RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Posting images for no good reason.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:06 PM

Posting images for no good reason.

Is this the place for posting images I would like to share, just because I want to?

No manips, critiques, or questions..just something I like that I want to share with the group. Comments optional.

If not here...where?

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2006, 05:25 PM

Re: Posting images for no good reason.

Steve, I'll be interested in hearing the answer to that question also. When they added the Photography forum, I was hoping that was part of the plan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2006, 05:33 PM

I occasionally share a picture I like, and one I believe others would play with. I am careful not to overdo it, but at times, I am interested in how some of the members would enhance a particular photo..it provides me with ideas!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2006, 10:28 PM

offhand, i'd say photos go in the photography forum i also know doug is trying to encourage more postings and i fully agree. 1stLite (dawn) recently posted a similar thread in the salon wondering where to post stuff on a recent project she'd just finished. there is no forum specifically dedicated to just 'showing your stuff'. generally, your personal gallery is for that. you do know you have personal space on RP, right? but on the other hand, myself, if this were my forum to moderate, i'd love to see more photos. we're not photobucket or one of those and the 100k limit still applies here in the forums, but i see nothing in the forum description or the FAQs that restricts posting photos here, whatever the reason.

you might also consider putting camera settings along with the photos if you do post them here. that seems to be fairly standard on a lot of photography sites.

but for all i can see, this is the photography forum. so, if you're not going to put them in your gallery...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Janitor

I've no problem with posting your images that you're proud of here. But just so you know, you can post bigger versions over in the Gallery.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
I've no problem with posting your images that you're proud of here. But just so you know, you can post bigger versions over in the Gallery.
I have posted to the gallery, but have had little feedback from there. Also last time I tried posting there, seems some of the things associated with posting had changed and altho I posted some things I couldn't locate them.

How about a refresher course on using the (our personal) gallery.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway
How about a refresher course on using the (our personal) gallery.
There's not much to it. Size limit is 200k, total limit is 1meg. Everyone has a gallery that is located via their username. If you upload it's automatically put into your gallery (unlike the challenges, where you have to be careful where you upload). When you upload and also afterwards you can choose to receive an email whenever anyone makes a comment.

It is more sparsely populated than the forums, but I've always felt that if more comments you make in response to other people's uploads, the more comments others will leave you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
There's not much to it. Size limit is 200k, total limit is 1meg. Everyone has a gallery that is located via their username. If you upload it's automatically put into your gallery (unlike the challenges, where you have to be careful where you upload). When you upload and also afterwards you can choose to receive an email whenever anyone makes a comment.

It is more sparsely populated than the forums, but I've always felt that if more comments you make in response to other people's uploads, the more comments others will leave you.
That helps...I'll try again there, or try here.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 05:48 PM

i posted a bunch of my favorite images at dreamtime , where you images should go if they dont need work , this forum is about pictures that need help , now i have some great snap shots , of a confontation between traffic wardens and a army tank in the center of cardiff , these are my favorites but they dont need work , but i will gladly post them for anybody that wants to see them ,but this site is about pictures that need help
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinnola
... this forum is about pictures that need help ...
Quote:
Dave, we have other forums for photos that need help (lots of them); so I would think that this forum is about photography, not retouching or restoring photos. The description of what can be posted is wide-open "Both digital and film", but the forum is listed under "Technique", so I guess posts should relate to technique -- images posted could be photos that need no help, but are examples of a particular technique (macro, portrait, landscape, wide-angle, etc.) with details of how they were created. Certainly images that need help could be posted here also, but with the idea of getting ideas on how to better handle the exposure, the depth of field, the focus, the composition, etc. so that the photographer could try to improve their next photo of the same situation -- rather than trying to improve the photo by retouching it, which could be a topic in another forum. Of course, being digital editing junkies, I'm sure we'll offer ideas on how to fix the current sample as well as give ideas on camera/lens technique.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography