RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

My 9-11 / WTC photos...

Old 09-12-2006, 01:40 AM

My 9-11 / WTC photos...

After 5 years I had to finally sit down and face a few demons. One of those ways was going back and looking at the photos I took, although not graphic, they brought back some vivid memories. So this was very helpful to do, and figured some of you might be interested in seeing them. One note, I am not and do not claim to be a photographer. =]

I lived 4 blocks from the World Trade Center when they were hit and my office was 2 blocks away in another direction. Needless to say my reality was changed that day, and I had been, and still am a little, hiding from the memories.

After they fell, you had to show ID to get below a certain street to show that you lived near ground zero. Since I did, I thought I would take some photos....

I just scanned these and cropped them. Most are mine, there are a few that are from friends that were a little further away, and there are a few that are super close that were taken by a photo store down the street from me, so I asked them for a copy. You will be able to tell which ones they are.

There is nothing gory in these, just an odd sense on the streets.

The photos of all the news people was taken on my buildings roof. We were the first building north of the tower to have electricity, so all of the news folks setup cameras on our roof. Mind you it was a 40 story building. The cars that are on top of each other were actually put there 2 days after the collapse cuz they were just moving things out of the way.

I uploaded the larger files in a zip or individially if you want to look closer.

Here is the link for the photoshop webgallery

http://fazools.com/911

and here is the link for the 30 meg zip file with all of them in a larger size.

http://www.fazools.com/911/large/large.zip

If there are any that you MUST have in a higher quality, let me know and I will scan them at a higher resolution.

Regards,

Dane (fazools)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2006, 05:30 AM

Thanks for posting Dane, brings back lots of memories (ones I will never forget).

Seems like only yesterday that I saw these scenes on the TV (I was at home that day, and saw all this unrolling live on screen). Must have been awful for those like yourself who were so close.

My thoughts and prayers are of course with all those who experienced loss from this bestial attack.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2006, 10:59 AM

Thanks, Dane. I hope working with these images has helped you process your feelings also. Seeing the still photos is different than the TV coverage -- I remember sitting at the computer for days after 9/11 looking through hundreds of images of the aftermath. The photos show the destruction, but also show the people's spirit -- the "God Bless the USA" fingered in the dust debris on the window, the flowers left on the fractured vehicles in the street...

A picture speaks a thousand words, and sometimes speaks when no words are sufficient.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2006, 11:03 AM

That is an excellent tribute to those lost in the 9/11 attacks. These are photos taken by people who live and work in the area that changed history. I was also at home and watched in horror as it all happened on the news. I can't even begin to imagine what it was like to be there in person, and to be wondering what was coming next.
Your shots of the press etc are a view not many people will have seen, and give yet another side to it all. Well done in capturing this moment in time and for sharing this with the world. It is a shame you had to whiteness the sick behaviour of those that did this, but you were right to capture this on film for the world to see
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2006, 08:38 AM

Poignant pictures. These pictures can still give rise to feelings that no words can express. I'm sure you can still experience the same mind-numbing horror and shock today as you did five years ago.

God Bless,

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2006, 01:45 PM

I was in college about a half a block from the white house (corcoran college of art and design) when the pentagon got hit...and then all the reports of the white house on fire, the capitol on fire, the mall on fire started coming in. Getting home was a mess, normally a 15 minute car ride took me about 2 hours. A complete zoo. and scary as all hell
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2006, 02:37 PM

Dane, the street images tell a heart rendering story. Thank you for sharing. There are some who feels these images and the videos shot while events unfolded should never be seen again. I feel just the opposite. They serve as a reminder of the enemy we face and the price we pay for ignoring the threat of their twisted, sick minds.

Can you tell me the name of the building that I circled in the photo below? It's very faint and I can't recognize it. Just trying to get my bearings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic.jpg (66.5 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2006, 03:03 PM

That is the Woolworth building. =]
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2006, 03:06 PM

There is a video I found that is unreal. It is 26 minutes long and from the same perspective I had that day, except I was on the ground below.

It is a .MOV file so right click on it and download since it is too large to stream.

http://www.fazools.com/911/video/

this is one of the best videos I have seen...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2006, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the info on the Woolworth Building. :-)

I saw the video about a week ago and sat transfixed as scenes of the WTC from 500 yards away unfolded. It was sureal in that the unscripted voice over and children's music playing in the background gave you such an eerie feeling.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography