RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Jill Greenberg, abusive photography?

Old 11-16-2007, 01:54 PM

Re: Jill Greenberg, abusive photography?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdjan View Post
no i'm afraid i can't see it. it is not the question of message that pictures send, just the method used to produce them. basically i blame the parents who let their kids be used in such manner, and would never allow anyone do it to my kids, nor would do it as a photographer to get a better picture.
so U never take a shot on a child crying OK... but they cry sometimes, so till there isn't any proof of anybody made them cry matter is message (IMHO)

saby
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdjan View Post
no i'm afraid i can't see it. it is not the question of message that pictures send, just the method used to produce them. basically i blame the parents who let their kids be used in such manner, and would never allow anyone do it to my kids, nor would do it as a photographer to get a better picture.
anotherthing:

U never let Your children, because U never want to see them cry, of course, but U know how it is...

saby
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2007, 03:46 PM

ok i just spent a day with my friends little 1 1/2 year old. I have come to the conclusion they cry over everything. I had a jan moment. i was at mcdonalds, and he wanted my fries. he grabed a fry from me, and i took it back. (he is not alowed to have fries or potatos cuz he is alergic to them) and he like started balling. Then i gave him an apple peace and he shut up almost instatly. From full blown tears to happy. 3 mins later he tells me he like apples more then fries, and he love me. lol. Maybe its not a big deal to cry when your little. maybe we all need a lolypop taken from us, once in a wile. Maybe we all should cry more. just a thought
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2007, 07:03 AM

Just had a thought,
maybe the next in the series for Jill would be adults, now how to make them cry ?

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
Just had a thought,
maybe the next in the series for Jill would be adults, now how to make them cry ?

Palms
take away cellphones, cars, money,....etc

not so hard

saby
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.aj View Post
well sir...that is why you are you and wel,l we all know who jill greenberg is . Keep doing what you are doing, and let her keep doing what she is doing.

Can I take a picture of you crying? It would be so awesome
Well sir...that answer is just plain stupid. As I see it, this is not thread about being succesful, but about what methods are acceptable for geting desired results. I simply stated that this is not something i would do, that is all.
And yes, you could take my picture crying, but first tell me what do you plan to do to make me cry.

and finaly, thank you for your kind support in continuing my work
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2007, 04:18 AM

I dunno... I agree that a child crying once is no big deal, but to make a child cry on purpose? At some level, that bothers me. Setting the whole cruelty issue aside, while a photographer might snap a wonderful face by doing that, isn't much of photography the art of capturing a moment instead of merely documenting a created moment?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2007, 08:19 AM

people seem to really overreact to petty things these days....parents take candy away from kids all the time....it's not like it's a memory that's gonna haunt them or something...lol i don't see them in therapy for it ya know....they won't even remember it the next day, probably not even in the next hour. (and i haven't even looked at her pictures so i'm not saying this cause i like them or anything....i just think people try to make something big outta things that are really insignificant) ...i'm bout to go look at her pics now though
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2012, 12:39 PM

As a Mom I say it was abusive and disrespectful to the child. I was greatly disturbed by her photos. Why would I purposely upset my child for some photographers whim. We may as adults not feel that any huge atrocity was done and it wouldn't be if it was done to us because we are grown ups and know we have a choice in the matter, we can protect our selves and voice our objections. Obviously that is not true to a a young child who is dependent on grown ups for their care taking and survival. What is being taught to the child in this instance is that grown ups can't be trusted and they will do things to hurt and upset you. Adults are the protectors of the weak and the vulnerable and how much more can you be so then a young child. Shame on Jill Greenburg and shame on those children's parents. Ans shame on any of you that think this was ok.
Good parents don't whip candy away from a child for no reason and certainly not to make them cry. And as for remembering it later, all our life experiences add up to make us who we are even the ones we don't consciously recall. They still have had an effect in shaping us.
And to the person who mentioned that she is famous and we are not I say so what. So are a lot of other immoral people. Doesn't mean that is what we should strive to be like.

Last edited by Kathy Tryon; 05-08-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Tryon View Post
As a Mom I say it was abusive and disrespectful to the child. I was greatly disturbed by her photos. Why would I purposely upset my child for some photographers whim. We may as adults not feel that any huge atrocity was done and it wouldn't be if it was done to us because we are grown ups and know we have a choice in the matter, we can protect our selves and voice our objections. Obviously that is not true to a a young child who is dependent on grown ups for their care taking and survival. What is being taught to the child in this instance is that grown ups can't be trusted and they will do things to hurt and upset you. Adults are the protectors of the weak and the vulnerable and how much more can you be so then a young child. Shame on Jill Greenburg and shame on those children's parents. Ans shame on any of you that think this was ok.
Good parents don't whip candy away from a child for no reason and certainly not to make them cry. And as for remembering it later, all our life experiences add up to make us who we are even the ones we don't consciously recall. They still have had an effect in shaping us.
And to the person who mentioned that she is famous and we are not I say so what. So are a lot of other immoral people. Doesn't mean that is what we should strive to be like.
You joined in 2005 and waited 7 years to make your first post on a 5 year-old thread???

I'm not sure what side of the fence I'd land on on this, but I think you have made a good argument

--shift studio.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography