RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Need advice unexposed film

Old 07-30-2006, 05:38 PM

I can't be the camera because you had this same problem occur with two completely different cameras. Were both of the failed rolls of film of the same type and purchased at the same time? I wonder if you could have gotten into a bad batch of film from the manufacturer.

Since you have an urgent need approaching (wedding), go to the store and get a different type and/or brand of film and try it very quickly and also try the rest of your current batch. If all else fails, go to a pro camera shop and rent a camera.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 05:39 PM

unexposed film

I always use a flash to take every picture, inside or outside. So that was not different. And the only time I ever use manual is when it is on a tripod, which is was not. And I used two different lenses, so it would not be a lens problem. The only thing I noticed was that at least the last half of the film, it sounded different when I took the picture. It sounded slower. And I looked at the battery symbol to see if my batteries were getting low. But the battery symbol showed full batteries and later my husband checked the batteries and they were above the amount they were labeled as. So that was not a problem. But the sound difference perplexed me because you internalize what the camera sounds like and it was different.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 05:44 PM

unexposed film

Yes, Bart, I wondered about the film. It was the same brand--Konica--because I get a free roll for every roll of film that I get developed. But it was not the same lot of film I don't think. I don't know for sure, though, because I get so many rolls that I just throw them in a drawer and take them out as I use them. I check the dates but that's all. I purchased some Kodak film today. If I buy film, I buy Kodak. I prefer the warmer tones to it over say, Agfa. It is puzzling.

I have an EOS 1N that I won about ten or twelve years ago in the Canon Masters Competion and it still works great but it has no built in flash and I don't use it as much because I have to carry a flash with me. I guess I will take that to the wedding.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 07:19 PM

This problem is impossible to resolve fully without a technician seeing the camera.

It sounds like Roberta has done everything correctly

The last few post lead me to suspect a film transport fault rather than a shutter fault but from what has been said I would definitely suspect the camera body.

This camera should not let you take pictures if the film is not loaded correctly.

The fact that you can read the numbers on the developed film not only excludes a processing fault but also a faulty film. However even if the camera has a fault, you may find that some makes of film will work and some will not.

Roberta, I don’t think we can help any further. Take your camera back to the dealer with the faulty film and let them have a look. I would be very surprised if they don’t offer to send it back to Canon under guarantee. (They may/should even lend you a body for the wedding while your camera is away)

Or you can use the EOS 1n with external flash. It may be bigger but will always give better results with the more powerful external flash.

Please let us know what happens.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 09:03 PM

unexposed film

I certainly do appreciate the input from all of you. I feel as if listening to all of you was much more help to me than calls I put in to Canon itself. Thank you all!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2006, 06:03 PM

unexposed film --the reason why

Sticky shutter. Has to be sent to Canon. 6-8 weeks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaHofmann
Sticky shutter. Has to be sent to Canon. 6-8 weeks!
Both cameras had the same problem?

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2006, 02:10 AM

and for the whole roll of film?...doesnt make sense

How about film itself......are you getting these rolls from the same guy?

sorry if that was thought of before, didnt have time to read through everything. Thats my next suspicion...the film itself.

Anychance you still have the canisters...you should be able to compare batch numbers to see whats what
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2006, 06:43 PM

If you had come into my studio with this and asked for help, here is what I would do.

Put fresh batteries into the camera. (I fix more problems with this than any other thing, even with the "I just did that last week" statement).

Open the back of the camera and make sure there is no film in it.

Try to "take" a picture with the back open, I am not sure if you can do this with this model, but its worth a try. If it will function, then place the f stop to its most open position and cycle the camera a few times at varying shutter speeds to see if I can detect any variation while I am looking through the lens.

Close the back and with no film in the camera, try to take a few pictures and insure what the frame counter does.

It appears the only thing in common between the two cameras is some blank film and the operator. I would really look for an operator error (which of course is imposiable )
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2006, 10:20 PM

this sounds an awful lot like not having the film completely in the feeder and it simply never advanced the film but advanced the film counter. the counter reads done, you rewind the roll, take it to be developed and it develops just fine but there's nothing there but the film markers.

so, like mike, i'd run some simple tests to see if this is possible.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography