RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Should we change who can vote?

View Poll Results: Who do you think should be allowed to vote in the Photo Competition thread?
Members who submit an entry that month only 0 0%
Members who didn't submit an entry this time, but have submitted before 0 0%
Members of RetouchPro -- anyone who wants to vote 15 100.00%
No one -- I just want to share my photos, not have them voted on 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2007, 03:14 PM

Should we change who can vote?

I'm still wondering if there are things we can do differently that would bring more folks photos into the monthly competition thread. Early voting seems to see no need to change the overall concept, other than allowing someone to enter a recently processed image that was shot before the set time period.

The low numbers of folks entering the competition thread doesn't surprise me because this is a retouching forum, and there's only a certain percentage of us who are also interested in photography, and not everyone is going to feel like exhibiting something for critique. Even the "Show off your old photos" and related threads can be scary for someone who hasn't shown their photos to strangers before, but they don't have to worry about whether or not they get a vote or not.

I've noticed that there are a lot of "views" for the competition threads, and I'm guessing that a lot of folks who haven't entered the competition are looking at the photos -- so I wondered what would happen if we let anyone VOTE. Would more members be interested in submitting entries if there were more people voting on the entries? Would having more people vote scare off potential entrants? Would members who don't enter their work vote differently than members who have submitted their work?

I don't have any foregone conclusions on this subject -- I'm just wondering.
What do YOU think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 03:50 PM

Re: Should we change who can vote?

I think it would generate more interest in the forum for all members to vote as they would then be looking at the entrants, would it be more off putting ? that would depend on the amount of critism and how one can take It, a solution might be only entrants critise ? Just a few thoughts and i am one who looks and doesnt enter (lack of creative thinking mainly but will have a try one day when inspiration hits, as i know that by taking part will help me improve my skills even with my little point and shoot ! ! ! ! ! !)

Palms

Last edited by palms; 05-30-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 05:16 PM

Having skin like Rhino Hide (like most Yorkshiremen), I'm not unduly worried by letting everyone express their opinions (where I live most people tell you all about your shortcomings whether you've asked them to or not), so my vote is for all members to be eligible.

Why anyone should be concerned about the opinions of people they've never actually met is beyond me. If comments are purely negative you don't have to heed them, however if they're constructive and tell you something you can learn from then you're up on the game.

My photos could almost always be improved upon, so getting feedback from as wide an audience as possible, is as far as I can see a bonus.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 06:12 PM

What Gary said.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 08:12 PM

MysticalOne -- I changed your vote, so if you were NOT serious about changing it, let me know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Patron

Here is another thought. Why doesn't Doug communicate with Willis at Photosig.com. Photosig is dedicated to showing photos and having them critiqued. Have Photosig display a link on its home page pointing all those photographers who would like to have some retouching advice to RP (and many need help). Then have RP can display a link pointing all those who would like their work displayed and critiqued to photosig. Linking the two might boost the participation of both. From what I see on both sites, most people are interested in both photography and retouching.
Regards, Murray
P.S. I voted to let any member vote as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 12:36 PM

I joined RetouchPro in 2001. I am a member of two or three photography sites. What I enjoy about the Photography Forum being added here is that I can share photos with other members that I have "worked with" for years here at RetouchPro, and can see their original photos also. I enjoy greatly working on others' photos in Photo Art threads and Retouching threads, but sometimes I just want to show a photograph without having someone think only about how they can change it into a painting, or how they can improve the skin texture, etc.

Personally, I like just having the RetouchPro gang around, and when some of them have a photo that they want to share without having it manipulated, it's nice to have a Forum area reserved for that. Perhaps a joining with another website would have benefits, but I'm feeling fine just sitting here with people I've already gotten to know, and talking photography for a while before I go visit the other forums and work on a retouch or try to create a painterly version of Gary's most recent vacation image.

Murray, send a PM to Doug if you want to promote your idea. I'm just going to enjoy sitting here in the shallow end of this pond.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography