RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Jill Greenberg, abusive photography?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:24 PM

Jill Greenberg, abusive photography?

all though old news, Jill Greenberg artwork of the children crying has brought up alot of contiversy. Jill used a technic of taking a lolypop away frrom kids to make them cry. Her photos are amazing, and very artisic. But would you go that far as to make a child cry, and also how far should someone go for art.

my thoughts is no, thats not the way i would have done it, i used to get enuff crying kids a day at my studio. No need to go that route. But its not realy that bad, taking a lolypop away from a kid and they start crying like crazy. I bet they are already easy to cry babies in the firstplace. Also i bet most of those kids stoped crying after 30 seconds. If i was jill i would of kept my mouth shut, though. Because everyone loves to blow things up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I26UhE1njFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w2eufjHipE
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 PM

Re: Jill Greenberg, abusive photography?

man i just replied to this message...who cares? She didn't go Passion of the Christ on the kids did she. Now if she beat the hell out of the kids or threw them out in the cold, or starved them for a week, or waterboarded them...then we need to talk.

She took a sucker, who cares if they cry? Really who cares? Why do we have to have so many mothers in our society hold hands and try to be so politically correct?????

The pictures are Awesome, so much emotion, so much detail, so cleverly titled...can't we all just shut up and learn something from someone that just used her brain? She had an idea, what is more emotional than someone crying, who doesn't love kids, who hasn't seen a crying baby, we can all relate...

She prolly thought how can I make a kid cry, take candy away...kid crys for 5-3000 mins who cares, give candy back, kid stops crying. awesome.

You ougt to see me take away the bone from the dog and the catnip from the feline, it does wonders

aj

p.s. I'm not an asshole, I just am at a point where I am disgusted by everyone being so soft anymore, especially here in the us...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2007, 02:42 AM

aj, sadly i have to say if she when "Passion of the Christ on the kids did she. Now if she beat the hell out of the kids or threw them out in the cold, or starved them for a week, or waterboarded them" Then those would be some realy amazing pictures, lol im joking. i feal the same way as you i thought i would just see what other people think. any one have an opion that she was wrong?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2007, 06:30 AM

I do.

Why do you think it was ok to do it? Because you like Jill's photos? And if you didn't like them, would it be ok then?

srdjan
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2007, 07:57 AM

I think Jill Greenberg told the matter about it all, she wanted to tell something by the pictures and she could, end-time dedicated to pain can' t U see, it' s not a poltical coming out, it's written in bible.

saby
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saby View Post
I think Jill Greenberg told the matter about it all, she wanted to tell something by the pictures and she could, end-time dedicated to pain can' t U see, it' s not a poltical coming out, it's written in bible.

saby
no i'm afraid i can't see it. it is not the question of message that pictures send, just the method used to produce them. basically i blame the parents who let their kids be used in such manner, and would never allow anyone do it to my kids, nor would do it as a photographer to get a better picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2007, 10:12 AM

well sir...that is why you are you and wel,l we all know who jill greenberg is . Keep doing what you are doing, and let her keep doing what she is doing.

Can I take a picture of you crying? It would be so awesome
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 AM

The thing to remember is that the parents of these children were there and consented to it. The children were not hurt or psychologically damaged, they just had some candy taken from them, no big deal....babies that young have things taken from them practically on an hourly basis.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 AM

Such a troll post..
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2007, 10:41 AM

thank you jessie...

now I am not an animal and I don't condone child abuse, but i mean it was like a sucker, or a snicker, or whatever the hell it was....haha it was nothing, kids don't even know what is going on at that age...take some psych courses....when you play peekaboo, they really think you disappear. sigh...i just can't stand how everyone gets so offended...am I really that far from society??

aj
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography