RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

February Photo Assignment - Discussion Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:18 PM

February Photo Assignment - Discussion Thread

One of the questions in my mind is whether we want to discuss images as they are posted, and whether we want to use a separate (thread like this one) for that discussion. That's how they do the contest in the Retouching forum, and it works well for that. We're doing something new and it can be set up the same as other places or it can be different.

If we keep one thread with just the images and no comment posts, then it will be easier to see folk's work by just running thru the posts. For those of you who submit your work, and are hoping to hear some comments on your entry, would it be better to have a separate discussion thread for you to look at, or would you like the comments mixed in with the assignment photos? If it makes any difference to you, post your preference. We can always do it one way and change it for the next assignment, no biggie.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2007, 03:28 AM

Re: February Photo Assignment - Discussion Thread

I notice there has been a little confusion over the "Assignment" idea already, but IMHO we should let old images be OK for this month. We can use this months Assignment as building exercise to get people interested, to work out guidelines between us all, and to see what people have achieved with their cameras. In other words make it a free for all, as long as the image in within the assignment theme .
Then once we have worked out all the guidelines, fix the assignments to new images within what ever rules we work out from this months.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
I notice there has been a little confusion over the "Assignment" idea already, but IMHO we should let old images be OK for this month. We can use this months Assignment as building exercise to get people interested, to work out guidelines between us all, and to see what people have achieved with their cameras. In other words make it a free for all, as long as the image in within the assignment theme .
Then once we have worked out all the guidelines, fix the assignments to new images within what ever rules we work out from this months.
Couldn't have said it better myself -- thanks, Chris, for saying it for me!

We're doing "Nature at Work", and we're trying to get us out to shoot NEW images starting as of Feb. 2nd, and due before the end of the month. But I don't want to miss out on Mystical One's shots from Tasmania, 'cause it's neat that we're getting images from Tasmania!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Don't worry about it, Mystical One! As far as I'm concerned, this first time is a test ride to see how folks would like to have it work. Some forum challenges on other websites say "photographed OR processed" within the time limit, so your "defense" sounds good, if you needed one.

If you have any shooting data, you can edit your post with the image and add it, or you can post it in this thread. If you don't have it available, we'll just have to enjoy your image and guess how we might do it if we were in Tasmania.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2007, 07:17 PM

OK, I suppose I'm adding fuel to the fire; but

How can anyone tell if the image is NEW or OLD (other than the seasons of course)?

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
OK, I suppose I'm adding fuel to the fire; but

How can anyone tell if the image is NEW or OLD (other than the seasons of course)? Janet
Shhhh, Janet! I was hoping no one was going to ask! On this board, we would have a harder time using the seasons -- folks from the S. Hemisphere, Europe, U.S. -- heck, Arizona looks like winter in the mountains but spring will be popping up in the deserts soon.

If we were giving away prizes worth money, then I suppose we'd have to figure out a strict set of rules and a way to live by them. Just another reason why I don't wanna do that. [submit photo containing EXIF info in file -- then we'll run it by our computer expert to make sure someone didn't insert false EXIF info.... ]

Soooo, as far as I'm concerned, the whole idea is just to encourage us to go out and shoot new images, (or this time around, PROCESS new images ). No fouls will be called, no fingers will be pointed, and we're all in it for the enjoyment of seeing something in nature and bringing home an image that captured a precious moment in time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2007, 07:37 PM

I got ya. Mum's the word. Shhhhhhhhhhhh

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
I got ya. Mum's the word. Shhhhhhhhhhhh
Janet
Good. Since it doesn't look like many people are reading this thread, I think we're gonna get away with it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2007, 04:04 AM

These photos are not really on topic with the assignment, but it is nature of some kind Thought I would put them here for a bit of fun.
This is our two new "British Giant" baby rabbits playing with our cats, then having a sleep. Cats will be in for a shock when they are fully grown (only 7 weeks old at the moment )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0156.jpg (67.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0163.jpg (76.5 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2007, 11:25 AM

I remember getting e-mails with photos of Giant rabbits and checking them out with Urban Legends (snopes.com) and being surprised that the photos were not altered -- hadn't seen rabbits THAT big before! I've had cats that liked to play with rabbits, and it will be interesting to see what happens when the bunnies grow to maturity. My cats live with medium size dogs that they bully sometimes; when a big dog comes to stay for a few days, I could swear that the cats just stare at him in wonder...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography