RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Just a thought for this forum

Old 02-02-2007, 09:32 AM

Just a thought for this forum

An idea that proved very popular on a photography forum I was on, was "photographic assignments". They ran once a month (like RP contests) and the winner picked the assignment theme for the following months contest. No prizes, just a chance to try your hand at assignment photography and have others see/judge your results. Only rules were that the photo had to be taken after the start date of the contest/assignment (no old photos).

Just thought I would throw the idea out in to the open, and see if anybody fancied giving it a try? I know it is very much like C J's "post to a theme" , but thought it may add to this idea
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2007, 10:27 AM

Re: Just a thought for this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
An idea that proved very popular on a photography forum I was on, was "photographic assignments". They ran once a month (like RP contests) and the winner picked the assignment theme for the following months contest. No prizes, just a chance to try your hand at assignment photography and have others see/judge your results. Only rules were that the photo had to be taken after the start date of the contest/assignment (no old photos).
Chris, this is exactly what I was leading up to -- thought we'd see if anyone was interested in "posting to a theme", and if anyone showed up, we could get ourselves out of the house (well, at least out of the computer room) and start some new shooting.

So, let's see -- what would you all like to suggest as our first Assignment?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2007, 10:44 AM

Great idea Chris and CJ.

You don't want to ask me. I'd pick something from nature .

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2007, 10:58 AM

Cool, it's great seeing how many different interpretations there are when people take photos based on a theme. The Fuji forum I was on had to close http://fuji-forum.com , but they ran some great "No prize" contests. It really got people thinking and trying things out with their cameras.
As I like the outdoors, I would suggest "nature at work" as an assignment. I know it's very open ended and could mean anything, but seeing what peoples interpretations are, is one of the best bits .

I hope these take off, as they were very popular on the other forum and great fun to participate in
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2007, 11:00 AM

Janet, great minds think alike You posted as I was replying. Nature photography is something I really like, even if I'm not very good at it .
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2007, 11:20 AM

Nature is always my favorite subject, also, so let's go with that. I'll set up a new thread, and we'll get it started.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2007, 11:34 AM

Thumbs down Re: Just a thought for this forum

Great Looking forward to this. Best get my memory card emptied, as I will more than likely take 200+ shots just to get one I like
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2007, 11:51 AM

Chris, I've looked at the Fuji Forum's Assignments before, but I really don't remember the details, and now I can't find any since they've closed down. Did they limit the number of images that a person could submit for each assignment? Did they restrict voting to those who submitted entries, or were other folks encouraged to vote? Any other details that we might consider for our setup of how the assignment should operate?

That goes for anyone interested -- we can make changes along the way, but if you have ideas on how you'd like this to start off, please post your ideas. The main thing is to give us a little more incentive to get out and shoot something new -- and know that there's an audience waiting to take a look at it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2007, 12:24 PM

From what I remember each person could submit up to 3 images in total. They could be manipulated/edited as they pleased, as this was part of the photographic process. Then at the end of each assignment, the people who posted images, voted on their top 5 favourite images (giving member name and what image made them vote for the person "if more than one was posted" )

All votes were added up and the one with the most votes then chose the theme for the next months assignment.

When posting more than one image, the member would edit their own post (entry), so that all 3 images were attached to the same post.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography