RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Buying Canon XTI from Amazon or Ritz?

Old 10-06-2007, 01:42 AM

Buying Canon XTI from Amazon or Ritz?

I am trying to figure out if I should buy the camera from Amazon where it is a bit cheaper and I can get a 4 year warranty or if I should buy it from Ritz which has no taxes and free shipping (just one year warranty though; and more expensive). Also curious if the warranty is even any good from Amazon as there seems to be mixed feedback as to what it covers. It does say, normal wear and tear. Any thoughts? Experience with either on camera purchase?

Amazon is so irritating because you cannot contact them unless you have an order number!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 02:11 AM
Janitor

Re: Buying Canon XTI from Amazon or Ritz?

Amazon has no taxes or shipping (at least I've never paid for either there). It's not a warranty, it's a service plan, so don't bother.

B&H has a $100 rebate currently on this model. If you don't mind silver they have it for $680 (not counting rebate, and with a couple of freebies). Black seems to cost a lot more. I'd buy from them if it really came out cheaper, Amazon otherwise.

Doublecheck that all specs are the same, there can be tiny variations that make a price difference (the silver is an example, but there are others).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 02:44 AM

i have a rebel xt i bought from ritz. Got the 2 year warranty. its the best you can get cuz it covers most damage you cause (except fire and theft). I droped my camera down a canyon cliff. hiked down picked up the parts and brought into a local store. they took the camera and in about 2 weeks i had a new camera. Who cares about a little shipping and tax costs when you get free cleanings, and a warranty that covers most accidents. If you plan to hike or use your camera alot out of the studio, ritz would be my first choice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 07:32 AM

I agree with Doug. Buy the camera from B&H. The XTi is currently selling for a pretty decent price. If you buy the body only, the price goes down even more. My suggestion, no matter which company you choose, is to forget the kit lens that comes with the camera and invest in a lens of better quality. The difference in your picture quality will be worth the extra investment.

The $100.00 rebate is a double-edged sword. It is only good IF you purchase the Canon Pixma Pro Printer 9000 as well. The rebate runs through November 2007.

Janet

Last edited by Janet Petty; 10-06-2007 at 07:40 AM. Reason: checked on validity of rebate
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 02:10 PM

I have heard that quite a bit about the kit lens that it isnt very good. What would you recommend? (While still staying in a reasonable price range; I was hoping to keep it around 1000 with getting a telephoto as well; prob dreaming here.)

@Doug: can you enlighten me on the diff between a service plan and a warranty as the service plan says if it breaks, they will fix it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therookie View Post
I have heard that quite a bit about the kit lens that it isnt very good. What would you recommend? (While still staying in a reasonable price range; I was hoping to keep it around 1000 with getting a telephoto as well; prob dreaming here.)

Thanks!
A good beginning lens (one that I have used as a walkaround lens) is the 17-85 mm. There is some very slight barrel distortion at 17mm, but not enough to worry about. I've taken some amazing macro shots with it. And I carried it throughout Israel when I didn't want to have anything high-end that might get stolen. Below are links to some pictures I took with the 17-85

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...066-peace.html

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...15-playin.html

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...9-old-man.html

Good luck in your search.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 07:32 PM

Is this the lense you are talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-17-85mm-.../dp/B0002Y5WXO

Nice pics by the way!

The same company is behind the service plan at Amazon and the warranty at Ritz

Last edited by therookie; 10-06-2007 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added note about same company
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 09:01 PM

I read a lot at the DPreview (digital camera) forums, and here is one thread that discusses service plans from Ritz. One suggestion you could look into is calling your insurance company (home owner's or renter's) and asking them about cost to provide "all risks" insurance in case of theft or breakage (Matt's falling down the canyon cliff). Make sure they know you're not running a photography business (unless you are, of course).

To buy warranty (service plan) or not

I've always been warned away from extended warranties and service plans, and usually don't buy them. I do worry about "what might happen", but IF you are a careful person, and IF you don't live in an especially theft-prone area, then the odds are in YOUR favor. If you read the forums at photo.net and DPreview, most folks are against the plans, but some have bought them and used them happily. It's like buying stocks/bonds/mutual funds -- do what lets you SLEEP at night. Some people can take big risks and sleep soundly, others toss and turn even when their money is in a bank savings account -- do what feels good. If you'd like to put that money towards buying another lens for the XTi instead of the service plan, think positive.

I haven't had to send any of my digital cameras in for repairs, and I haven't dropped them on the floor or down a canyon path. MOST electronics that have a defect will show it before the warranty period is over, but that's not a guarantee -- it's a statistical average.

B&H is used by pro photographers, and has been recommended for years. Beach Camera has good ratings at resellerratings.com and on DPreview, and I've purchased from them without complaint. They will usually offer the lowest price of any "known to be reputable" stores and you can use them to compare to the store you're shopping. Ritz is always on the high end of the price range.

Call your insurance company and see what they say -- might be worth your while.

Reviews from Amazon buyers

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 10-06-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 09:40 PM

I agree with CJ.

Of the professional photographers I know, one has used his extended insurance on his policy often. One has never used his and swears by great camera bag companies who back their products. Long story. The bag and all went over a cliff and into a river. No damage. Whew!!! Others have such a high deductibles that it is cheaper to fix the thing from pocket than go the insurance route. CJ is either lucky or blessed or both not to have done the drop thingy. Drops can and do happen.

Warranties will not cover drops or owner caused problems. Service plans do. Insurance is the cheaper route in my opinion.

And lastly, to answer your question about the lens. Yes, that is the 17-85 lens. Don't buy from Ritz. You can get is cheaper elsewhere. I promise. Amazon usually doesn't ship in a timely manner either. Avoid them unless you are really sure you want to go there.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2007, 01:23 AM

Thanks for all the info in the posts! I didnt even think about calling my insurance company. duh! Thanks for the idea. Beach camera looks like they may have some good deals but the website is not liking me at the moment... Any ideas where I can get that lens cheaper?

any good non canon lens' to get besides the 17-85 or the stock lens?

Last edited by therookie; 10-07-2007 at 01:26 AM. Reason: note about non cannon lenses;
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography