RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Silly Newb questions.. for the photography gurus..

Old 12-12-2006, 10:40 PM

Silly Newb questions.. for the photography gurus..

I absolutely love to take photos. In particular I love to take portraits of people, and I also love a classic 40's glamour style (and I like pictures of buildings, but this question really doesn't pertain). Anyhow.. I want to get some professional lights, but my time doesn't allow for me to really justify getting something big and bad. So, my question is.. does anyone have suggestions for some professional lights that will do the trick but aren't super expensive? I work full time and I go to school fulltime (woo, break time), so I can't take photos as often as I'd like.. But it's hard to ask people to let me take their photo when I'm using floor lamps.

Also, forgive me I haven't done the google search, but what does one of those giant rolls of paper run you? I imagine a lot.. I saw some sites with fairly cheap canvas backdrops, but I want to get a slick background, not the canvas texture.. If I got a black muslim backdrop, could I mask the texture pretty easily with the right lighting? Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a link to some work I've done with people: http://www.modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=97263
No objectionable content in my profile but the site does have some overall, so just be careful if you're at work or something. :p

By the way, for those who are curious.. I do my shooting with a Canon S2 IS. I'm still learning more about the manual settings, but I do love it so.. If you can love a piece of equipment..
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2006, 12:14 AM

Re: Silly Newb questions.. for the photography gurus..

I am a Broncolor user myself but they have grown more expensive to the point that they are almost too much.....
I have used the new "Alien Bees", they are nice and practical and produce beautiful light. Google 'em

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2006, 08:13 AM

Lighting can be a trick question. Studio setups are not cheap; and for those of us who don't have a studio or who shoot in the field can be a catch 22. Some sort of reflector (they make ones that fold up and can be used a variety of ways) is a good investment. For lighting, I've seen everything from a homemade floor lamp base and #10 cans painted black on the outside and white on the inside to the expensive/purchased gear. Your best bet is to research and improvise until you set up a professional studio.

My two cents worth.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2006, 12:04 PM

Search for Smith Victor kits, they've really good pro lightning but not so expensive as Photoflex, and try to search on adorama.com

Hope this helps.

Silvia.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2007, 04:35 PM

guong bao is chinese and doesnt have the high price! They have 3 or 5years warranty on their elctrical equipment. They have CE-approved products for use in Europe! But don't know if anybody besides the factory sells them...

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2007, 10:28 PM

The big rolls of background paper are about $40 I think, been awhile since I bought one. However, that is the price if you pick it up at the camera store, there are extra charges to ship the thing since its so long. Remember that they are kind of heavy so if you put it up above your model, make sure it stays up there!

When you talk of lights, are you talking of hot lights or electronic flash?

Janet mentioned reflectors and this is a way to really learn to light. Use window light or work outdoors. One can either block the light where needed or reflect more light into a face or where needed. Large reflectors can be made from sheets of the 1 inch solid insulation sheets available at the large box hardware stores. Cut the sheets in half, tape them together on one side using gaffers tape to make a hinge so you can set them up. Depending on the style of sheets available in your area, one can paint one side with a more matte paint (white) and then cover the other side with smooth mylar to make a super reflective surface. Lots of fun without spending a ton of $'s
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2007, 11:56 AM

the bowens gemini 125 kit might be something for you

http://www.bowens.co.uk/catalog/prod...roducts_id=258

cheap and is a nice startup set.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography