RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Flashes in general

Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 PM

Re: Flashes in general

Here is a couple things to try

- custom white balance, or at least set the manual white balance to tungsten (little picture of a light bulb, or specify color temp of 2800 to 3200)

- position 100 watt bulb where you want the light coming from, set the 50 watt light pretty much on top of the lens to act as fill light.

- use a tripod. to check the tripod for stability twist the top where the legs meet, if you get flex there you are getting bounce when you click the camera. To help remove shake be carefull to squeeze the trigger instead of pushing and push down on the tripod with the other hand.

-Rr
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2007, 01:50 PM

I can probably go to £150 max, can anyone recommend a flash kit for around this price?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2007, 01:54 PM

Thanks roger that's useful advice for the interim. I will definitely try those ideas, especially the white balance.
As with any hobby there's so much to learn and so little time!!! It's about knowing all the little techniques that add up to a great final product, it's a long road and I've only just passed the start line! So thanks for your help so far
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2007, 02:02 PM

One can do without any kind of artificial light if one moves over by the window and uses reflectors. Have you thought about that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2007, 02:52 PM

Any better??

http://img139.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_405lo.jpg

As per Roger's advice
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2007, 03:18 PM

Thats a rather nice shot. The white balance is a bit off ( unless you aimed for the slightly orange look ).

Cords are a hazzlöe. Better to trigger the flashes with a cheap IR transmitter on your cameras hot shoe. To be able to move freely as you shoot is a blessing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2007, 04:59 PM

yeah I added quite a bit of red, was going for a warm look, I know it's not perfect but hey it's an improvement! you were right about the sharpness (of course!) I now see how these two are connected.

http://img124.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_423lo.jpg

Generally tho, seems alot sharper even tho I've scaled it down quite alot. I'm on the right track

Last edited by SchlinkyMalinky; 04-16-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2007, 12:31 AM

Great shot - I really like it both warm and normal. It has an edgy pro quality about it. good job on placement of the lights.

I can see from the catchlights in the eyes you put the fill right where i said, on the lens! To understand why this works I would highly suggest you take two pictures, one with just the main light and one with just the fill light that is on the lens. From the fill light the closest high points are the lightest and then it goes to darker the further 'round it gets - like a flashlight on a tennis ball - it is a fill light that gives shape. It is these two pictures combined that you are getting when you use the two lights together this way.

-Rr
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 AM

Hi All. Too many good points here. I'm learning too and have only attempted to go pro in the last 6 months. I started doing film portraits with natural light and reflectors years ago which is wonderful but a completely different look than a digi and a flash unit.

Only recently, I added a cheap Jessops 90W flash (£90) and softbox (£60) and also a Jessops slave flash (£14) for bright highlights. I couldn't get any cheaper but I still use them today with the old Elinchrom 400W head also.

I have a few images up on <a href="http://www.andybird.net"> my portfolio site, www.andybird.net </a> and you'll be able to tell which are natural with reflectors and which are indoors and outdoors flash. There are exaples of all 4 types of lighting up at the moment.

Jessops, if you can actually get served within an hour, have some great starting things. I suggest you get one head and softbox to start with and then earn enough doing portraits to get a couple of really good pro flash units like the Dynalites… which i cant afford yet.

Oh and…be aware that second hand/ old flash heads can really screw up the circuitry in digital cameras!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2007, 10:44 AM

Thanks roger,

Yeah, it's starting to come together in my mind. Thanks for the kind words, I will try your experiments to apply some theory to the results.
I think I'm still going to get a flash setup though, simply to give me more options but thanks for showing me I don't 'need' one (or two, or three!)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography