RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Poll -- How many images shall we permit in the monthly Assignment competition?

View Poll Results: How Many images may one member submit for competition?
Only one image per member each month -- may change their entry before deadline 11 73.33%
No limit on number of images each member may submit 0 0%
Only two images per member each month -- may change their entries before deadline 2 13.33%
Up to 4 images per member each month -- may change their entries before deadline 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 PM

Poll -- How many images shall we permit in the monthly Assignment competition?

We haven't ever stated a specific limit to the number of images that a member may submit in the competitive monthly assignments -- what do you want? Whatever we decide, we will start the limit/no limit policy with the May assignment, NOT the current month's assignment.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 04-15-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2007, 10:17 PM

Re: Poll -- How many images shall we permit in the monthly Assignment competition?

OK, since I'm the catalyst for this thread, I ought to step up to the plate and say that my entries for the April 2007 contest weren't really entries. I did not mean to submit them for the contest but did not make myself clear when I posted the blurb. I had a terrible time choosing between the three pictures and therefore decided to post all three just so ya'll could have a look-see. I should have put them in another thread and will do so in the future.

I apologize for any misunderstandings and/or hurt feelings.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 AM

Re: Poll -- How many images shall we permit in the monthly Assignment competition?

I think up to 4 would be good. Let's face it, in a real assignment you would submit more than one image. I think it would open up the assignments to allow people to offer up more than one concept/interpretation on an assignment theme.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2007, 04:17 AM

Only problem I can see with allowing more than one image is the voting gets more complex and there's therefore more work for CJ collating the results.

If you allow say a max of 4, people are going to think they need to submit 4 or be disadvantaged, they may not have 4 images they're satisfied with and therefore they may not post at all.

My personal opinion is to keep it simple and only allow 1 image per contestant. If this proves to be restrictive then open it up at some later date, but get the contest well established first.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2007, 05:57 AM

Good point Gary, I guess keeping it simple for now is the way to go for now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty View Post
OK, since I'm the catalyst for this thread, I ought to step up to the plate and say that my entries for the April 2007 contest weren't really entries. I did not mean to submit them for the contest but did not make myself clear when I posted the blurb.... I should have put them in another thread and will do so in the future.

I apologize for any misunderstandings and/or hurt feelings. Janet
Janet -- you ARE the catalyst, and being a catalyst is a GOOD THING! No apologies needed as far as I can see, and I told you that I have no problem with you entering one or all of your submissions since I had NOT made the number of entries specific or clear previously. So, Janet -- YOU have another assignment -- pick which one or which ones you are OFFICIALLY submitting and tell us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishoggy View Post
I think up to 4 would be good. Let's face it, in a real assignment you would submit more than one image. I think it would open up the assignments to allow people to offer up more than one concept/interpretation on an assignment theme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson View Post
Only problem I can see with allowing more than one image is the voting gets more complex and there's therefore more work for CJ collating the results.

If you allow say a max of 4, people are going to think they need to submit 4 or be disadvantaged, they may not have 4 images they're satisfied with and therefore they may not post at all.

My personal opinion is to keep it simple and only allow 1 image per contestant. If this proves to be restrictive then open it up at some later date, but get the contest well established first.

Good thoughts from both of you! Figuring out the winner might get more complicated with multiple entries, but if the math gets too hard, I'd just ask for help! The part about some members feeling the need to submit all 4 or not submitting at all is probably true (human nature), but so far we don't have enough interest in submitting even one.

BTW - have you tried the new "Multi-quote" feature (second to end on the right-hand side below the last post) -- it's SO much easier than copy/paste when you want to respond to more than one person's ideas on a subject.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2007, 01:44 PM

Looks like the folks who are interested in the subject are voting for a limit of one photo per competition. I just voted for the limit of one because we can always post other photos we're proud of in one of our other threads ("Show your Stuff" and "What I shot/processed Today"). We can also set up additional competition threads for shorter/longer time periods and different assignment subjects, so there's no limit for photo enthusiasts to share their favorite works.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2007, 04:07 PM

I vote for one submission changable until the end. If it's to be a competition you only get one shot. Run your best race. I also understand how compiling the votes could be a real goat roping when folks have to decide or rember to vote for a different version of someone's post.

We have plenty of oportunity to make multiple submissions in other areas of the forum.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography