RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Discussion Thread for October Competition -- "Scenes in a Public Park"

Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 AM

Discussion Thread for October Competition -- "Scenes in a Public Park"

Let's give entrants some feedback without worrying about who we're going to actually vote for at the end of the month!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Re: Discussion Thread for October Competition -- "

Deadline for submitting your image: Saturday October 27th, 2007 at 12 pm EDT.

You've still got time to grab your camera and get out to a park tomorrow and submit your entry!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2007, 12:19 AM

No discussion yet, so I'll start it off:

Liz (ejk) - The gentleman is framed by the park benches and the green grass which helps to emphasize him as the main subject. The look is candid although he might be aware of your presence or even be posing - but it looks like he's just doing what he went to the park to do - sit, relax, ponder, look around. The hat adds to the ambiance, I think.

Mystical One - I like using an opening in an object as a frame. I'm not sure what the main subject is - the frame itself, the colors, the shapes, or all together with the mountain in the background, but it gets my attention due to the framing.

Gary - a lovely look at a lovely spot - greens and spots of red, interesting detail in the bridge, and reflections in the stream. The two tall trees on either side might be framing the middle section - not sure. It would be a nice spot to visit.

Scuba Margie - interesting, rather abstracted, shape of playground equipment (or whatever) takes the main spot with a nice background of clouds with silver linings.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2007, 03:12 AM

What I was expecting (hoping) to see were lots of activity/people shots, I'm hopeless at that sort of photography so always look forward to seeing it from others.

CJ's dog shot was just the kind of action shot I'd hoped for.

Shame there were so few entries, I'd hoped that I'd set a topic that all could have participated in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson View Post
...Shame there were so few entries, I'd hoped that I'd set a topic that all could have participated in.
You DID choose a topic that most/all could participate in, Gary.

The lack of participation is for other reasons -- members are busy retouching other people's photos, creating photo artworks, buying candy and making costumes for Halloween, watching the "World" Series, drinking beer, gardening, cleaning out closets, washing the goldfish, buffing their nails... ANYTHING they can do other than enter their photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson View Post
What I was expecting (hoping) to see were lots of activity/people shots, I'm hopeless at that sort of photography so always look forward to seeing it from others.

CJ's dog shot was just the kind of action shot I'd hoped for.

Shame there were so few entries, I'd hoped that I'd set a topic that all could have participated in.

You did choose a great topic. I've just been so involved in other things, I haven't taken the camera out until day before yesterday. I got the "park" shot and am processing it this morning. Of course, my "park" is the fall leaves at the local cemetery; but most everyone in town ends up there to view the spectacular show at this time of year.

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maplewood.jpg (130.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Maplewood-closer.jpg (138.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Janet Petty; 10-27-2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: posted pictures for viewing
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography