RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Digital camera - what kind do you have?

Old 08-21-2007, 11:44 AM

Re: Digital camera - what kind do you have?

danny, thank you and thanks for moving this post to here.

well, i did a little research on dpreview and cnet since posting this. i went back and forth between those two sites, using cnet's review ratings and dpreviews in depth analysis of cameras. what i came up with for a top pick, just based on price and ratings was the nikon D80. solid camera, high rating, decent price.

so, ok, then i went with CJ's question, what do i want it for? and i realized that what i really wanted first was a run-around, utility camera, something i could carry with me at all times and just shoot and edit as necessary.

that changed the entire ballpark. i've also been out of photography for a long while, so investing in a higher end camera seemed a bit of a jump, like trying to fly before learning to crawl. i did buy one of the first digital cameras ever made, but the thing, other than having novelty value, was almost worthless. so, i thought it best to get back into photography the same way i did when i was a kid, start low and work up. this just made much more sense to me for my current needs and abilities.

so, if you look in the hardware forum, you'll see i was in Staples the other day and bought a new harddrive. well, i also bought a new camera. i bought a Kodak Z880 easy share. it's 8 megapixels, 5x optical zoom, very compact (fits on my belt in a pouch) and can go anywhere with me. i also got the 2 gigabyte card for it.

this is a far cry from that first (almost worthless) digital camera i bought! this new one is packed with stuff and i've been pouring over the manual and taking pictures again. cool! and for $200 (less than i paid for that first one), i've got a much higher res, much faster, built in flash, usb2 transfer, decent sized viewfinder, and a ton of modes and settings i'm still trying to figure out.

ok, so i'm not going to rock the photographic world quite yet, but this thing is quite enough for now. i've already been out taking pics (which i havent done in years) and getting some very nice results. it only takes jpegs (no raws) but the resolution is really quite amazing for such a small package and shld suit me fine for a while.

attached is a pic of an old tobacco barn on our property. it's hardly ever used any more but is quite photogenic. and even with my 200k image limit here on RetouchPRO, you can see a pretty good resolution. the sky was overcast today so, no details in the sky to speak of and i'm still learning all the settings and modes, so bear with me still, i'm quite pleased with this little gem of a camera.

i really wanted 10 megapixel and 10x optical, but i also wanted compact and the 5x optical was the best i could find in a true shirt pocket compact. all of the 10x opticals were quite a bit larger and not 'shirt pocket'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tobacco-barn-1-c-1.jpg (192.7 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2007, 12:00 PM

and CJ, to answer your other question about what cameras have i used before, i've used everything for the very low end, viewfinder analogs to polaroid instants to my 35mm, Canon F1, which i bought back in the early 70's or so. the Canon was quite an investment. it was one of Canon's first, truly integrated systems and was a VERY good 35mm. i bought a lot of lenses, filters and other accessories for it and still have most of it today. but, i just dont hardly use it any more. it's a lot of stuff to carry around, film to process, film to buy and so on and so forth and ever since digitals came out, i knew that was the way i was going to go. i've shot all sorts of venues, sports, portrait, scenery both close up and distant and an assortment of others. i had a very nice 400mm lens for longshots and a number of macros and entension tubes for very close up photography and a very nice vivitar zoom for inbetweens.

most of my work was back in the 70's and early 80's and most of it is rotting away waiting for me to scan and clean it up. i've posted a couple on RP which i did scan and clean, though i couldnt tell you where they are now.

and, when i was in vietnam in the early 70's, i carried a miniature camera in the field. that thing was about 2 inches by 3 inches or so and shot on very tiny film. i've got several albums full of those images, also waiting to be scanned and cleaned up. those really need some work having been sitting in albums for years and fading away.

i was never a Pro. i never owned or shot in 4x4 or anything better than the Canon and i never did any formal studio work. but i've always had an interest and delight in taking pictures. thus, this re-entry with this little compact digital has me almost as excited as when i was a kid with dreams of taking 'that great shot'
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Craig - congratulations on your new digital camera! Isn't it just so much FUN to shove a card in and shoot away -- no keeping film in the refrigerator, worrying about the expiration date, you can change the film speed without changing rolls of film, you can take some shots and learn by looking at them that you didn't get it right and just delete them, change your settings and make the next shots better! I still just get excited thinking about how cool digital is!!!

I like the detail your camera picked up -- in the cabin siding and the greenery; this camera will be a lot of fun!

P.S. -- and NO scanning! It's so easy to use a card reader (or connect to the camera) and get to see the photos right away -- without having to drive down to the store to wait for your prints.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2007, 03:44 PM

Thing about a camera is it's only any good if it's with you.

Good thing about point and shoot compacts is they don't take up much space and they don't weigh much, so it's more likely you'll carry them with you.

I've got a Canon Ixus, and the determining factor was it had to fit in my ski jacket pocket, be quick to use, and be built like a brick (for the odd occasion when I have a spill).

It's still the only camera I ever seem to carry, I've got others, but they're just too bulky to carry around all the time.

Have fun with yours Craig .............. oh, and get that shed fixed, it's a disgrace leaving it with all those holes in it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM

I think you cannot go to far wrong with either nikon or canon.I have both nikon for film and canon for digital.The nikon fm2 cant be beat for film its an overall great little camera as far as lenses go nikon has great lenses,for digital when i decided to buy I personally thought after everything I read Canon was the better of the 2 so I bought a REBEL xt

just my opinion zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2007, 09:39 PM

I am not an avid photographer but I do expect a digital camera to have some decent longevity. I bought a Kodak and the sucker lasted 13 months and just died. I contacted Kodak but since it was longer than 1 year I was out of luck. That was my first Kodak and you can rest assured that it will be my last one. Prior to this bomb I had an HP and a Fuji. I went back to the Fuji and am happy that I made the choice. I bought a Fuji S6500 and it does everything that I would expect a moderately priced digital to do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2007, 10:26 PM

CJ, yup, no hassles. got the thing on my belt and it's just part of me now. the first digital i had was back in the days of usb 1.1 and it didnt use usb. i think it plugged into the serial or parallel port on the back of the computer. this is easy, plug in the usb cord, plug it into the computer, wait for the computer to see it, call up the software, transfer, done.

and dont even get me started on film and the hassles with that. almost invariably when walking around with that, i'd have color film in the camera and see something i wanted to shoot in B&W. or, i'd have high speed film in and see something where i wanted a lower ASA (yeah, it was still ASA back then, not ISO). so, there was always a question of, do i load it with a 24 print roll or 36, cause i was always wanting to change it. do i use up the roll just so i can put the other film in and waste the roll or lose the shot.

digital rocks

and gary, that's not 'disgrace'; that's 'character'
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post

and dont even get me started on film and the hassles with that. almost invariably when walking around with that, i'd have color film in the camera and see something i wanted to shoot in B&W. or, i'd have high speed film in and see something where i wanted a lower ASA (yeah, it was still ASA back then, not ISO). so, there was always a question of, do i load it with a 24 print roll or 36, cause i was always wanting to change it. do i use up the roll just so i can put the other film in and waste the roll or lose the shot.

digital rocks

Amen to that. And...did I say AMEN to that?

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
and gary, that's not 'disgrace'; that's 'character'
That just sounds like an excuse not to get the tool belt out to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2007, 09:11 PM

gary,

absolutely!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography