RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Why buy a Mac?

Old 01-26-2008, 02:10 PM

Re: Why buy a Mac?

read the following information before you decide to spend money on anti-virus software:

http://www.pocopico.com/rants/osx_hardening.php

http://blog.cocoia.com/2007/03/10/ho...efore-leopard/
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 02:56 PM

I think that there are so many reasons to buy a Mac that you have to just step back and consider the Cons:

You are more locked in to one companies output (Apple) than you are with PC. And that spells (in general), higher prices because of less competition. Certainly not on the operating system itself because there is no greater restrainer of trade than Microsoft.

As I said in an above post, I was infuriated to find a proprietary headphone jack on my IPhone that does not allow me to use my Bose headphones without an adapter! I just got back from the Apple store and I was looking at Apple TV with interest, however, it just seems like one more proprietary lock to lead me in to less market choices. Come on Apple, give us a break! We are loyal to your great products. . . . don't keep trying to win by winnowing away all choices!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 03:05 PM

i agree that the iphone jack is a pathetic way to design a product but complaining here won't do much good, i suggest you write them a letter...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 03:43 PM

T. Paul...

>>>>So what anti-virus programs do you recommend for the Mac?

Don't spend the money. You've been around the web long enough to know where you might pick up anything "bad" and (knock on wood) there are no dangerous gremlins running around for the Mac. Trust me, when/if someone does crack the Mac with something that is really dangerous, you'll read about it online or in the paper in a heart beat, because it will be big news.

While I'm at it, in addition to excellent information found in the Apple Discussion areas, Bookmark these....

1. Versiontracker.com - Best source for the latest commercial update, shareware and freeware.
2. Macfixit.com - Excellent source for news on technical stuff that may affect your Mac. Sometimes things like Security updates or OS updates break things on people's computers. This is a good source for what may cause a problem or what might fix it.
3. Macresource.com - Has a friendly forum area and I have often gotten quick help there. Sometimes I've had a problem solved in just a few minutes. It's member helping members and there is some crazy reparte at times, but I've been frequenting the place for years.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 03:55 PM

yo can add http://macsurfer.com/ to the list as well...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
i agree that the iphone jack is a pathetic way to design a product but complaining here won't do much good, i suggest you write them a letter...
I doubt that a letter would be of any value either. Is my message off subject? I was just trying to have a discussion! I still love the products and I would hope that the see the light on what the market wants.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 09:38 PM

MacBook Air lacks features - Infoworld

Secure Your New Mac - by Kim Komando

----
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 AM

I think its a personal preference,its like canon or nikon both great but different.Some prefer the features on one to the other
just my opinion
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2008, 07:01 AM

ONCE YOU GO MAC YOU NEVER GO BACK
After switching to Mac platform, I couldnt imagine working on PC again. If I dust off my dell from time to time to look for an old file, its just pop ups, error reports, hang ups, crashes, etc. I have a mac pro intel tower and just picked up a macbook pro, theyre tanks, they work, and without bullshit. nothings perfect, but Im not dealing with the annoying crap that pcs get. And as far as upgrading.....I dunno what that one guy was talking about, I popped a 1 tb WD SATA drive into my tower in 2 minutes, and that was that, the RAM in my MBP was a matter of plugging 2 2 gig chips in the bottom. On a mac, everything is much more intuitive and works. Unlike a PC, which I liken to walking down Mulberry st in little italy on a summer night and having every waiter trying to bug you to come eat.

But hey, if you like PC, then by all means. I find the mac to be much much much less frustrating to use in all regards. Plus they have something that any other PC Ive seen doesnt......STYLE
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 02:57 AM

ONCE YOU GO MAC YOU NEVER GO BACK

Wrong.

Tried em, don't rate em.

(Don't bother replying, I've said all I want to on this subject)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography