RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Nikon D50 vs Canon Rebel XT (8mp)

Old 11-21-2006, 03:25 PM

Nikon D50 vs Canon Rebel XT (8mp)

Hey all,
Would ppl in the know please help me choose a digital slr? Im an amateur, will be experimenting a lot. I have read a lot of reviews, they both (from title) seem equally good. In your experience, which one will be better?
Oh, also, whats a good lens to get started with?
Thanks a bunch in advance.
Fatima
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2006, 04:41 PM

Re: Nikon D50 vs Canon Rebel XT (8mp)

This could be an endless discussion. There are a large number of photographers in the Canon camp and probably just as many in the Nikon camp. If you are starting from scratch, I'd look for the best deal...I don't think you could go wrong with either brand. The type of lens you buy depends on the type of pictures you plan to take and if this is a casual hobby or a serious undertaking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2006, 06:57 PM

I'm a Canon person but recognize that Nikon is an excellent camera and that the two companies seem to be competing heavily for the lion's share of the market.

When I was researching, I found http://www.fredmiranda.com to be an excellent resource for both camps, Nikon and Canon. Also http://www.dpreview.com has top notch reviews on camera gear. You won't go wrong with either.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2006, 07:35 PM

Well, I hate to complicate things further, but just a few days ago Nikon announced the D40, which will eventually replace the D50. The list price of the D40 is $300 less than the D50, $$ that could be spent on a better lens or other assessories, like an extra battery, case, memory cards, etc.

See http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond40/
...for tech info. In a nutshell if the D50 looked good to you, the D40 will most assuredly meet your needs from a technical perspective.

re: whats a good lens to get started with?
What will your subjects be?
* Flowers
* Kids around the house
* Closeups of insects
* General snapshots
...or what?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2006, 08:35 PM

Digital camera are basically like computers...if you wait long enough..you will get a better camera at a lower price...you just have to decide when you want to jump in. That said, blog discussions believe that Canon will introduce a new line sometime in early 2007...possibly at the higher end. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Well, I hate to complicate things further, but just a few days ago Nikon announced the D40, which will eventually replace the D50. The list price of the D40 is $300 less than the D50, $$ that could be spent on a better lens or other assessories, like an extra battery, case, memory cards, etc.

See http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond40/
...for tech info. In a nutshell if the D50 looked good to you, the D40 will most assuredly meet your needs from a technical perspective.

re: whats a good lens to get started with?
What will your subjects be?
* Flowers
* Kids around the house
* Closeups of insects
* General snapshots
...or what?
The initial purchase of the D40 may be $100 less but the cost of lenses will be more expensive if you're looking to use auto-focus.

This from the DP-review of the D40:

"Perhaps the biggest negative on the D40 is that it doesn't have an internal focus drive motor and hence no mechanical focus drive pin, instead it only has CPU contacts which means it can only Auto Focus with AF-S and AF-I lenses (those with built-in focus motors). Indeed our 'standard' lens the Nikkor 50 mm F1.8D (and the F1.4D) are manual focus only on the D40."
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 11:00 AM

Hey all, sorry I didnt notice these posts since I guess I missed them on the first page! Well I will primarily be using the camera to photograph kids, people, some landscapes I guess...not too much macro work, I dont think. The news is that my husband has ordered the canon for me for my birthday and it'll probably be here soon...will let you all know how I like it
Thanks for the tips...
Fatima
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 12:17 PM

In my opinion canon digital,nikon film,I have both and after researching them thats how i decided. I have a nikon fm2 and a canon digital rebel 8mp.

They are both excellent camera companies,but i think canon has the edge over nikon in digital
zganie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography