RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

A Day with Pui...

Old 07-31-2007, 03:52 PM

Re: A Day with Naughty Pui...

I would agree with LonK -- you ARE a photographer, and Pui appears to be experienced as a model. Nice poses, and nice images. I saw your post in another thread wondering about a color cast, but from a quick overview, the colors look natural. I can see why Pui would insist on a full set of pictures -- she knew they would be good and she would have great shots of herself to add to her portfolio and show family/friends!

I see from your Photobucket pages, that you have been doing these shots quite well for a few years. I would hope that you're making some money off your hobby.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 07-31-2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added after viewing Photobucket
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2007, 05:30 PM

Re: A Day with Pui...

curious...what camera/lens did you use?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty View Post
It looks as if both of you had a great time. She is open and relaxed, which often makes all the difference. Keep up the good work and enjoy your camera with friends.

Janet
Thanks Janet! It's sure encouraging reading your post! I will continue to try on shoots but as my job is rather busy, I don't get much chances. But will continue to try. Do feel free to comment more. I think I am lack of something but just cannot pinpoint it... Hmm...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael View Post
It's a nice collection of poses. As Janet noted, it looks like she is relaxed in front of the camera.

Many of the shots look a bit overexposed to me, so that might be something to check.
Thanks Danny! These are just simple poses. I am a total nut when it comes to posing the model. Previously I used to depend on the model a lot and other photographers instructing on the poses. I just try to remember how they pose the model and repeat what they did. Not original I think?

As to the over-exposure, thanks for the observation. I noticed that too. Say, in general, is over-exposure really a no-no for portraits? Sometimes, I find that over-expose a little bit from pumping contrast between highlights and shadows does bring in some punch into the image. But that is just my opinion. Please disregard it if it offended you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonK View Post
Yes, you are!
Lonnie and CJ, you know? I never dare to admit I am. I had some very bad experiences elsewhere regarding this. I tried to give my opinions on some threads. Maybe perhaps I touched on some sensitive spots and was totally (and brutally) flamed by many other members! Some posts were so bad that super abusive words were used to put you down. So from then, I never want to admit I am a photographer and my words are just something that people can ignore. That will save me a lot of trouble.

Yeah, that's right. I don't comment much now. Don't wanna start any flame war.

And CJ, thanks for visiting my humble port folio... Kind of embarrassed showing people those pictures... Still not kind of good yet I think. I took up photography in March 2005, that's when I bought my first DSLR. Ever since I have been trying and trying and learning things all by myself and by observing how people execute their work. Making money from my hobby? I really think I am not good enough for that yet. But thanks for the encouragement! I like that!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2007, 11:36 PM

Re: A Day with Pui...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
curious...what camera/lens did you use?

Hi. Here is my setup:
  1. Nikon D80 with battery grip
  2. Nikon SB600 Flash
  3. Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8
  4. Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8
  5. Lightsphere II