RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Why buy a Mac?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:58 AM

Re: Why buy a Mac?

umm. no, actually you're wrong. Trying is a little different than using.

And thats all I have to say on your subject
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 08:57 AM

Garibaldi... Gary will never change. He is RTP's resident Windows IT department. He loves tinkering under the hood and resolving (PC) issues. I like to think he just doesn't find Macs as challenging in that regard. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Garibaldi... Gary will never change. He is RetouchPRO's resident Windows IT department. He loves tinkering under the hood and resolving (PC) issues. I like to think he just doesn't find Macs as challenging in that regard. :-)
Actually, it is fun to listen (or see all this). I have been a computer "user" since early DOS and my first machine with a hard drive was the luggable Compaq and it had a 10 Meg drive! I thought that after the dual 5 1/2" or whatever floppies that I had reached Nirvana. The joke was on me and everyone else who at that time were buying machines with no real needs in mind.

Over the years, I got more and more dependent on what a machine would do for my life style and Quicken showed me how much all this was costing me. Then Photoshop ver. 3 got me.

I never really cared about the guts and code of ANY machine even tho my Son became one of the early employees at Satellite Software Co. I, of course, advised him to get a "real job" in as much as he had 2 kids by then, Laugh was on me, for Satellite Software's product was WordPerfect and he retired at 42 with a lot of $$ !!

Eventually the design and pop-ups and arrogance of the big Microsoft monster made me buy a Mac and I really like most things about them. We are a 4 Mac house now and I am linked to my family all over the country with built in video chatting including my retired Son who switched as well.

I see increasing signs of that MS style arrogance from Apple and it saddens me. . . but big business sucks anyway. Too each his/her own!

There will always be a "mine is best" thought process going on. Have I ever told you about the benefits of Canon over Nikon?? LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 11:15 PM

Yes Ga, We run 10 or so PCs in our business as 'hacks' incl server, but when it comes to my own stuff, I only use Macs. I do have Paralells on one of my MiniMac Intel™ machines just in case, but rarely use it. The PCs I can use for free but have to pay for my Macs, but I guess I got hooked back when I got vers 3.0 of Adobe Photoshop, when it had yet to be ported to PC's. Anyway,who really cares? Just use whatever works for us. After all, a claw hammer & a ball pein hammer will both belt a nail in, but one does it much better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2009, 11:45 PM

Of course. Specially because the RAM. PC cannot address more than 1,8 GB of RAM per application (inside a 32-bit OS) and the macs can address up to 3,8 GB of RAM (inside a 32-bit OS). Most plugins and programs don't support 64-bit plataforms, so choosing a Mac is the deal. Not to mention all the other virtues already posted here (and about calibration is just perfect and IMPOSSIBLE in windows!).

I also have Windows installed, just for video game playing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2009, 11:19 PM

If you recall computer history a little, way back in 1998, before Apple had its success with the iMac, and thelater iPods, they frankly needed some cash, so for a small sum (I recall it was around $1 billion) Microsoft licensed a number of Apple technologies, such as drag and drop, to make the Windows OS more Mac-like. I'd hate to break it to the Windows guys bashing Apple, but you've been using Apple technology for years in your PC . You gotta love the MS commercials bashing Apples - I'd love to see a Windows computer that could run Mac OS X, Mac Classic, and Windows at the same time on one computer, like I've done for years on my Mac. Mac users love their computers while PC users throw them in the dumpster!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class View Post
If you recall computer history a little, way back in 1998, before Apple had its success with the iMac, and thelater iPods, they frankly needed some cash, so for a small sum (I recall it was around $1 billion) Microsoft licensed a number of Apple technologies, such as drag and drop, to make the Windows OS more Mac-like. I'd hate to break it to the Windows guys bashing Apple, but you've been using Apple technology for years in your PC . You gotta love the MS commercials bashing Apples - I'd love to see a Windows computer that could run Mac OS X, Mac Classic, and Windows at the same time on one computer, like I've done for years on my Mac. Mac users love their computers while PC users throw them in the dumpster!
Never well said... And here is an cool image that probes that:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg win_vs_mac.jpg (30.7 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 10:35 AM

Uhm actually in Vista 64, I can access 8 gigs of RAM, whereas on my MAC I can only access 4 gigs of RAM. A bit silly I think.

Seriously: A mac and a PC both can run photoshop quite well. One's a bit prettier but a WHOLE lot more expensive. The other one isn't so pretty but a lot cheaper. For photoshop use there is almost no difference. Except maybe that the PC has the added bonus of being able to use a massive range of videocards (cheap as well) that speed up your photoshop quite a bit in CS4.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 AM

I have often been tempted to shoot a joke picture that mimicks the apple ads. picture a mac pro tower on one side with a caption above reading "I'm a Mac" and then on the opposite, an image of a pile of dog crap with a caption reading "..and I'm a PC"

hahaha hey whatever works for you. I like macs, others dont. SOme people prefer blondes, others brunettes. who cares really in the end
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
Uhm actually in Vista 64, I can access 8 gigs of RAM, whereas on my MAC I can only access 4 gigs of RAM. A bit silly I think.

Seriously: A mac and a PC both can run photoshop quite well. One's a bit prettier but a WHOLE lot more expensive. The other one isn't so pretty but a lot cheaper. For photoshop use there is almost no difference. Except maybe that the PC has the added bonus of being able to use a massive range of videocards (cheap as well) that speed up your photoshop quite a bit in CS4.
Well... Windows can address more than 1.8 GB of RAM per application only in 64 bits, but that OS is quite unestable and there are not enough drivers, plugins and programs for that architecture. Mac can address 4 GB of RAM just using a 32-bits architecture and I think that's the best advantage (that's why I chosed Mac). You can install a 64 bit OS in the Mac as well. Macintosh is not also pretty, they're so estable! I bought mine around 5 month ago, I have windows installed in a separated HD (and Parallels Desktop is so cool!) to play video games and I had installed and unistalled lot of things and it works like a charm. The other thing that amazed me when I started using this mac was the color managment. I could never do a good print with Windows, in Mac I just need to push the print button and that's all. Also, every application is color synchronized, in Windows each app shows the same image with different colors and density and the difference in color quality is just amazing. The first thing I bought was the monitor and plugged into a PC. I saw a big improvement but when I bought the mac I was speechless...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography