RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

August 2007 Photo Assignment -- Discussion Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:43 AM

Re: August 2007 Photo Assignment -- Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical One View Post
Winter is nice, with plenty of snow across the high country, but very chilly.

All Gary would want to know is -- How's the skiing?

According to an internet page, here's an answer to that question -

Tasmania's major downhill ski resort is at Ben Lomond National Park some 60 kilometres southeast of Launceston. It is an hour's drive along the North Esk River Valley and is more than 1300 metres above sea level.

The Ben Lomond ski resort offers a full range of facilities for downhill skiing, snowboarding, and cross-country skiing.

The snow season is from the middle of July to the end of September.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 AM

Well researched Cj. Not the biggest ski resport region in the world, but very pretty, and currently about a 49cm coverage LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical One View Post
Well researched Cj. Not the biggest ski resport region in the world, but very pretty, and currently about a 49cm coverage LOL
Not big enough, not enough snow, too far to travel.

Though I do remember the Northern coastline of the island was very beautiful. Saw it only from the sea, as we "looped round" Tasmania whilst heading from Hobart for Melbourne (I was an Officer working on a BP Tanker at the time).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2007, 04:22 AM

Unhappy Re: August 2007 Photo Assignment -- Discussion Thread

Poor planning, this.

Got up at 4am yesterday to drive to a location I've had in mind for sunrise shots. Sunrise time was 5.35 and I got there at 5.36

Despite this, not a complete waste of my morning since the location included a hillside full of poppies. A quick check in Lightroom suggests that there were a few usable shots on the card so that's encouraging.

I'm most looking forward to playing with a 10 shot-wide panoramic, the shots for which were also bracketed. These 30 images will hopefully come together to create an HDR panorama.

A picnic breakfast on the riverbank of the Thames made it a worthwhile morning too

I'm gonna have to think again about the sunrise shot. I really don't want to have to dip into archives for this theme. It turns out that yesterdays location wouldn't have been that spectacular during sunrise anyway.

Pete
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson View Post
Not big enough, not enough snow, too far to travel.

Though I do remember the Northern coastline of the island was very beautiful. Saw it only from the sea, as we "looped round" Tasmania whilst heading from Hobart for Melbourne (I was an Officer working on a BP Tanker at the time).
If you thought the northern coastline was nice... you really should see the rest. My partner and I think the northern coastline is the most boring and least interesting section of the island. LOL

Poor Swamp Donkey, but at least it was not a complete loss
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2007, 11:20 PM

You definitely missed the best part of Tassie, the west coast. It is the most rugged and most beautiful of Tasmania I think.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 AM

Well if I ever get down that way again (which isn't too likely) I'll definitely try to give the West coast a visit.

Trouble with working on a ship is you didn't get much time for sightseeing. You're generally in and out of port within 24 hours, so there's a whole mass of places I'd like to go back to and look around at leisure.

Sorry to say though, if I was coming that far south of the equator again, New Zealand would be top of my list. I had some great times there and would really love to revisit some of the places I got a brief glimpse of in my youth.

That's not a slur on the attractions of Tasmania, just that I spent a bit more time round NZ and got to see a bit more of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2007, 06:26 AM

Would still have been a most interesting job, even if the port calls were short.

Can understand your desire to visit NZ, Tassie has never been well marketed and remains a bit of a hidden jewel.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Would still have been a most interesting job, even if the port calls were short.
Don't you believe it. A great deal of time at sea is spent trying to find things to do to combat boredom. If you're not working there's little else to do.

The only fun bits were the runs ashore, unfortunately as far as owners are concerned a ship in port is just losing money, so they always try and make time in port as short as possible. Modern ships spend even less time in port than we used to do (though that's not the impression they like to give when they're recruiting). So I'm glad I served when I did, and glad I got out when I did.

Having said that, my horizons were considerably widened by the experience of going to sea, and I did get to see a whole lot of places (however briefly) that I wouldn't have otherwise.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2007, 09:58 PM

Very nice colours Nikolas, nice pic. :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography