RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Daily Critique -- from Craig Tanner's website

Old 01-25-2007, 10:23 PM

Daily Critique -- from Craig Tanner's website

UPDATE: Oct. 24, 2008 - the Radiant Vista website has closed. Craig Tanner's website has "The Daily Critique" - you must sign up (free) to view it.

From the Radiant Vista website
"What Is The Daily Critique?

On many workshops, critique is one of the most powerful learning tools. Critique gives us a way as photographers to develop a vocabulary that describes what works and what doesn't work about an image. As we grow our understanding of this descriptive visual vocabulary our ability to conceive and pre-recognize great images dramatically improves.

Each day a 3-5 minute video will be available for download. This video will feature a submitted image for critique onscreen with a soundtrack, which will contain the same kind of spoken critique you would receive on a workshop - along with a pointer onscreen that will be used just like a laser pointer would be used in a live critique...."

Click on the link below to see today's critique video. They only archive them on their website for two weeks, so look daily or at least once a week if you're interested in this type of learning.
http://www.radiantvista.com/dailyCritique/

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 10-25-2008 at 01:34 AM. Reason: updated website link
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2007, 07:53 PM

re: Daily Critique -- from Craig Tanner's website

I see there are some folks viewing this thread, but I don't know if anyone besides me is viewing the "Daily Critique". I'm going to keep watching it because I'm getting some use from it (now if I can remember how to use his suggestions, it will actually help my images), but I'm wondering if anyone is viewing it, whether they think it's useful or not, etc. I know that downloading a video can be a problem for folks with dial-up (I hate my broadband bill, but I love my fast connection), so is anyone able to view it?

It's so quiet in here! (echoing) .... in here .... in here ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 PM

HI CJ,
Oh i am visiting that website... I like his workbench video's very much.... and I have been downloading them and trying them...

this week offering the camera take 5 pictures with different focus setting.. at this time not that applicable to me however I have friend who is real heavy into photography and very good , I think he would like that particular tutorial so I am passing that along to him...

I wish there was a gallery of the workbench tutorials, I like some of the insight he gives, I would like to download more but for now there is n't a gallery... going to email him and see if one can be setup... or if they can offer them on cd/dvd ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz
I see there are some folks viewing this thread, but I don't know if anyone besides me is viewing the "Daily Critique". I'm going to keep watching it because I'm getting some use from it (now if I can remember how to use his suggestions, it will actually help my images), but I'm wondering if anyone is viewing it, whether they think it's useful or not, etc. I know that downloading a video can be a problem for folks with dial-up (I hate my broadband bill, but I love my fast connection), so is anyone able to view it?

It's so quiet in here! (echoing) .... in here .... in here ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 PM

Yippee! You're watching them! Yes, that one on the macro is interesting to watch, but I'm not likely to actually do anytime soon -- but it's still fun to learn and think about the possibilities. Their website sells CD's but they don't have the workbench or daily critique on them -- so maybe if enough folks ask, they'll burn them to a CD and sell them -- but I'd rather just watch them online. I can understand how keeping all those videos online would be costing THEM bucks for the bandwidth, and they're in business like everyone else to make some money -- although they really GIVE away a lot of free information and advice -- which is excellent quality and gladly accepted by me and hopefully others.

Thanks for posting, Jerry -- the echo's gone away.... away...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2007, 08:29 PM

hi,
Your welcome.. oh yes i am watch and trying to follow his tutorials...

I wrote to them once about getting past workbench tutorials,... and for subject line, I used WORKBENCH, but the message got bounced saying it was spam.. lol.. so tomorrow I'll try again with a differnet subject line.. smile.. and see if i can sneak thru...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz
Yippee! You're watching them! Yes, that one on the macro is interesting to watch, but I'm not likely to actually do anytime soon -- but it's still fun to learn and think about the possibilities. Their website sells CD's but they don't have the workbench or daily critique on them -- so maybe if enough folks ask, they'll burn them to a CD and sell them -- but I'd rather just watch them online. I can understand how keeping all those videos online would be costing THEM bucks for the bandwidth, and they're in business like everyone else to make some money -- although they really GIVE away a lot of free information and advice -- which is excellent quality and gladly accepted by me and hopefully others.

Thanks for posting, Jerry -- the echo's gone away.... away...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2007, 06:20 PM

I just discovered RV a couple of weeks ago and love it. Although in Thailand, I have DSL and (with a bit of a wait) can view the videos.

Jerryb mentioned taking a series of photos, each at a slightly different focus. I've tried this and the results can be really excellent - visually very interesting (but I was using film back then and the time lag from shooting to viewing was lonnngggg). This gave me an idea, though:

Take a series of photos at a) different focus, and b) different exposures, then process in HDR. Wow can't wait to try this out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Thumbs up re: Daily Critique -- from Craig Tanner's website

CJ,
I'm a big fan of th RV, Great website.
Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2007, 09:39 PM

For those of you who can access the Daily Critique videos, take a look at this one while you can (they can't keep them all posted for more than a couple of weeks) -- this is a portfolio of different photographers of varying experience who have submitted excellent work worth viewing. Some abstracts, some portraits, some landscapes, some architectural -- something of interest to everyone!

http://www.radiantvista.com/archive/daily_critique/600/
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2008, 01:29 AM

Re: The Daily Critique -- from The Radiant Vista w

Radiant Vista is now closed. Each of the photographers / instructors have their own websites and will continue some of content we loved on Radiant Vista.

Here's their parting notice --

October 24, 2008
Thank you to each of you for being a part of The Radiant Vista over the past three years. We deeply appreciate all of your support and inspiration.
The Radiant Vista features you have come to know and love have migrated to different sites that have been launched by Craig Tanner, Mark Johnson, and Matt Gibson.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2008, 07:30 AM

Re: The Daily Critique -- from Craig Tanner's webs

HI CJ
I have watched it on and off for many years. Thanks for the update of the new web sites, I just registered at Mark Johnson's site.
cathy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography