RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Why buy a Mac?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 01-04-2008, 10:43 AM
pixelzombie pixelzombie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,098
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
I am neither, but value for money, you can't really beat a PC. I buy a new one every now and again, however if I don't need to upgrade the RAM, I can carry it over. If I don't want a new case, I keep the case. With a Mac.... well.... good luck with upgrading.

And when is Mac going to put some decent videocards in their machines?

I'd vote PC
it's a well documented fact that macs are cheaper in the long run and you get a faster return on your investment...
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 01-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Stephen A's Avatar
Stephen A Stephen A is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
it's a well documented fact that macs are cheaper in the long run and you get a faster return on your investment...
I'm going to have to go with DJSoulglo.

The Mac OS is about 4x better than windows, even Microsoft's newest Vista. However, their hardware is usually pretty watery at best. I realize you can customize Apple computers so they're practically tanks, but so far as cost goes you're better with a PC.

I can build a PC that's ~1.5x-2x better than a Apple for the same price. With that said, I'm not going to rain on Apple's parade...

Their OS is SO much nicer than Windows (and *nix) that it's almost enough to look over the fact that their hardware doesn't (practically) compare. I'm a bit of a gamer, so the choice was a no brainer for me.

Now I'm going to be a prude and demand you show some proof that there exists a "long term benefit" of buying a Apple vs. a PC. :P

e: I should add - if you want the better PC for the same cost as the Apple, you'll be building it yourself.

Last edited by Stephen A; 01-04-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 01-04-2008, 02:57 PM
plugsnpixels's Avatar
plugsnpixels plugsnpixels is offline
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA area
Posts: 2,027
Question Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_monkey View Post
Yes, PC has the ability to run Mac OS X and no longer requires emulation since Apple has shifted towards x86 CPUs.
pixel monkey, what's the latest on this? I use Mac hardware to run Mac/Windows, so haven't kept up with the opposite approach. Does this apply to running Leopard?
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Stephen A's Avatar
Stephen A Stephen A is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
pixel monkey, what's the latest on this? I use Mac hardware to run Mac/Windows, so haven't kept up with the opposite approach. Does this apply to running Leopard?
I tried it, runs nicely but there's definitely hardware limitations. I ended up going back to windows - but you have to remember running a hacked x86 kernel is considered illegal.

http://www.osx86project.org/
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Markzebra's Avatar
Markzebra Markzebra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 718
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Stephen A. You say about apple hardware "However, their hardware is usually pretty watery at best." Does that include durability, and build quality ? I've been using macs for 12 years and had only one hardrive collapse on me in that time.

"I can build a PC that's ~1.5x-2x better than a Apple for the same price." Ok, reliability aside, in what other way is $700 worth of PC hardware better than my Dual G5?

Last edited by Markzebra; 01-06-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #16  
Old 01-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Stephen A's Avatar
Stephen A Stephen A is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Stephen A. You say about apple hardware "However, their hardware is usually pretty watery at best." Does that include durability, and build quality ? I've been using macs for 12 years and had only one hardrive collapse on me in that time.
Uhhh... Apple doesn't make their hard drives, so that's a pretty bad example - they use off the shelf hard drives. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
"I can build a PC that's ~1.5x-2x better than a Apple for the same price." Ok, reliability aside, in what other way is $700 worth of PC hardware better than my Dual G5?
Did you dual G5 cost you $700 when it was new?
Reply With Quote top
  #17  
Old 01-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Godmother's Avatar
Godmother Godmother is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 814
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
with the rise of popularity of the Mac, and the increasing number of people using them, there now actually are virusses that target just the Mac.

I still think the Macs are nice looking computers that do their job quite well, but are WAY WAY WAY WAY overpriced and a hassle to upgrade.

I've been using Windows Vista for a while now and have had not a single problem yet.

Are there bugs in windows software? Hell yes. Are here bugs in Mac OSX? Hell yes. About 5 years ago, there was a distinction between stability, now however there isn't anymore. You can debate till death and there are hardcore PC users and hardcore Mac users. I am neither, but value for money, you can't really beat a PC. I buy a new one every now and again, however if I don't need to upgrade the RAM, I can carry it over. If I don't want a new case, I keep the case. With a Mac.... well.... good luck with upgrading.

And when is Mac going to put some decent videocards in their machines?

I'd vote PC
So you never used a mac right?

PC crashes... 98/XP/Vista you name it! it crashes! Macs don't, ever, ever
Think about fluid use of Photoshop, no delays, no crashes, no strange noises lol

I have the PC on the side (My bf uses it to work) and it's horrid to hear it constantly.

And... upgrades... you need to upgrade your PC because it gets OLD the minute after you bought it.... macs work as new even years (I have a 5 year old imac and it's so faithful it's scary) after you bought them.

Now I work on the new imac aluminium and it's simply a beauty.

I've used both and I don't understand how someone who has used BOTH still debates

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
  #18  
Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Stephen A's Avatar
Stephen A Stephen A is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
PC crashes... 98/XP/Vista you name it! it crashes! Macs don't, ever, ever
Think about fluid use of Photoshop, no delays, no crashes, no strange noises lol
It greatly depends on the hardware you're using. If you're using average hardware (cheap) you won't have a very good user experience. Sadly, a lot of big stores sell PCs that have cheap parts in them, so there are a lot of driver conflicts and just bad programming which gunks everything up.

That's not to say every cheap PC will crash often, but most will - independant of the OS. Crashing isn't the operating system's fault in most cases, it's the drivers and their interactions with the OS that usually cause the problems. If I had to make an analogy I guess it would be like a grandfather clock. You buy the body, and some of the main gears, then you try to carve the rest you need out of foam, and when you find the foam cracks and the pieces jam everything up - you blame the the other metal gears which came with it.

Most of the computers I've put together were carefully selected, and as I've got a bit older and made a bit more money I've been fortunate enough to select higher quality parts. As a result, my computer rarely crashes - and when it does, it's usually my fault (opening several insanely hi-res files at once... although when I say crash I mean specifically a program). My computer has only once entirely locked up and I've been using it for two years now (on almost constantly, at that!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
And... upgrades... you need to upgrade your PC because it gets OLD the minute after you bought it.... macs work as new even years (I have a 5 year old imac and it's so faithful it's scary) after you bought them.
I guess I'll refer to my grandfather clock analogy again. If you want it to work with foam gears, you will constantly have to carve new gears for it until you can afford wood, and then after that it's metal.

Upgrading the metal gears is much less often. On the note of "Metalgear" I'll assume your boyfriend games a lot? That's usually the only reason a person needs to upgrade their computer. That's Apple's one major downsides, their game selection is minuscule in comparison to Windows. The next is that their run of the mill computer, which costs considerably more than a run of the mill PC, isn't that potent hardware wise - although they're always better than the el cheapos from Future Shop and the sort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
I've used both and I don't understand how someone who has used BOTH still debates
When I say this, I'm not trying to be a smarty pants, but using does not equate knowing. What I mean is I know Windows very well, and because of that I can use it very well.

However, I don't know Mac OS very well, but since it's so intuitive I can (for general purpose) use it very well. Ask me to change the port my network connects on and I'm lost like a child in a parking lot.

It's actually a sort of funny situation; I find the Apple is better for the run of the mill user, since it's so easy to use and generally very stable (although, in my experience, the eMacs are TRASH). And while a PC of equivalent value will be stable, it won't be as easy to use - which is what causes so much commotion.

The right tool for different jobs.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
So you never used a mac right
Oy, on that note - has anyone else suffered the terrible experience of using an eMac? Constantly it would crash programs. And not the "Oh no! It's slowing down and may crash soon!" sort of crash, the sort that goes something like this... "Oh man, this design is so nice. Now I'll just move my mouse to select this tool... and it just closed? ... my design? "

I'm guessing it's specific to the eMacs, as I rarely encounter crashing on other Apples I've used.
Reply With Quote top
  #19  
Old 01-06-2008, 10:39 PM
plugsnpixels's Avatar
plugsnpixels plugsnpixels is offline
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA area
Posts: 2,027
Re: Why buy a Mac?

A few years ago for my higher-ed lab we ordered 13 eMacs, and 2 or 3 were DOA. There was some known issue with a video-related part. Other than that they were decent machines at the time, and heavy as anchors. I've still got a couple that were in use until recently and are now in the haul-off pile.

Now we have two labs of aluminum iMacs and two of the previous model Intel iMac. Computer labs really test the quality of your machines, and most of the Macs (since we got rid of the 8500s and 17" AppleVision monitors years ago!) have been quite reliable. Besides those awful AppleVisions, the white G5 iMac model has had the most repairs (again, a known issue with bad capacitors). Our dual-533 G4s were quite reliable, aside from an occasional failure of the IBM DeathStar hard drives.

We used to have purchased-new Dells across the hall, but they were so badly obsolete after 2 years, unlike those G4 Mac towers which we got seven years' use out of in the labs (and now various faculty are still using them).
Reply With Quote top
  #20  
Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 PM
pixelzombie pixelzombie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,098
Re: Why buy a Mac?

that reminds me of my time at schawk, when they purchased new machines for the pre-press area the old machines would then be used by the csr's and they would take the csr's old machine and sell them to the employees, so each mac got to live 3 lives so to speak...
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PE4 and Mac OS Leopard Tony Gander Photoshop Elements Help 3 03-31-2008 10:08 AM
MAYBE going to Mac from PC, need advice Marni48 Input/Output/Workflow 13 12-28-2007 02:14 AM
Scan Stitch with Mac jlwags.1 Software 1 12-07-2007 08:58 PM
Mac vs PC versions? camner Hidden Power Support 1 05-19-2007 08:20 AM
Hunting the wild Mac user Doug Nelson Website Feedback 3 04-21-2006 01:06 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved