RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Help With Camera Metering

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-30-2007, 02:41 AM
sjlarue sjlarue is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10
Help With Camera Metering

I have a Nikon D70. Can someone please explain the different metering modes to me? What is listed is spot, center weighted average, and matrix.
also center weighted has a sub menu with 6,8,10 and 12mm. I really can't tell between them. The only thing that I've been able to find out through websites is that spot is what you want to use for objects that are back lit.
Thanks for any assistance.
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 10-30-2007, 04:12 AM
Doug Nelson's Avatar
Doug Nelson Doug Nelson is offline
Janitor
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 7,068
Blog Entries: 21
Re: Help With Metering

Spot measures just the light in the center, usually marked with a circle in your viewfinder. It's the best way to get manual readings perfect, but won't work at all for auto and snapshooting. The mm is the size of the spot it reads (in the viewfinder). Average measures the entire frame, and the weighted part means it gives more preference as you move to the aforementioned spot. It used to be the way to go before matrix. Matrix takes several discrete meterings (varies by manufacturer) and uses nifty formulas to calculate the best exposure.
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 10-30-2007, 10:40 AM
sjlarue sjlarue is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10
Re: Help With Metering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
Spot measures just the light in the center, usually marked with a circle in your viewfinder. It's the best way to get manual readings perfect, but won't work at all for auto and snapshooting.
By Auto, do you just mean auto "A" or are you including the program "P" function in that as well ? I guess what I'm asking is how manual is manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
Average measures the entire frame, and the weighted part means it gives more preference as you move to the aforementioned spot. It used to be the way to go before matrix.
With above question about auto in mind; if I were doing just straight auto mode pictures, I would want it on matrix and not even use center weighted? Is there ever a time when I would want it on center weighted?

Totaly unrelated here, I love your avatar. It is so true!
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Doug Nelson's Avatar
Doug Nelson Doug Nelson is offline
Janitor
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 7,068
Blog Entries: 21
Re: Help With Metering

Leave off spot for P.

I'd stick with matrix (although this can get complicated, my camera has like 12 different matrix modes).

To further complicate things, I use my spot metering with auto by using the exposure lock button (not sure if your camera has one). I know from experience where to put the spot, then I hold the lock button, recompose, and shoot. (this is for "arty" stuff, not for birthdays and holidays).

Your best bet is to experiment. It's digital, pixels are free, so find what works best for you.
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 AM
sjlarue sjlarue is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10
Re: Help With Metering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
Leave off spot for P.

I'd stick with matrix (although this can get complicated, my camera has like 12 different matrix modes).

To further complicate things, I use my spot metering with auto by using the exposure lock button (not sure if your camera has one). I know from experience where to put the spot, then I hold the lock button, recompose, and shoot. (this is for "arty" stuff, not for birthdays and holidays).

Your best bet is to experiment. It's digital, pixels are free, so find what works best for you.
Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camera speed inquiry pepperphoto Hardware 9 05-29-2006 08:28 AM
Digital Camera and scanner - help to pick Marthig Hardware 4 01-21-2006 05:39 PM
Durable Digital Camera? G. Couch Hardware 15 02-04-2004 07:46 AM
Cheap, Cool Little Camera KenB Hardware 3 09-13-2003 07:01 PM
Tutorial: POV-Ray (and great discussion) CJ Swartz Photo-Based Art 12 11-12-2002 01:56 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved