RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Let's post to a theme: "Strong/Strength"

Old 01-31-2007, 12:20 PM

Re: Let's post to a theme: "Strong/Strength"

Thanks for the comments, it's the photo I am most happy with out of the 1000's I've taken.
On the strength theme, how about measuring the strength in horse power
Taken last year at Woolley Horse Show, West Yorkshire, UK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h1 (Medium).jpg (86.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg h2 (Medium).jpg (78.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg h3 (Medium).jpg (86.1 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2007, 04:59 PM

Hi all! I haunt retouchpro now and again looking for help or just inspiration through the other forums, but was sometimes frustrated that it was mostly aimed at creating something new from photographs. I'm so happy to see this forum!

Although I've played around with cameras for most of my life, I'm still a beginner - digital has renewed my love of photography.

Anyway... this little guy seems to scream "strong".

(now gotta figure out how to attach the picture....)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Porter Zoo 9-30-06 (27)a.jpg (52.2 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 01:07 AM

Steve, there are few things that match the strength of a locomotive ("more powerful than a locomotive, faster than a speeding bullet -- it's Superman!"). I have a fondness for trains since my brother built HO scale models, and a lot of wonderful '40's movies contained scenes on trains -- makes me want to take a ride on the Grand Canyon Express! Okay, this is a freight train,...

Chris - I love horses - they're my favorite form of horsepower! Jumping contests are one of our favorites. Timing the shot can be tricky, and I think you really got your best capture on the third image.

discinque -- what a gorgeous snake -- I love the lighting and the colors/texture/patterns, and the EYE. Is it a boa?

I'm also very happy that Doug Nelson added a photography forum -- I enjoy doing some retouching and I learned to enjoy photo art, but when I'm out with my camera, I'm trying to come home with some memorable photographs. We can improve our images with post-processing, but the best place to improve them is while we've still got the shutter button under our finger, waiting for the right light, the right composition, the right timing, the right combination of shutter speed and aperture. Hopefully, we'll all get more practice and create more memorable photos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 AM

I couldn't agree more CJ - Photoshop is one of the things that got me back into photography. I always read about the post processing that was available to film - but never had the money or resources to do any of it. Now with PS I can do all that and more. I'm really not sure WHAT it is that bugs me about photo art... heck - I like to do it too. Maybe it's like taking another artists work and saying "ohhh I can make that better". Seems wrong somehow... but sure is fun... lol

Thank you for the kind words about the photo... yes, it's a boa.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz
Steve, there are few things that match the strength of a locomotive ("more powerful than a locomotive, faster than a speeding bullet -- it's Superman!"). I have a fondness for trains since my brother built HO scale models, and a lot of wonderful '40's movies contained scenes on trains -- makes me want to take a ride on the Grand Canyon Express! Okay, this is a freight train,...
Yes, trains are great. Will pass up a plane trip for the railroad anytime. Probably only a cruise offers a more relaxing trip. There are still some good trips to be had on AMTRAK and if you are "in the chips", the American Orient Express.

I am also partial to "train" movies.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 AM

I agree about trains V planes, give me the train anytime, planes are too impersonal.

But it's got to be a corridor train, with the separate individual compartments like they used to have, I don't rate the open plan seating favoured on modern trains.

When you're enclosed in a compartment that only sits 6-8 people you almost always end up striking up a conversation, open plan allows you to ignore your fellow travellers too easily.

I used to travel 60-70 miles to college daily on a corridor train, and I've had some great conversations with people who started off as complete strangers, but who were much less so by the end of the trip.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
I agree about trains V planes, give me the train anytime, planes are too impersonal.

But it's got to be a corridor train, with the separate individual compartments like they used to have, I don't rate the open plan seating favoured on modern trains.

When you're enclosed in a compartment that only sits 6-8 people you almost always end up striking up a conversation, open plan allows you to ignore your fellow travellers too easily.

I used to travel 60-70 miles to college daily on a corridor train, and I've had some great conversations with people who started off as complete strangers, but who were much less so by the end of the trip.
Have ridden in these compartments on trains when in Europe, and even if you don't speak the same language you still make friends. Everyone likes to point out the sights along the way.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 02:38 PM

Caesar was definitely "strong" ....

This is the fountain in front of his palace in Las Vegas.

Stosh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BNW-Caesars.jpg (99.8 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh7
This is the fountain in front of his palace in Las Vegas.
Didn't know that Caesar had ever visited the States, I thought he'd died some time before its discovery.

Nice pic by the way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2007, 09:08 AM

Thanks ...

IMHO, the bucks left at the "palace" could be enough to rescusitate a dead man ... even over the 2050 years ole Julius has been gone .

Stosh
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography