RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

New camera

Old 03-21-2007, 02:52 AM

New camera

Well I've got myself a new S5600 that was a true bargain. I played 2 shops against each other who had a price match promise. First I got them to give me a free 1GB XD card, then started the price battle. Ended up paying £113.26 including the extra memory card .
Camera specs : http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/ca...x.php?&flash=9
I must say that so far I am very impressed with the camera, and spent most of yesterday working out all the manual settings. Then I made sure al my home made lenses from my S3000 fitted it OK.
Here are a few testing shots with and without my modified macro lens. Plus my first attempt at a night shot .

Macro is of a UK 5p coin in normal camera macro mode, then with my lens added.
Night shot surprised me, as I couldn't see that many stars with the naked eye (shutter was open for 15 seconds to get this). I will have to link to it as the image is a little too big.
http://www.chrishoggy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/night.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0140.jpg (59.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0135.jpg (75.9 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2007, 03:36 AM

Re: New camera

Quote:
Night shot surprised me, as I couldn't see that many stars with the naked eye
Most people are surprised if they look at the night sky just with a pair of binoculars, there really are far more stars out there than are visible just to the naked eye.

Nice Macro Chris, look forward to seeing what you do with the new camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2007, 04:03 AM

I'm hoping to get a nice moon shot, so can't wait for some clear night sky.

Made my first boo boo with the camera yesterday, as the ISO was set to auto by default, so some images came out a little noisy. I've now set it to default to 64 to get the best image I can out of it. I found I can nearly double the image size when set at ISO 64, and have virtually no image quality loss. Anything above ISO 150 and things become a little grainy/noisy. Today is going to be a reading day, as I'm searching through sites for tips n tricks to get the best out of the camera and it's settings.

For the price, I can't fault this camera at all
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2007, 04:16 AM

Sounds and looks like a pretty good camera Chris. Nice Buy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2007, 09:10 PM

Chris, I bought the same camera last summer (was a great buy even then), and I am really happy with it. I've found that shooting raw format helps reduce some of the overly ambitious noise reduction algorithms embedded in the camera when you shoot jpeg, but keeping the ISO low like you're doing works in most situations also.

I had an Oly 2100 2megapixel 10x zoom camera (actually still have it -- great for IR shots) which did well in many ways, but this Fuji has much less camera lag when shooting, as well as increased resolution, etc. I have been able to capture some situations which would have been lost with my UZI (frame moving subject, press shutter, UZI shutter "thinks" about closing, subject moves past point of focus, shutter finally closes, subject is long gone... )

I know you'll find more and more to enjoy, and no buyer's remorse because we didn't spend much!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2007, 07:03 AM

Thanks CJ, I did notice that using RAW format was giving slightly better results. Now I have my 55mm-49mm step down ring, I can use all my 49mm filters and lenses on it.
I'm hoping to get in to the Yorkshire Moors this weekend, and try to create some "Silky water" Images. Not sure if this is the correct name for it, but I'm trying for the same effect as Richard Lindley gets in some of his shots http://www.richardlindley.co.uk/gall...nes/index.html I'm assuming this is done with a slow shutter speed and tripod for stability.
I've also been trying for the water droplet shot too, and got quite a good one after only a few shots. Using the manual focus helps a great deal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0321 (Medium).jpg (36.6 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy
http://www.richardlindley.co.uk/gall...nes/index.html I'm assuming this is done with a slow shutter speed and tripod for stability.
Silky water shots like those on his site occur when there is no wind. It helps when the water is not moving. It also adds when the sun is just right so that reflections are crystal clear.

Now, if you are talking about silky water shots of moving water, then a an f-stop of 22 and a very slow shutter speed will do the trick. A neutral density filter also helps cut the light and allow for longer exposures in brighter light.

Enjoy the water pictures in the galleries of these two photographers: http://www.cloudland.net/tim_ernst_photos.html and http://www.glennwheeler.com I know both of these men. They are wonderful nature photographers--water especially!

I hope this helps.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2007, 08:57 AM

Thanks Janet. The moving water is the one I'm wanting to get. You also answered my next question before I asked it, about what filter to use to alow longer exposure in daylight
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
...Enjoy the water pictures in the galleries of these two photographers: http://www.cloudland.net/tim_ernst_photos.html and http://www.glennwheeler.com I know both of these men. They are wonderful nature photographers--water especially!...Janet
Janet, you know Tim Ernst!!!! Love his work! When I first went online in the '90's on AOL, Tim was so helpful in the Nature Photography forum. I have one of his gorgeous books and agree with you about the wonder of his photography.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2007, 03:24 AM

Enjoyed the link to Richard Lindley's site Chris, I used to have it Bookmarked but somehow it got removed in one of my purges.

Is there anyone who's visited the Lakes who doesn't have a picture of Ashness Bridge?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography