RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Photographed TODAY (or Processed today)

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:08 PM

Re: Photographed (or Processed) TODAY

Hi,

Here's a movie poster I just finished for a group of local producers.
It is a documentary of a true story from this area. (Central PA)

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poster.jpg (34.1 KB, 98 views)
Old 04-29-2007, 12:28 PM

I was out in the woods w/my Canon 30D and was quickly reminded that I was only in a park in the middle of Brooklyn. I came across a fire hydrant in the middle of the woods. Oh well, it was fun to pretend I was out hiking away from the city for awhile. I just processed the raw files today.

I used to shoot in B&W all the time. I really love printing in the darkroom. Since I started shooting digital (this is the first digital camera that I own), I noticed that shooting for B&W has changed. The options are infinite in how I can manipulate the raw file. I have to admit, I'm having a bit of trouble when it comes to the B&W conversion. Here are 2 versions that I did with this image. Any tips?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hydrant1.jpg (95.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg hydrant2.jpg (95.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-29-2007, 01:40 PM

Syd, thanks for the compliment.

Little Fisher, great shot!. Since we tend to leave or plant little pieces of woods in many of our cities I love the ironic statement made by the little piece of city in the woods.

I think you did a fine job with your adjustments. You brought the details of the hydrant out and much improved the tonal balance of the photo in general. I would say your on the right track. Nice work!!

Alan
Old 04-29-2007, 05:36 PM

This is, Eli... our nextdoor neighbor.

I took him and my two children to the local McDonald's, where he got these high fashion sunglasses as part of a Happy Meal."

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP Eli 2007-04-29.jpg (98.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-29-2007, 06:04 PM

Ive been editing some images of a Swedish "boy"-band I shot the other day.Heres two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rp_boy_band.jpg (98.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 04-29-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fisher View Post
I was out in the woods w/my Canon 30D and was quickly reminded that I was only in a park in the middle of Brooklyn. I came across a fire hydrant in the middle of the woods. Oh well, it was fun to pretend I was out hiking away from the city for awhile. I just processed the raw files today.

I used to shoot in B&W all the time. I really love printing in the darkroom. Since I started shooting digital (this is the first digital camera that I own), I noticed that shooting for B&W has changed. The options are infinite in how I can manipulate the raw file. I have to admit, I'm having a bit of trouble when it comes to the B&W conversion. Here are 2 versions that I did with this image. Any tips?
As you have discovered, digital BW conversion options / methods are plentiful, perhaps too plentiful. A nice problem to have, I guess.

Although I found it difficult initially to find the intended subject because just about everything in the image is in sharp focus and there is relatively little contrast (tone-wise) between the hydrant and background, I especially liked how the hydrant was framed by the foreground trees.

Ideally (IMO) it would have been nice to have shot this at f/2.8-f/4 (assuming you have a DSLR) so the hydrant would have been in focus and the foreground and BG were a little fuzzy. If you cannot manipulate DOF in RAW converters (I don't shoot RAW, so I don't know), sometimes the illusion of a narrow DOF can be achieved in Photoshop (or equivalent) by using blurred layers and selectively applying the effect using Layer Masks.

Placement-wise I prefer a subject more off center than centered and crop accordingly when possible.

Contrast variations can be applied by various means (burn, dodge tools, layer blend modes, adjustment layers, etc.). Nice to have multiple options here, too.

BW interpretation is really subjective, so take my commentary and interpretation with a grain of salt. If nothing else, hope this gives you some ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP hydrant2 djr.jpg (98.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 04-29-2007, 08:22 PM

Danny, you are really going to LOVE CS3. Black and white conversions are a snap. And since you have upgraded, you will also find the lens blur filter simulates depth of field quite well with just a wee bit of tweaking afterward. I'm sure you are going to have LOTS of fun. And BTW, depth of field cannot be simulated in RAW. You are safe there.

Janet
Old 04-29-2007, 10:07 PM

Here is one from today, Sunday 04/29. As soon as I saw the April competition I had this shoot in mind, but it was past the date .

Canon 20D, EF24-70 f2.8, ISO100 1/100th @ f9.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deedee_color.jpg (92.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 04-29-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWThomp View Post
Here is one from today, Sunday 04/29. As soon as I saw the April competition I had this shoot in mind, but it was past the date.
It would have won hands down too. I do find that the man's missing lower jaw is just a tad distracting. But the story is there and it is a wonderful capture!!!

Here is my "processed today". I've been passing this old farmstead for years now and always thought I should take a picture as it was so well kept up and picturesque. Wellllll......I didn't. The widow who lived here died. The family doesn't want the home or the land. You can see what it looks like now. So sad.

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg After Grandma Dies.jpg (96.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-29-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty View Post
It would have won hands down too. I do find that the man's missing lower jaw is just a tad distracting. But the story is there and it is a wonderful capture!!!
Janet
Thank you Janet. I agree about his lower jaw line. I wish I'd had him about 6 inches or so to the left. It was a tough shot to get, I was laying on the floor with the camera just a few inches off the floor (I'm getting too old for that kind of stuff .

Thanks again for the nice compliment and hopefully, I'll figure something out for May and before the deadline .
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography