RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Voting -- Entries in February Photo Assignment

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 03:51 PM

Voting -- Entries in February Photo Assignment

This thread is open for voting by members who submitted entries for this assignment.

Voting is permitted only by members who have submitted entries. There are only a few entries submitted, but I'll set up a gallery page so that it's easier to see them all together.

February Assignment Gallery: Nature at Work

Post your choices (in this thread) for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd by listing the member's name and the name of the image if the member has submitted more than one.
Vote for the 3 best entries in order.

Voting will be open from Feb. 28th at 6:01pm (MST) to March 1st at 10pm (MST) Haven't been able to get in touch with one entrant so I'm giving a little more time.

Example Vote:
Pick the top 3 entries and list in order...

1. Entry X (First Place)
2. Entry A (Second Place)
3. Entry C (Third Place)

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 03-01-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:12 PM

Re: Voting -- Entries in February Photo Assignment

Here are my votes:

1- Gary Richardson
2- CJ Swartz
3- JanetPetty (waterfall)

Stiff competition! All of your pics were so wonderful but I had to keep the "theme" in mind and chose Gary's first because of "nature at work"-ing to survive despite frost ( which he captured, plus I liked the lighting). I chose CJ's 2nd because I lived in Tucson (we used to be neighbors, CJ) for 15 yrs. and I remember the exhileration of seeing anything grow in the desert ~ that's work! And finally, Janet's waterfall is a testament to the power of the essential element of water and its strength, 'nature at work'.

Great assignment, CJ!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:37 PM

I guess I missed the part about voting. Here I was blithely going on my way and posting happily just for the fun of it.

Sigh, here I go: 1. Discinque - tree roots at work on man made sidewalk.
2. Chrishoggy - spider web - great shot btw.
3. CJSwartz - New growth
3. (yes there are two 3s) Gary Richardson - frost. Brrrrr.

There. I voted.

Janet
Old 03-01-2007, 10:53 AM

Some nice shots coming through to say this is the first contest in this forum.

My Votes:
1/ discinque . This image really fitted well with the title IMHO, with the tree at work lifting the paving stones. This image had what seemed to me, to be a grunge style/effect. A quite dark and moody looking image, but very interesting and would hang it on my wall any day.

2/ Janet Petty "waterfall" . This image reminded me of a photographer I admire for his shots of the Lake District. It was very close to his silky water shots, and looks like a very well thought out image. http://www.richardlindley.co.uk/gall...nes/index.html

3/ Mystical One. I just love Macro shots and this one really shows the details of some of natures smallest creations at work. Great shot
Old 03-01-2007, 12:28 PM

Hi guys.....

1. Chrishoggy - loved the picture
2. Gary Richardson - Nice lighting contrast
3. ScubaMargie - perfect interpretation of the theme
Old 03-01-2007, 12:36 PM

1/ discinque . This image really fitted well with the title IMHO, with the tree at work lifting the paving stones. This image had what seemed to me, to be a grunge style/effect. A quite dark and moody looking image, but very interesting and would hang it on my wall any day.

^_ I didn't participate, but I agree that this is the top shot. Not voting, just saying.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:50 PM

OK, first of all I think it's only fair to declare my total ingnorance of the technical aspects of photography, over and above that of the average layman. So my decisions have been made solely on what appeals to me, and if I've inadvertantly discriminated against a technically difficult piece I apologise for my ignorance.

With such a variety of shot, lighting and topic (even in a relatively small group as this) it is almost impossible to compare one against another, so once again I've just gone with gut feeling and what I like. Incidentally I liked them all, but these were my favourites.

That said, here are my votes.

1st Disinque Loved the lighting on this one. I know its been worked on but that doesn't take away from the basic soundness of the composition. I think it catches the essence of nature reclaiming its own pretty well.

2nd CJ Swartz The dew drops on the petals got this one for me. They just added that touch of focus to the picture that drew my attention. Course CJ had the advantage of that lovely Arizona light, rather than the stygian gloom that we in England have at this time of year, but it's still a lovely shot.

3rd MysticalOne It's the subject that gets this one for me. Getting a shot of something as transient as a fly is a triumph. Whenever I've tried anything similar the fly has always moved, sometimes just enough to blur the shot, usually enough so it's not even in the shot. Congratulations on your patience.

Almost forgot my manners, thanks to CJ for putting up the gallery, didn't make the decision any easier, but at least viewing was more convenient.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:41 PM

1:Mystical One- Great macro of a busy little creature.
2:chrishoggy- love the definition of the web and water drops.
3:JanetPetty- harbinger of Spring- nature surely is showing her photoshop skills in this one, nice colour.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaMargie
3:JanetPetty- harbinger of Spring- nature surely is showing her photoshop skills in this one, nice colour.

I'm sorry if I had to laugh. The only photoshop skills in this nature set was sharpen and a touch of curves to color and contrast. Thanks for the vote. The pictures were taken with a light heart and cold fingers.

Janet
Old 03-01-2007, 11:05 PM

My votes are

1st -- Disinque - I love the coloration of this image, I love the concept of Nature winning over the man-laid rocks, and the composition and overall image quality are very good.

2nd -- Janet Petty - waterfall -- I love the composition of the image with the water drawing me along from the top to the bottom, I love the slowed shutter speed's effect on the water, and I think that it fits well into the theme.

3rd -- ScubaMargie -- bathtime -- I'm a "sucker" for furry mammals, and I love mama's caring for their young. Fits into the theme, overall image quality is good.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography