglin 1.jpg (82.1 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2005, 02:50 AM

Hola el jue,

Welcome to RP!

I think you did a pretty good job on your picture already .... in my opinion the background highlights were a bit 'blown' and the picture was just a tad 'flat' ....

What I did is:

Like you, I used Shadows/Highlights tweaking the sliders of Shadows (Amount and Tonal Width) and the Highlights (Amount by moving the slider to the right, the highlights decrease) ....

Instead of the Median Filter, I used Neat Image, very soft settings (Neat Image can be downloaded free here ) to minimize the noise.

I then used a Selective Colors and a Levels Adjustment Layers to improve tone and contrast.

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_arreglin-1.jpg (98.6 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Flora; 02-28-2005 at 08:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2005, 05:30 AM

you are right, i forgot that neat program (hehe), and focusing soo much on the main problem i didnt notice that the bakcground needed work too. One question, in neat image you had to micro manage the settings? you know a tutorial for working with that program, because i get good results but i leet the program automatically do the noise reduction. Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2005, 05:40 AM
Patron

Shadow Highlight

Perhaps this example is a little too much. Excessive. At any rate, I copied the background layer and extracted the couple from the background. Then ran Image adjustments>ShadowHighlights. Copied that layer using screen blending mode> Ran Neat Image ( I probably should have waited a few steps before applying this filter). Ran Levels adjustment layer to increase the contrast. Used the History Brush after I blurred the layer with G Blur.

I used a curves adjustment layer on the background to increase the contrast and painted on mask in black/gray the foliage on the right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2005, 06:15 AM

yes, you are right, is a bit excessive on the colors, but the colors on the bakcground became more interesting, more alive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2005, 06:56 PM

my version

I am also a newbie of this forum, hope you gurus can put some inputs on my work. thanks a lot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1197-chica.jpg (66.5 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 01:11 AM

el jue,

you are most welcome ... and thanks for your great feedback!

About Neat Image .... I don't know of any tutorial on how to use it but, from their download page, (link in my previous post) you can download the "User Guide for Neat Image v4.x - English version" which explains very well and clearly how to use this great program to its full potential!!!

As for me, I very seldom use its 'default' settings .... mostly I adapt them to my needs .... I have created a couple of 'standard' profiles for what I consider 'the usual' amount of noise or compression artifacts, otherwise, (when possible), I create a noise profile for each individual picture.

Hope this helps ....

Phil,

Yes, I also found your version a bit excessive and a bit hard on the edges ... but I agree with el jue .... great colours!!!

realaqu

Welcome to RP!

I think you did a great job!

... As for 'inputs on your work' .... just stick around this place and you'll get plenty!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching