RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

i want to learn photograph

Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 AM

Question i want to learn photograph

hi,guys.
i don't know if here is the right place to ask.
I love photograph,i dream to be a photographer in the future.but i'd never took any professional photo education.i wanna learn the professional photograph skill,do you have any useful books or informations to advise?or some online courses?
3ks a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2007, 09:24 AM

Re: i want to learn photograph

hi,
we got some photographers that are really good.... there comments definitely more worthy than mine.... they should be able to help you a lot when they post...

but a couple of sites i have found usefull and informative.......
1.http://www.lumitouch.com/benstudiotutorial/index.html there 35 rules I think is very good.... there a lot of rules and this one is all in one place.. smiling....

2. http://www.radiantvista.com/ I like thier video "daily critques" where the analyze photography shots .... also there "podcast" video's they address specific issues ...... very inofrmative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfromlugu View Post
hi,guys.
i don't know if here is the right place to ask.
I love photograph,i dream to be a photographer in the future.but i'd never took any professional photo education.i wanna learn the professional photograph skill,do you have any useful books or informations to advise?or some online courses?
3ks a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2007, 10:31 PM

Peace iamfromlugu,

I feel the best way to learn is to find a pro photographer and see if they need any assistants. Let em know you've never done it before and if they're cool with that they'll show you the ropes. Some times they may have some free studio time and need some people to help out, getting some time in a studio is always educational. As an assistant you probably aren't going to be doing the shooting but you will more than likely help with setting up lights grabbing equipment from the equipment room, which will help you with getting to know the equipment hands on.

Quick tips
Tip one...In the studio be fast but don't be careless.. Clients book studio time, rent equipment, hire models so you don't have unlimited time to get the job done! Be quick and be careful (equipment isnt cheap!)

Tip two.. Learn to love the C-Stand!

-Jay
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 07:57 AM

Hi, iamfromlugu!

(I moved your question thread over here to the Photography forum so that you could get more replies from people already interested in photography.)

What do you want to learn -- do you have some specific ideas of what type of photographic work you would like to do someday? Jay's recommendation is excellent -- there's no better way to learn than by apprenticeship with a pro.

Tell us some more about what you want to learn about, and I'm sure we'll have folks with other good ideas to help. Tell us more about what you already do with photography, or whether you have a camera yet, etc., so we know where to start.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 11:57 AM

Hello iamfromlugu!

I agree with Jay as well, but I also think, more importantly, you need to shoot. Get a camera, and take pictures! It's that simple. There is a saying that goes "You are your own worst critic" and I think in photography that is more then true. You may be never satisfied with your work, and you may strive to do better. I tell my students all the time that passion for your work indisputably outweighs skill in the long run; because I can teach the basic skills, but only you can have the passion. A professional photographer will only be able to teach you the basics, and also show you THEIR style. If you want to be a pro, I think you should develop your own style. Already I'd say you are on the right track, and would only advise you to keep to your passion. I hope this has helped!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 12:02 PM

Jay, I just noticed your comment about the c-stand after reading your post again! I gotta say, I'm disappointed that none of those pictures on wiki show a sand-bag being used to weigh down the c-stand! haha. Standard safety procedures going RIGHT out the window on that one!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Jay, I just noticed your comment about the c-stand after reading your post again! I gotta say, I'm disappointed that none of those pictures on wiki show a sand-bag being used to weigh down the c-stand! haha. Standard safety procedures going RIGHT out the window on that one!
LOL! I didn't even notice that! Yea man you have to protect your wallet replacing a head can be crazy expensive!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography