RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Need advice unexposed film

Old 07-30-2006, 06:01 AM

Need advice unexposed film

A few months ago I got two blank rolls of film from my Canon Elan, spaced 4-5 rolls apart. Five rolls of film were perfectly exposed; two were totally unexposed. I figured the camera was getting old and I did not want to put the money into it, so I bought a new Canon Elan 7. I took about 20 perfectly exposed rolls with it. Then yesterday I got a totally unexposed roll. The camera is showing that the film is advancing. The numbers are changing in the display. I always check that. The display shows the film correctly loaded. Furthermore, it is not possible to take a picture with an Elan unless there is film loaded.
I have probably taken 10,000 rolls of film and have only had this occur these 3 times. Canon can offer no explanation. It says maybe there are shutter problems. But in two different cameras? Any why are the rolls either totally exposed correctly and then one out of the blue that is not? The printer says no way can it be their problem. Can anyone help? My email is Ewan72403@aol.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 06:18 AM

Hi Roberta.

Welcome to Retouch Pro.

Do you have the negatives?
Are they black or clear?
Can you read the frame numbers on the film?

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 07:09 AM

Post unexposed film

Yes, I have the negatives. They are a single, rusty red transparent strip. I can read the numbers on the top and bottom of the strip as well as the bar code.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 08:10 AM

Hi Roberta.

The fact that you can read the numbers means that the film has been correctly developed. So you can’t blame the processing (Print shop).

The film is clear (rusty red). This means that the camera has not exposed the film.

There are only three main reasons for this.

1) The shutter has not opened (or a similar fault)
2) The film has not wound on
3) You have mixed up exposed and non exposed films (This is more common than you would expect)

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 AM

Hm, tricky.

Do you know what makes the count increase? I know about cameras which check for a loaded film with a small tab in the film thingydoing, you know where the film-roll is put into. The count is just measured with the internal mechanism of the camera. Other cameras have a small gear which is actually measuring the movement of the film. Difficult to say

My guess is broken film.

Or as Ken said you mixed them up but it's unlikely because it's obvious a film is not exposed when there is a small strip left outside the camera as the camera mechanism automatically rolls back the entire strip completely.

Well, hard to tell...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 10:08 AM

The Elan 7 (Known in the UK as the EOS 30) has a custom function to allow the film leader tongue protruding which makes identifying exposed and unexposed film impossible.

On this model the frame advance is controlled by an I/R diode.

Roberta.
Is there any sign at all of the frame edges? The arrowed bit in my picture?

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_ist2_102592_35mm.jpg (47.4 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 10:49 AM

unexposed film

I don't think I mixed up the film because I took it out of my camera and put it back in the canister and then set it next to my purse. Canon says that the film counter is not a simple function of how many times you press the button down, that it reads the numbers on the frames. I guess otherwise if you got to 24 and had a roll of 36 in there, how would it know not to let you continue pushing? The leader on the roll was totally tucked inside the camera. It was not protruding.
And as to the shutter--it seems odd that first it would happen on a five year old camera and then on a brand new camera and all within 3 months when it has not ever happened to me in ten years previously and at least 10,000 rolls of film. I used to take pictures for Ohio School Pictures and took hundreds of rolls every year with that first Elan. Never had this happen before.
I just don't get this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 10:57 AM

unexposed film

No, there is no sign at all of the frame edges. I am just sick about the pictures I lost of my grandson and husband together. And in two weeks my son is getting married and I am worried about the camera malfunctioning then. I just wish I knew what the problem was. although it is obviously, still under warranty, to take in something with an intermittent problem would be useless.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 11:03 AM

unexposed film

Wouldn't a broken film look broken?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
although it is obviously, still under warranty, to take in something with an intermittent problem would be useless
I disagree.

Take your camera back to your dealer with the film and insist that it is checked by Canon. While it is under warranty it will only cost the postage to have it checked.
Unfortunately it may still be away when you need it.

There is a known problem on OLDER Canon shutters which causes missed frames however it would be very unusual for it to affect only one full film (unless it was unusually hot). And this problem does not usually occur until the camera is way, way out of warranty.

Did you do anything different with that one film? E.g. use a different lens, use all flash? Use manual control?

Ken.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography