Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Is Color Temperature Irrelevant?

Old 12-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Re: Is Color Temperature Irrelevant?

You surprised me by asking a question like this but here is my 2 cents worth..

I agree with Mucker about getting it right in camera.. I have spent way to much time in the darkroom fixing things that could have been avoided with a proper shoot utilizing the seven "P"s.

To answer the question "Is Color Temperature Irrelevant?"
NO! It is not irrelevant if you want the right colors..

OlBaldy is right. Digital photography is descended from film photography. "White balance" is just another name for "color balance" with film. You shoot with tungsten lights, you use a film color balanced for that. You shoot outdoors or with flash, you use daylight balanced film.

Can you imagine the contortions wet darkroom workers had to go thru to correct colors when the photographer used the wrong film for the light source? I imagine the shoot was trashed & the photographer fired. So much for post-processing in PS. Digital is no different from film in that respect. Get the correct white/color balance at the shoot. It will avoid a multitude of sins.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Re: Is Color Temperature Irrelevant?

We are discussing raw. Of course, with jpeg color temperature is relevant. As far as I know, raw capture is totally indepedent on the wb settings you are using on your camera: they are used for in-camera jpeg processing or tagging your raw file to tell the converter what was your intent. I have done the comparison with Canon's RIT (raw image task, same algorithms as in camera). Absolutely no difference in raw data between two pictures taken in daylight or tungsten. You don't change sensors as you change films. You just tell the processor how to interpret the signals...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography