RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Poll: changes to Monthly Photo Competition

View Poll Results: What Change do you recommend?
Continue the thread as is - numbers will increase in time. 9 69.23%
Skip the competition thread - we'll post photos in other threads. 0 0%
Continue the thread, but extend the deadline - give us two months to take the photo. 0 0%
Continue the thread, but let us use photos we've already taken - don't have time for new photos. 7 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2007, 06:38 PM

Poll: changes to Monthly Photo Competition

Well, the number of participants has gone down each month, and now the number is so low that they couldn't even vote for 3rd place without voting for themselves.

The only reason for starting the monthly thread was to get us to pick up our cameras and take new photos -- but sometimes folks have too many other things going on to think about photography. So, what would help us either squeeze a little time out of our busy schedules to make new photos, or would fit our schedules into our photography?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 08:23 PM

Re: Poll: changes to Monthly Photo Competition

My $.02 worth is a combination of one and the last.

There are times when, even though I take pictures, I don't have time to process them. And too, sometimes I have just the picture in the file but can't submit it because it would be considered too old. Therefore, "old" pictures would help me out a lot.

If the time limit is increased to two months, people would probably get busy and tend to put a thread like this one on the back burner and forget about it; like I often do with the contest thread--I'll get around to it later. Then later ends up being too late.

The last one would be my vote except for the, "I don't have time to take pictures" part.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2007, 08:33 PM

Sorry I was gone again folks, it's been a little rough here.

My 2 cents if I may. When I am at full steam I pretty much shoot every day for one job or another and then feature stuff between commercial assignments. I know that this is a unique situation and it's just not possible for everyone to do that. What I would ask is that you do your best to shoot new and keep your eye fresh as much as possible but I have no problem with those who want or need to submit older work maybe with a new tweak or new twist. Hope all is well with everyone.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 08:11 AM

Yep, I voted first and last. I've been very busy over the last few weeks with the IT side of my business dealings, so haven't had much (if any) spare time to do anything. Thankfully the job I am on at the moment will be finished in 2 days, and I will have time to sleep and have fun with my camera. I think old photos, say 3-6 months would be fine IMHO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 12:09 PM

I'm sure glad I'm not moving home at the moment. I've got 26 PC's running in my home from a server, and I'm getting an ear full off my wife because it's taking over the house. Thank god they will be all installed back in the school by Friday. Moving home is suppose to be the most stressful thing you can do, so good luck with your move.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 02:32 PM

I voted for 1.

I like the idea of only using fresh taken pics, as it encourages people to get out and shoot.

Unfortunately this month it seems everyone was otherwise occupied (I was on holiday) so entries hit an all time low.

I feel some of the topics have been a bit too "loose", and that people are possibly unsure of what to enter. I feel a more tightly defined topic would get more entries.

This may be just personal, but I'm happier when I have a specific brief to work to rather than some nebulous concept.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography