RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

uncompressed format

Old 11-12-2007, 11:19 AM

uncompressed format

Most point & shoot digital cameras have no option to save in uncompressed format. Users of these cameras mostly end up with a file in JPG 2.2 format. JPG files cannot be retouched & then saved.

I am researching purchase of a point & shoot digital camera & I am surprised that most buyers of them are willing to shoot images that they cannot retouch in any way. Are there really so many users of point & shoot digital cameras who have no interest in retouching their photos?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 11:32 AM

Re: uncompressed format

Why cant you retouch a jpg? Thats what I do. But you need to save in .psd or other format if you want to resume your editing.

If you want a point and shoot, choose one that can take RAW images. Thats the best way to keep the quality.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00110 View Post
Most point & shoot digital cameras have no option to save in uncompressed format. Users of these cameras mostly end up with a file in JPG 2.2 format. JPG files cannot be retouched & then saved.

I am researching purchase of a point & shoot digital camera & I am surprised that most buyers of them are willing to shoot images that they cannot retouch in any way. Are there really so many users of point & shoot digital cameras who have no interest in retouching their photos?

Huh? I edit .jpgs all the time. In the photo art part of this site, we work on .jpgs for art fun. Do you maybe mean you can't edit them in camera? Jpg is fine if you save them immediately on your hard drive or cd as .tiffs or .psd (photoshop format) and then get rid of them or never open them again.

Jpgs lose information (compress) as they are opened and saved again and again. That's why you need to save in another format.

Don't worry that your camera shoots jpgs. Make your camera settings, composition, lighting, etc. the best you can and then tweak with some kind of digital imaging software.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 02:47 PM

hi,
1. you can retouch a jpg but need t keep in mind when ever you resave a jpg file you lose a little quality.....
2. my self i would prefer a camera... that will allow me to either download as a raw file , which I think is the best, or at least tif.. I don't know if other formats like bmp or png are saved internally......
3. there a new image format.. it lossy but better than jpg or jpg2000 ...
it called hd photo..... .hdt ...... when the jpeg group finishes with standardizing, it will becalled jpeg XR ..... advantages....
well look at the discription in this link.... there a lot of good advantages....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Photo since there won't be no copyright fees involved.... this should catch on very quickly with camera manufactures replacing the standard jpg with jpegxr, and also as a standard for the net ...

4. most people who buy cameras,,, all they want is to just shoot and print good pictures... they have no desires to mess with editing software or spend hours on improving a picture..... software that come with cameras for the most part... are extremely simple providing just red eyd correction auto color correction or auto brightness.... the user wants things extremely simple and reliable and easy to sue.... ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00110 View Post

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography