RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Black and White prints

Old 12-27-2007, 06:36 AM

Black and White prints

I visited a local coffie shop were the wall is filled with prints for sale by local photogs. By far the best there were from a local who did mostly Black and White "THEY WERE ART', very nice and I really thought done with film. Wile I was there he showed up, so I asked as to his dark room set up. WELL they were digital made to LOOK LIKE FILM. Very good high quality prints.. I asked as to the processing to get the look and found out that its not done by computter but rather by a custom mixing of ink on the ink jet printer. Tweeking the magenta mostly. Any one here do this and know the proper mix?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2007, 03:06 AM

Re: Black and White prints

i don't know that particular mix, but i have been tempted to turn an old epson printer into a true black and white printer..there is a company that makes ink cartridges with different shades of black ink which give you a print with "rich" blacks...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2007, 04:50 AM

ok

thank you for the information..let know whats the name of the company giving rich colors?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2007, 06:52 AM

Visit inkjetmall.com.
Jon Cone's Piezography system yields beautiful prints. I have used it with great results.
Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills View Post
Visit inkjetmall.com.
Jon Cone's Piezography system yields beautiful prints. I have used it with great results.
Bill
what kind of printer did you use and how did the conversion go?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2007, 02:29 PM

Well, I started years ago with an Epson 1280 and Cone's system that was available at the time. My preference for print color was an ink called Carbon Sepia.
After that I obtained software from a company named Bowhouse in Calif that allowed the user to essentially control the print heads of an Epson 2200 individually with a curves window very much like photoshop's curves. So in the end one was actually writing there own custom linearized profile.
I used Cone's inks and was producing 7 tone B&W prints. They were unbelievable. WAY nicer than anything I could do in a darkroom, and I was an accomplished B&W printer.
Cone has since refined the systems to work on an Epson 2200/2400. You simply replace the carts with his carts and use I think the original driver. But in any case some research at Inkjetmall will answer your questions. They are very nice helpful people. And I believe you can simply replace the carts with the original color carts if you want to go back to color.
All in all it is a simple easy to use system that has the potential to produce museum quality B&W prints when combined with some of the excellent papers available today. (my personal preference is Crane Museo Silver Rag).

On my website www.billsimonephotography.com under "places" there are galleries of some of the B&W work I have printed by the above methods.

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2007, 02:36 PM

thanks for the info, i'll be sure to check it out...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography