RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Why buy a Mac?

Old 10-15-2009, 11:02 AM

Re: Why buy a Mac?

Not to mention that Mac is super clean and quite, and easy to remove stuff from inside.

And also super integrated with imaging! Just previewing any kind of RAW with the space bar is so handy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 11:09 AM

“One's a bit prettier but a WHOLE lot more expensive.”

This is a total misinformation.

1. Can your Windows PC run Mac OS X, Classic Mac, and Windows AT THE SAME TIME? Now add to your PC’s cost the time it takes you to work on multiple computers as opposed to one. I can also run additional copies of Window OS’s via products similar to VirtualPC.

2. Think of all the time you spend on viruses and related security updates and the like; god forbid you’ve actually had a PC’s hardrive destroyed, etc... Just look at a bloted code base which is Windows - its made for insecurity - there stuff in there that MS does not even know why its there any more. Time is money!

3. My Macs are Plug-and-play. I take them out of the box and they WORK. I’m not looking through a minefield of drivers to get them to work. When I unplug a usb device with my Mac running my Mac does not freeze. When I have a simple power failure it does not crash my whole OS and require a reinstall - I simply turn my Mac back on. Whats that worth to you - or do you work for free?

4. You are already using a Mac (a sickly blacksheep cousin) - every single copy of Windows has licensed Apple technology it.

“Except maybe that the PC has the added bonus of being able to use a massive range of videocards (cheap as well) that speed up your photoshop quite a bit in CS4.”

You mean you can’t change these things in a Mac? That’s strange because I’ve been changing these things for years since Apple does not make many of the internal components such as hard drives, memory, and similar items - they are 3rd party off the shelf stuff just like PCs (heck Apple’s older printers were Apple in name only). You sure you own a Mac?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 11:26 AM

By the way, PC gets outdated quite fast and the whole hardware works quite slow. Mac is about buying once and be happy, PC isn't.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class View Post
“One's a bit prettier but a WHOLE lot more expensive.”

This is a total misinformation.

1. Can your Windows PC run Mac OS X, Classic Mac, and Windows AT THE SAME TIME? Now add to your PC’s cost the time it takes you to work on multiple computers as opposed to one. I can also run additional copies of Window OS’s via products similar to VirtualPC.

2. Think of all the time you spend on viruses and related security updates and the like; god forbid you’ve actually had a PC’s hardrive destroyed, etc... Just look at a bloted code base which is Windows - its made for insecurity - there stuff in there that MS does not even know why its there any more. Time is money!

3. My Macs are Plug-and-play. I take them out of the box and they WORK. I’m not looking through a minefield of drivers to get them to work. When I unplug a usb device with my Mac running my Mac does not freeze. When I have a simple power failure it does not crash my whole OS and require a reinstall - I simply turn my Mac back on. Whats that worth to you - or do you work for free?

4. You are already using a Mac (a sickly blacksheep cousin) - every single copy of Windows has licensed Apple technology it.

“Except maybe that the PC has the added bonus of being able to use a massive range of videocards (cheap as well) that speed up your photoshop quite a bit in CS4.”

You mean you can’t change these things in a Mac? That’s strange because I’ve been changing these things for years since Apple does not make many of the internal components such as hard drives, memory, and similar items - they are 3rd party off the shelf stuff just like PCs (heck Apple’s older printers were Apple in name only). You sure you own a Mac?
actually its not misinformation.

I just recently built a machine with high end hardware thats not even available on the top end mac pro's yet. (intel core i7, ssd drives, 285gtx, etc.) and I'm running OSX and Windows 7 on it at the SAME time.... in fact 90% of the time I'm using OSX because i like it better than windows. I have windows to play games but lately I haven't had much time to do that.

I spent about $1800 for all this. It would've cost me about $3000 if I was to buy apple hardware. OSX runs like a dream and it benchmarks as high as the Mac pro equivalent. and I'm using a mac keyboard because i like those a lot better.

granted it did take a little bit of elbow grease to get it there but in my opinion its worth saving $1200 to spend a weekend of setting up. There is tons of information out there on how to do this. here's a good place to start:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

When you compare and Mac to a PC that you get at Walmart of course you're getting an inferior computer. but when you do a bit of research and hand pick the hardware and build the computer from scratch you're getting a machine thats just as good or a lot of times better than the prepackaged Macs.

and the the whole argument about pc's already using apple tech goes both ways. USB was developed by intel for pc's and then apple took it on to pretty much replace the firewire interface.

as far as the ram thing is concerned, adobe released a 64-bit version of photoshop cs4 so it can use much more than 4 GB of memory as long as your operating system is also 64-bit. there was a lot of compatibility issues for 64-bit for a while but all that been dealt with by now. the mac version limits photoshop to 3.8Gb until they release CS5. I still prefer to use osx for photoshop just because it feels smoother for some reason.

Edit: BTW I bought a copy of Snow leopard, in case you were wondering... and all the software updates work just like a store bought mac.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janko View Post
actually its not misinformation.
the mac version limits photoshop to 3.8Gb until they release CS5. I still prefer to use osx for photoshop just because it feels smoother for some reason.
Also when using a 64-bit Mac OS with Adobe CS4 for 64?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Also when using a 64-bit Mac OS with Adobe CS4 for 64?
yep, All the adobe software is being rewritten in Cocoa to support 64-bit.

http://cs5.org/?p=172
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janko View Post
yep, All the adobe software is being rewritten in Cocoa to support 64-bit.

http://cs5.org/?p=172
I think the new CS5 for Mac will be stunning then! So what kind of video games do you like?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 03:57 PM

I use both daily and while I prefer Windows at home for general computer use,
I prefer using the Mac for Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark.
BTW Macs do crash. They even have their own "grey screen of death" in four different languages.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 01:29 AM

I went mac for the first time in my life a year and a half ago.... I will never, ever go back to windows...... Apple computer is like the original sin apple for adam and eve from the garden of eden's tree of knowledge of good and evil....

seriously though, I feel like I probably sold my soul for having such a great computer.....

If I still played video games, then I might think a bit differently, but I can't tell you how good it feels to be a convert..... I cringe now when I touch a windows computer..... and I want to throw it out the window....
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve13 View Post
I use both daily and while I prefer Windows at home for general computer use,
I prefer using the Mac for Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark.
BTW Macs do crash. They even have their own "grey screen of death" in four different languages.
I've a mac from about 5 months ago, I use it all the days to work on images and other stuff, it's turned on every day around 16 hours and I have never had a crash. Your mac maybe has a deffect.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography