RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Why buy a Mac?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Stephen A's Avatar
Stephen A Stephen A is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
We used to have purchased-new Dells across the hall, but they were so badly obsolete after 2 years, unlike those G4 Mac towers which we got seven years' use out of in the labs (and now various faculty are still using them).
Blah. Dells are shit unless you spend a fortune on them, which is generally how it is with everything else in life. lol
Reply With Quote top
  #22  
Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 AM
CJ Swartz's Avatar
CJ Swartz CJ Swartz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Metro Phoenix area, Arizona
Posts: 3,345
Blog Entries: 19
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSoulglo View Post
...You can debate till death and there are hardcore PC users and hardcore Mac users. ...
Okay, let's get back to photography... and NOT Canon vs Nikon vs Olympus vs Fuji vs Pentax vs ....
Reply With Quote top
  #23  
Old 01-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Markzebra's Avatar
Markzebra Markzebra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 718
Re: Why buy a Mac?

"Did you dual G5 cost you $700 when it was new?" no but your $700 PC is equivalent to a $1200 mac? (1.5x-2) Ok, maybe thats an unfair comparison.

Apple "isn't that potent hardware wise - although they're always better than the el cheapos from Future Shop and the sort." - can you be more specific? in what way is your PC BETTER than the equivalent priced mac hardware? faster? Not that interested in frame rates, and games. I use my mac for 90% Photoshop. 10% ... Invoicing ;-)
Reply With Quote top
  #24  
Old 01-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Stephen A's Avatar
Stephen A Stephen A is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
no but your $700 PC is equivalent to a $1200 mac? (1.5x-2) Ok, maybe thats an unfair comparison.
Actually... I said you could get a better PC for the same amount. The whole is less than the sum of the parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
can you be more specific? in what way is your PC BETTER than the equivalent priced mac hardware? faster?
That relates directly to a the "el cheapo" PC statement. You won't find a equivalent Apple to such a PC... well aside from the mini mac, which I'm sure is fine for browsing the intertubes and playing the odd movie now and then, but probably pretty trashy for any serious business.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Not that interested in frame rates, and games. I use my mac for 90% Photoshop. 10% ... Invoicing ;-)
In a way that's like asking someone how much they make a year, and then telling them you're not interested in dollars. The newer Creative Suites are designed to utilize the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) on your video card where previously they were just "In ur ram, slowin ur processin".

What sort of work do you do on your computer (you mentioned photoshop)? I do web design for the most part and the odd restoration now and then, and even less frequently I do a retouch - but that's almost the exact opposite with my hobbies, with the exception of gaming being on top.

Now that Apple has switched over to the x86 architecture you will see less and less of this bible-thumping behavior from Apple fans. It's no longer "apples and oranges" now it's just "Granny Smiths and Golden Delicious'" (I'll let you decided which OS is which, hah).
Reply With Quote top
  #25  
Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Markzebra's Avatar
Markzebra Markzebra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 718
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Can you find a single comparative speed test online that rates any PC hardware faster than current macs for running Photoshop CS3? I can't.

So it turns out that "I can build a PC that's ~1.5x-2x better than a Apple for the same price."only means that you can build a PC that is better than a min mac? hmm maybe, but Ill be damned if its reliable

I'm a retoucher, sometimes need to work on layered files above 1gig. Thats one reason, but heres 2 other reasons I could never use a PC to do my job - I hate the PC keyboard, its design, shortcuts. I hate the Operating System in too many ways to say.

I have a pc laptop at home running XP, and am forced to learn maintenance techniques such as typing Msconfig into the run window, and run registry cleaner etc just to get it to run at its best speed. Ridiculous. A worldwide IT industry propped up by Microsoft. When I say "propped up" I mean that without Microsoft's ingeniously stupid operating system 70% of them would be out of work. I work in studios where everyone is on a mac (design and retouching studios), In most of these situations you don't need to pay an IT man 50k a year. Speaks for itself

Back to bed, my St James awaits.

Last edited by Markzebra; 01-09-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
  #26  
Old 01-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Stephen A's Avatar
Stephen A Stephen A is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 90
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Can you find a single comparative speed test online that rates any PC hardware faster than current macs for running Photoshop CS3? I can't.
Yes, after a very lengthy Google search (5 seconds) I did find numerous examples. However, they're all outdated (which comes as no surprise, most comparisons are).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
So it turns out that "I can build a PC that's ~1.5x-2x better than a Apple for the same price."only means that you can build a PC that is better than a min mac? hmm maybe, but Ill be damned if its reliable
Right, you're going to want to read the entire sentence of the statement. I was comparison shitty PCs with shitty Apples, and made the statement that Apple didn't really make any "shitty" computers, with exception of the mini-mac. Not really sure how you put the two together, but anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
I'm a retoucher, sometimes need to work on layered files above 1gig. Thats one reason, but heres 2 other reasons I could never use a PC to do my job - I hate the PC keyboard, its design, shortcuts. I hate the Operating System in too many ways to say.
I'm using a Apple keyboard on my PC right now, but that's only because it was a gift... Anywho... Right, opening large files. You realize that is OS independent and relies entirely on the hardware? So I don't see why you keep bringing the OS into this, aside from "ease of use" which I've already admitted is the leading point Apple has - and is indeed why I would buy one over a PC if I wasn't such a gamer.

You'd think I was insulting his mother, or something.

What I'm saying is, for the hardware you get when you buy a Apple, you could get a better PC for roughly 1/2 to 1.5/2 the price of the Apple. Mind you, I'm talking about building it myself and installing Mac OSX on it. And the fact of the matter is practically everyone can do both of those things now a days, so it's not like I'm talking rocket science here. Sure, it's complex if you're new to it, but mostly everyone that's owned a computer for atleast 10 years knows how to use it well, and how to work on them - they could do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
I have a pc laptop at home running XP, and am forced to learn maintenance techniques such as typing Msconfig into the run window, and run registry cleaner etc just to get it to run at its best speed. Ridiculous.
In my opinion, this is roughly the same as saying, "I bought this Mercedes and I'm forced to do silly things like check my oil and windshield fluid every such and such a amount of miles!"

typing "msconfig" isn't exactly daunting, and neither is running an automated registry maintenance tool, so I don't really see where this complaint stems from to begin with. But these are just poor examples - because there is in fact things you need to do to maintain your system. However, I don't have to do many of these things very often, and that is because I am pretty computer savvy.

But once again, this is becoming repetitive. I've already stated that for general purpose the Apple is a better computer. They're very easy to use, and very reliable. The reason you probably have trouble with your laptop (especially laptops) is because the company probably has cheap components in it, more specifically components with cheap support.

However, if you're trying to tell me that - despite running on the same architecture (x86) Apple somehow puts wizards and magical bunnies into the products that somehow make them different from PCs... I'm going to have a hard time believing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
A worldwide IT industry propped up by Microsoft. When I say "propped up" I mean that without Microsoft's ingeniously stupid operating system 70% of them would be out of work.
... I'm just going to make a point of this to illustrate how biased you're behaving.

On the interwebs we call that being a "fanboy".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
I work in studios where everyone is on a mac (design and retouching studios), In most of these situations you don't need to pay an IT man 50k a year. Speaks for itself
Right, and a lot of businesses are switching over to Apple for their stability - this is entirely true, and a good idea. But go back 10, even 5 years and the tools businesses needed weren't available on Apple computers. So this is a sort of moot point. ]:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Back to bed, my St James awaits.
I googled this and found a lot of pictures of churches, and a few of babes. I'm going to assume you meant a babe.
Reply With Quote top
  #27  
Old 01-11-2008, 07:22 PM
superkoax's Avatar
superkoax superkoax is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 773
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Stephen A. You say about apple hardware "However, their hardware is usually pretty watery at best." Does that include durability, and build quality ? I've been using macs for 12 years and had only one hardrive collapse on me in that time.

"I can build a PC that's ~1.5x-2x better than a Apple for the same price." Ok, reliability aside, in what other way is $700 worth of PC hardware better than my Dual G5?
In my 13 years with pc I have had no harddrive crashes! I still have my first computer for gaming fun! old 486 dx2 8mb ram, 64mb harddrive! Good old AST computers! Still kicking! I also have my old commodore 64 and my old Amstrad!
Reply With Quote top
  #28  
Old 01-11-2008, 11:26 PM
chillin's Avatar
chillin chillin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Golden State
Posts: 1,324
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax View Post
In my 13 years with pc I have had no harddrive crashes! I still have my first computer for gaming fun! old 486 dx2 8mb ram, 64mb harddrive!...
What is the frequency of your 486, Gerry?
Reply With Quote top
  #29  
Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 AM
pixelzombie pixelzombie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,098
Re: Why buy a Mac?

i think St James refers to a scotch or whiskey...
Reply With Quote top
  #30  
Old 01-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Markzebra's Avatar
Markzebra Markzebra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 718
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Sorry "King James" I meant, its a little tattered and its got an apple logo on the front cover. And leave my mother out of it
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PE4 and Mac OS Leopard Tony Gander Photoshop Elements Help 3 03-31-2008 10:08 AM
MAYBE going to Mac from PC, need advice Marni48 Input/Output/Workflow 13 12-28-2007 02:14 AM
Scan Stitch with Mac jlwags.1 Software 1 12-07-2007 08:58 PM
Mac vs PC versions? camner Hidden Power Support 1 05-19-2007 08:20 AM
Hunting the wild Mac user Doug Nelson Website Feedback 3 04-21-2006 01:06 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved