RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

New camera

Old 03-23-2007, 05:22 AM

Re: New camera

Richard takes some stunning photos IMHO, and I've seen quite a bit of his work over the years. He ran a forum for quite some time, but work committments gave him less time to run it, so I now run one to keep the members in touch. I would love to be at the same level as he is, but thats going to take years of trying and learning.
I used to go on holiday near Ashness Bridge as a kid, but haven't been there for the best part of 20 years. I was out n about last weekend (before I got the camera) and went through Holmfirth and up on to the moor. I was quite shocked by how close we are to the Derbyshire boarder and moor (25-30 miles), as I've never really gone in that direction before. We tend to head towards Whitby (North) and up on to the moors there for days out. So I'm hoping to get back to the Derbyshire boarder this weekend and do some exploring and shooting (with the camera).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2007, 02:48 AM

Done a fair bit of walking in N Derbyshire in the Dark Peak area, lots of Peat Hag so be careful when you go off road and wear gaiters always (not that they're always sufficient).

Best after lo........ng dry spells (not that you get many of those) else it's a quagmire. My wife has some amusing shots of me waist deep in a bog hole that looked just like all the surrounding peat prior to me standing on it.

She was helpless with laughter for about 15 mins (snapping away for all she was worth) before she eventually condescended to help me out.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 03-24-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2007, 07:12 AM

My Mrs would have done exactly the same. But if I was to laugh at her in a similar predicament, it would be a different story
Not sure if I'm going to get out tomorrow, but fingers crossed I will have my last 2 jobs done for tonight, so I get a full day off tomorrow
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
My Mrs would have done exactly the same. But if I was to laugh at her in a similar predicament, it would be a different story
Got it in one , had the situation been reversed, any delay of help more than 10μsec would have resulted in ceaseless grief for yours truly for the rest of the day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2007, 09:52 AM

That's life Gary. Must be a woman thing (only joking ladies )

Been having a play with how far I can push the limits of this camera.
This is a shot of a chimney pot about 80 yards from my house. No extra lenses, just the 10X optical zoom on the camera (shot in RAW mode). Then a mixture of neat image and resizing in photoshop to give what IMHO is an amazing sized image for this camera type.
Dialup warning, this image is just over 5MB
http://www.chrishoggy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/main.jpg

It looks even clearer in the 67MB .tiff format
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2007, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the 5M warning Chris. Had time to make a cup of tea, drink it, and still get back with time to spare.

Impressive performance, was it hand held or tripod mounted?

I think you need to discover vertical.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2007, 05:12 AM

Just stuck my head out of the back door and took the pick, no tripod

We have a sparrow hawk that uses the neighbours shed as an eating post for it's catches, so I'm hoping to get a nice clear shot of it at some point and enlarge it. Problem is it shoots off the second it sees any movement, so it's going to be a waiting game. I've just ordered a Tele lens for it too, so this should give it a bit more of a boost.
I just need to get used to setting the camera up quickly for shots, and getting used to what settings work and what doesn't. I don't like using "auto" modes, as it seems to make too many wrong decisions IMHO. The same image taken in auto mode was not worth bothering with, as it set ISO too high and made the image as noisy/grainy as hell .
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2007, 08:13 AM

Chris, the "Program" mode allows you to use the camera to make decisions about shutter speed and aperature when you need a quick shot but it also lets you make a "program shift" in aperature (when the light makes it possible) if you want to make a change. Shutter priority might be a good bet also for your speedy hawk so you can set it high enough to catch him even if he bolts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Hi Chris,

I've got a SpuggyHawk visits my garden from time to time too, usually trying to "beat" the small birds out of the hedges.

They come to feed on my bird feeders, but hide in the hedges when it appears.

It's only occasionally and I've never yet had chance to get a shot. Best chance I had was when it made a kill one time, then sat on the top of the swing in next door's garden to eat it, but by the time I'd got my camera from upstairs it was long gone.

Hope you get a shot, they're really a beautiful bird, and damned manoeuvrable in flight considering their size.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Would be nice to get a shot of it in flight, but thats got to be 1000's - 1 chance.
We usually see the feathers floating down before we see the hawk, as it seems to catch them as they fly out of our gardens.

Thanks for the tip CJ. I've just been using Manual Mode to date, so will look in to that.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography