RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Camera Information

Old 04-10-2007, 08:38 AM

Camera Information

I am so thankful I found this forum.

First think you in advance for any information.

Ok, I would love to become a better photographer. I love taking pictures of my family and son. I would love to start my own Wedding photography business. I know that is will not happen overnight.

I am not rich, and my money is tight sometimes, but I am wondering if any of you ladies and gentleman, could give me some tips on the best beginning camera to purchase. I have been looking at some Nikon, Canon, and Fuji cameras. The one that I truly liked cost $7,999. that amount could possible pay off my car. So I kNOw that I will not be getting that camera. I plan on taking a photography class at the university in my town. So I can learn the basics of good photography. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2007, 10:01 AM

Re: Camera Information

One could write a book about this

Remember that a good camera does not make a good photographer!!!!!
A good photographer can use a simple camera to make good photographs!!!!

My best advice is that you NOT buy your good camera till after you have taken some courses in photography and learned enough to judge for yourself what it is going to take to do the job that you want to do. I cannot remember how many students I have had that after going through one of my courses have looked at the camera they bought before and said something like, wish I had not bought that, it is not going to work for me.

A camera is only a tool, you need to know what you are going to do before you pick out the proper tool. If you are going to take a course, I would ask the teacher what they would suggest you use while in the class. When it comes to learning things like composition, framing, timing etc, one could use a cheap disposable camera for that. However when talking about things like depth of field, stopping action, off camera flash, then a different camera would be needed.

So I would suggest that if you want to be a wedding photographer, then you need to take the photo classes, remember to take at least 2 business classes for every one photo class so you know how to run the business side of it, then when you do all of that, buy the tool that fits your style and needs and remember that one wedding can pay for the $8K camera, the second wedding will pay off your car, and the third wedding will then be pure profit!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2007, 10:10 AM

Hi Joiday! And welcome.

You and I sound like we're in the same boat. I love photography, would love to be able to make money doing it, but don't have the money to invest. If you go to sites like dpreview.com you can get reviews of the different cameras and also see actual comments from users.

In my opinion - right now the differences in the DSLR cameras (I assume that's what you're looking for) are negligible. So... really you probably can't go wrong with the cameras on the market right now. I have always been a fan of Minolta cameras (so much so it still hurt to call them "Konica-Minolta" and now .... sigh "Sony"). So I had waited for them to come out with their DSLR. Shortly after buying the 7D camera, they were bought out by Sony. Sony made a couple changes (sensor) and renamed it the Sony A100 (Alpha). Sill the same camera/mount.

Like I said, you would probably be hard pressed to find anyone that can look at 5 pictures and tell you which camera took which. But there were some other reasons I chose the 7D. With the 7D the "anti-shake" is built into the body instead of the lenses - so all my lenses I already own become anti-shake without further investment. <so reason 1 - already great lenses without additional cost... and I can get more lens for the money I have and still have anti-shake>. Now, the anti-shake on lenses IS better... but not THAT much better.

And the other reason is.... KNOBS!! My GOD I love having knobs to turn over trying to use lcd screen menus. LOL. So... there's my pitch... I had lenses and can get more cheap, and I love the layout of the controls.

Whatever you choose - have fun with it, know that as soon as you buy what you want something better WILL come out, and come back here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiday
I am so thankful I found this forum.

First think you in advance for any information.

Ok, I would love to become a better photographer. I love taking pictures of my family and son. I would love to start my own Wedding photography business. I know that is will not happen overnight.

I am not rich, and my money is tight sometimes, but I am wondering if any of you ladies and gentleman, could give me some tips on the best beginning camera to purchase. I have been looking at some Nikon, Canon, and Fuji cameras. The one that I truly liked cost $7,999. that amount could possible pay off my car. So I kNOw that I will not be getting that camera. I plan on taking a photography class at the university in my town. So I can learn the basics of good photography. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2007, 01:28 PM

>>>> cost $7,999.

What??
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak
>>>> cost $7,999.

What??
Scary huh?

Scary Camera Prices
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2007, 05:16 PM

I agree with Mike. Take a few classes first. See if you can assist another wedding photographer, perhaps get yourself a lesser DSLR and be a second shooter. After you get that down, learn the craft and the business, you'll know whether or not you will want to proceed and drop a chunk of change on a high end DSLR. I tend to use the Canon line, they haven't failed me, yet, and the interface is fairly intuitive for a beginner. Before you jump to the head of the line, check out the 30D, or even the newer Rebels aren't bad to learn on. You aren't going to be trekking through the Amazon or hiking in sub-zero weather, right?

LF
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 PM

I also agree with Mike, but at some point you need to buy a camera and practice. As mentioned, go with the low end Rebel SLR (Nikon has one as well if you like Nikon). You currently can get the new one for around $725. Go to the book store ..look at the magazine and books on photography. If you find something interesting buy it, study and practice. I certainly wouldn't worry about that $7000 camera. You will be amazed at what you will be able to buy in three or four years when you are ready to upgrade to a different camera. What most photographers advice is to invest in good quality glass (lenses) for the camera. Camera technology is changing every 18 to 24 months.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2007, 04:46 PM

The Digital Rebel might be "low end" in some books; but it is a fine camera all round. And if your hands are small like mine or the weight of a larger camera gives you problems, then the Rebel series is right on the money. My only advice is the stay away from the advertised kit lens and go for one level up. You won't be sorry.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Smile Re: Camera Information

Take some classes to learn about taking pictures and the pros & cons of the cameras and the options. Go and check out a few of the camera's you're thinking about. Hold the camera's in your hands. Feel them - do they feel comfortable to you? You will need a camera to get going that's for sure. Being an Olumpus fan for 30 years, I'd go with a Nikon or Canon DSLR. Know with the Nikon, if you buy a cheaper one and then down the road buy a better one, the lenses will fit the better one. We just went from Olympus to Nikon and had to buy all the lenses and flash over again. Had we just stuck with Nikon the first time around, could've kept the same flash and lense at least. I'd have to agree that while we all dream of being great photographers, it isn't as easy as it sounds. There is a lot to taking a great picture. Once you learn how to do that, you'll have to learn how to do post processing and then you're out another $600 for photoshop. I've got 4 digitals - got each one for a different reason. Only you can decide what's important to you in a camera and what isn't. The Nikon people love their Nikons, the Canon people love their Canon's. You just need to figure out which one trips your trigger. You can have a $7000 camera and end up with photos that look like they were taken with a $25.00 disposable. It's a matter of techique. Good luck! Have fun!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2007, 02:33 PM

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH...

I hope nobody minds but I coped and pasted each of your comments and printed them out. I am so excited about the photography class. I am so going to take ya'lls advice to heart.
Quote:
So I would suggest that if you want to be a wedding photographer, then you need to take the photo classes, remember to take at least 2 business classes for every one photo class so you know how to run the business side of it, then when you do all of that, buy the tool that fits your style and needs and remember that one wedding can pay for the $8K camera, the second wedding will pay off your car, and the third wedding will then be pure profit!

That is so awesome. I am looking at the classes online right now..Thanks again. I will be back to let ya'll know who the classes go...thanks....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography