Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Voting Thread - August Competition

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Voting Thread - August Competition

Voting -- Entries in August 2007 Photo Assignment: "Sunrise"

You may view the entries in the Competition thread or all together here:

Voting is open to all RetouchPro members.

Post your choices (in this thread) for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd by listing the member's name. If you want to explain your reasons, please do.

Vote for the 3 entries you like the best - you might consider how well a photo captures your attention, how well it deals with the subject, how well it fits with the chosen theme, how well the technical details are handled -- lighting, composition, sharpness, etc., -- you are the judge of what appeals to you and what is important to you in an image and the subject category.

Votes will be weighted to give greater weight to First Place votes than to Second and greater weight to Second than to Third place votes. When you place a vote for First Place, that entry will receive three (3) points; when you place a vote for Second, that entry will receive two (2) points, and a vote for Third Place will receive one (1) point.

1. Entry X (their name) - First Place
2. Entry A (their name) - Second Place
3. Entry C (their name) - Third Place

This voting thread is now open and will close Friday August 31st at midnight (EDT). The winner will be notified and will choose the subject for the September competition.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 08-29-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:06 AM
Re: Voting Thread - August Competition

I am adding my votes now so that i dont leave it to late again ! ! ! !

1. Swamp donkey

2. FPellerin

3. Janet Petty

Reasons being

Swamp donkey because we all think of beautiful country sunsets, but this shows that city life has its beauty as well ( even the millenium dome ! ! )

FPellerin it has to be the colours

Janet well i placed her third for honesty, participation, and not getting up at some ungodly hour to take photo's ! ! ! ! ! !

Old 08-30-2007, 04:17 AM

There were things I liked about each of the entries but it's the colors that I love most about a beautiful sunrise. My votes...

1. FPellerin
2. JanetPetty
3. Nikolas

Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 AM

My votes as follows:-

1st FPellerin Thought this had the best balance of colour, lighting and beautiful scenery. A reflection always helps.

2nd Swamp Donkey No surprise that this one was over water as well. Like Palms I thought it brought a cityscape to life (pity it's London which is the place I hate most in all the world).

3rd Janet Petty Loved the cloud formations in this one, and the way they caught the light.

Enjoyed everyone else's entries immensely, but for varying reasons they didn't make the top 3.

Scuba Margie, you were unfortunate in that there was just a little haze, that diffused the light and so it didn't have the impact it could have had. On a clear day I think the shot would have been great.

MysticalOne Too grainy I'm afraid, also it looks as if it's been "brightened up" in Photoshop. I suspect the original is not so well lit.

Nikolas Lovely shot, but looks false somehow, the colours look as if they've been added later. I don't know whereabouts in the world you are, and perhaps sunrises really are as colourful where you are, but I've no experience of ever seeing one like that.

CamillaK Beautiful picture, you just lost out to personal preference in the end, sorry.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:26 AM

A very difficult choice, though I elimated two from my options due to them being sunsets, wheras the theme was specifically "sunrise", sorry to both nikolas & janetPetty.

1st - CamillaK - Love the shadowy figure outlined by the rising sun
2nd - ScubaMargie - ubte, and I like subtle things that make you think before deciding
3rd - SwampDonkey - Even with th urban setting, this is beautiful
Old 08-30-2007, 06:43 AM

FPellerin get my vote for first. Even though the picture is very nearly balanced half and half, it nevertheless grabs the eye and keeps it moving through the whole experience. Well done.

Nickolas gets the vote for a very close second. There could be just a tad more definition in the sky.

Third is a toss up between SwampDonkey and Camilla. I literally couldn't make up my mind.

A friend of mine wanted me to post this sunrise picture. Since he is not a member here, I waited until after the contest. For your viewing pleasure....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg washington-trip-327.jpg (92.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-30-2007, 06:48 PM

They are all good shots, it was a hard choice.

1. CamillaK
2. FPellerin
3. Mystical One
Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 PM

Very nice shots by all!!! Here are my votes:

1. SwampDonkey
2. ScubaMargie
3. CamillaK
Old 08-31-2007, 02:03 AM

Each entry made me think "I wish I'd done that!" Each one has strong elements.

My personal preferences are:

1 - Nikolas -- vibrant color with sharp detail in the foreground plus good composition caught and held my eye.

2 - Mystical One -- vibrant colors with rock formations that look surreal to me and captured my attention.

3 - fpellerin -- vibrant colors - sky, clouds and water.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:42 AM
Thumbs up Re: Voting Thread - August Competition

1. SwampDonkey

Just kidding!!

1. CamillaK - the inclusion of another object made the difference for me, as well as the lovely composition and colours.
2. ScubaMargie - I love the contrast
3. FPellerin - really inspires you to get up early in the morning and see scenes like this for yourself.

Well done all. A great selection of images.

Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography