Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Film vs. Digital

View Poll Results: Do you shoot film or digital?
Film exclusively 2 2.63%
Digital exclusively 53 69.74%
Both, but mostly film 6 7.89%
Both, but mostly digital 15 19.74%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Film vs. Digital

We did this a year or so ago, I thought it would be interesting to try it again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Re: Film vs. Digital

Digital all the way. I hate the hassle and expense of dealing with having to get my slides processed then having to scan them. I'm shooting almost everything for print in Camera Raw now and I have so much control over the final product.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 03:21 PM

I would have to agree. Digital is the way to go. I can take ten photos, and keep the best one, and delete the rest. This gets expensive with film, I can also get my pictures as fast as I can download them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 04:10 PM

When you take photos as badly as I do, then its got to be digital. At least with digital I've got a chance of getting a couple of good shots without spending a fortune developing worthless tat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 05:50 PM

Depends on the job, but mostly just has a look to it that lacks in digital...pushing film, cross processing, shooting high speed film for grain...just things that add to the image that digital just can't quite get yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 07:29 PM

Film exclusively.

I'm cheap! That's basically what it boils down to. With pros jumping off the film ship and swimming over to digital in droves I can pick up all kinds of deals on film and film bodies. I picked up a Canon EOS 3 with PB-E2 for $350CAD in June. Immaculate condition! I really don't think I could get the same amount of camera in a dSLR for much under $5000. Honestly now, check the specs of an EOS 3 with PB-E2 and compare that to most dSLRs out there on the market. How much would I have to spend to get the equivalent body in digital?

As far as film goes, I buy pro film, recently expired and in large lots. I generally don't pay more than $2-3/roll before processing (pro film, remember) and I have a lab near by that does my processing (to negs only) for around $2/roll. I do my own scanning and I'm off to the races.

Time is not an issue for me. I don't have deadlines and I don't need to see my shots right away. I shoot carefully, bracket, check exposures, compose each shot and go.

Good clean fun either way, though, you have to admit!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 11:51 PM

Digital! I love being able to check my last shot and re-doing it while I have the chance (instead of waiting for processing to find out that I missed the shot/missed the exposure and realize that I "missed the boat"). I can change ISO speed if necessary instead of missing a shot or having to have two camera bodies (one slow film/one fast film), I can work with my images instantly and process raw or jpeg files to tweak exposure/contrast/saturation/sharpness/color/etc. I still scan a few old slides/film strips, but just because those subjects aren't alive now to re-shoot in digital. Digital gives me flexibility, quality, immediacy, control, and cheap "film".
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2006, 02:19 AM

I have many years of experience using film in formats ranging from 35mm to 6x7cm to 4x5in --both in the camera and in the darkroom. But, I haven't shot a single frame of film in the last couple of years. Frankly, I don't miss it.

While there is still a place for film today, current digital technology is quite good and getting better all the time. In my opinion, digital is now as good as or better than film for the majority of common tasks. Yes, there are differences. But, I feel there are many more positive aspects than negative ones and digital provides me far more flexibility and control.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 12:42 PM

While I love film, I'm impatient and want to see what I've shot NOW, right NOW.

There are still some issues with digital that I'm learning to deal with. One is that no matter what digital I shoot with there seems to be a contrast issue. Digital just doesn't seem to treat the darker areas of the photo fairly. Two is the bulb setting for star trails, etc. Digital can't yet compete with very long exposures.

That said, digital is getting better all the time. I've progressed from a tiny, 3mp, point and shoot to a nice DSLR with sophisticated lenses. I haven't looked backward; and I'm enjoying the view.

P.S. I recently donated my old film camera and lenses to the local community college for use in their beginning photography classes. Now for sure, I'm digital all the way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2006, 01:54 PM

Haven't shot film since I got my Nikon D70 in 10/2005.

Haven't had one complaint about digital print quality from my most vocal photo critic and fan: My wife.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography