RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

February Photo Assignment - Discussion Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:31 PM

Re: February Photo Assignment - Discussion Thread

Our cats are used to rabbits, as we have always had at least one. We lost or New Zealand White rabbit a few weeks ago, and he was quite big. But the mother and father of these were the size of a small dog Mother was a British Giant and Father a Flemish Giant. Strange mix, but they both had great temperaments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 AM

discinque, I REALLY like your image. It has a great feel and mood to it. Only thing I would do to change it is get rid of the light bit at the top right corner. Maybe clone a few extra bricks to extend the wall or something. But other than that, it's a stunning image
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 09:46 PM

Thanks Chris! I had struggled with that spot.. I had cropped down as far as I was comfortable cropping (there is a parking lot behind there) - it was starting to look less and less like a tree. And I wasn't sure what the rules were about making that kind of change to the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
discinque, I REALLY like your image. It has a great feel and mood to it. Only thing I would do to change it is get rid of the light bit at the top right corner. Maybe clone a few extra bricks to extend the wall or something. But other than that, it's a stunning image
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 09:48 PM

Oh man... those are just too cute.

Quote:
These photos are not really on topic with the assignment, but it is nature of some kind Thought I would put them here for a bit of fun.
This is our two new "British Giant" baby rabbits playing with our cats, then having a sleep. Cats will be in for a shock when they are fully grown (only 7 weeks old at the moment )
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2007, 01:55 AM

I think this months (the first) assignment is all about testing the waters. We don't have rules as such, so they can be made up as we go along. I think being edited in photoshop is OK, as this is all part of the processing. I only have a Finepix S3000, and that is more or less a point n shoot camera. Without photoshop my images wouldn't be worth showing. I have made a few modifications to the camera, with filters, lenses and flash redirection, but thats about it's limit. There are very few manual settings, so I just find work-arounds to get what I want out of it.
IMHO , as long as it stays and looks like a photo, and it's not over-edited, it's OK .
This is my quick retouch of your image (hope you don't mind )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remodeling.jpg (86.9 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2007, 07:54 AM

Don't mind in the least - and thank you for the heads-up. I've made the adjustment myself and will post it as a reply to my original on the other thread.

Quote:
I think this months (the first) assignment is all about testing the waters. We don't have rules as such, so they can be made up as we go along. I think being edited in photoshop is OK, as this is all part of the processing. I only have a Finepix S3000, and that is more or less a point n shoot camera. Without photoshop my images wouldn't be worth showing. I have made a few modifications to the camera, with filters, lenses and flash redirection, but thats about it's limit. There are very few manual settings, so I just find work-arounds to get what I want out of it.
IMHO , as long as it stays and looks like a photo, and it's not over-edited, it's OK .
This is my quick retouch of your image (hope you don't mind )
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2007, 08:23 AM

Well I messed up a bit. Thought I was in the discussion thread, not the assignment thread. So if you want to delete/move my posts to Gary in Assignment thread, feel free CJ

Now back to why I popped in . Just took these this morning, so thought I would post them here, plus add my macro spiders web as my entry for the assignment.

First is a wider shot of the frozen spiders web, that I shot with my DIY macro lens for the assignment.

Second one is the tree I spoke to Gary about, it's an odd looking thing, with these bright red cones on. The reds look blown out in the image, but that is exactly how it looks in real life
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web1.jpg (87.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg tree.jpg (86.5 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 09:16 AM

Wow Chris, very very nice. I like the color and the feeling of peaceful morning quiet. I also love that you're able to create great photos with tools on hand. That you don't need to spend $1000's to recreate what you see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2007, 09:52 AM

CJ, I love the concept - nice to see nature isn't as fragile as we sometimes believe. Without knowing the options you had... looking at the picture I would love to see the face of the flowers - if you could still have the dead vegetation in the background - or even framed in a way to make the contrast of living/dead more stark.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2007, 03:14 PM

Nice shot Chris, the web almost looks like a shattered window, or the ice in a frozen puddle when you've stamped on it.

Anyone know what kind of tree that is? I've never seen cones that colour before.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography