Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Jill Greenberg, abusive photography?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Re: Jill Greenberg, abusive photography?

I wouldn't do it, personally, but nothing wrong with it. I'll put a TON of money on that the kids, when grown up, will not only LOVE being part of the project but also having a piece of the pie (assuming the parents gave the money to them)

Disturbing - how many kids are allowed to watch horror/violent flicks and be part of those productions. I would never, ever let my child be part of some horror flick, but clearly many do.

That's where the discussion should be, if there is a need to have one, not on some clearly tasteful and accomplished photographer's expressive project.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 PM

I absolutely disagree. Just because certain people let their kids take part in gross horror movies does not mean it's ok to let some self-focused photographer snatch something from little children just to make them cry. Doing such an unnecessary thing to kids to deliberately cause them to react like that doesn't make any sense at all.

There are all kinds of improper, unnecessary, indecent, disrespectful and otherwise negative things done in the name of so-called 'art'. Or photography. All those things show is a lack of judgment, respect and character in the so-called 'artist'. It's one thing to photograph a little child crying because something unhappy happened and you happened to be there to capture it. It's quite another thing to intentionally make something bad happen from their perspective just for a silly photograph.

Kathy Tryon is absolutely right in what she's saying. It's hurtful from the child's perspective whether or not adults care at all (or whether or not there's permanent damage done), and it's absolutely unnecessary to do in order to get a good picture. All it serves to do is to satisfy a misguided photographer's ego (or indulge some immature phase they're going through).

Last edited by RobertAsh; 05-09-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 AM

Maybe the issue of how the children were made to cry is relatively trivial in the grand scheme of things but what I don't see as trivial is the issue of consent. The images are going to remain in the public domain for a long time and we can't predict how the children will be affected by this as adults. How would you feel if a picture of you crying as a child was so public?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2012, 03:13 AM

In my opinion - this is the real art:

Can you imagine, how difficult is to catch this moving boy with manual focus camera and get his expression? And how easy is to make small children cry?

Regards, Filip

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography