RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Why buy a Mac?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:34 PM

Re: Why buy a Mac?

I am searching for the intel mac...i am in doubt that whether it can perform its best in my AMD athlon....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 PM

The details of my system is
AMD athlon processor 64bit,512ram,2Ghz...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2008, 08:15 PM

T. Paul...

If your major expense would be upgrading Adobe CS, Adobe has a cross grade option whereby you agree to distroy your PC copy and for the cost of shipping they send you the Mac version. It probably assumes you are running CS3.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunx View Post
The details of my system is
AMD athlon processor 64bit,512ram,2Ghz...
No wonder you're having issues with your PC. Your system is built for simple word processing tasks, watch movies, listen to musics, and surf the web...that's all. It can't install Vista. It can't play any decent FPS games. The problem here is not your PC. It just doesn't have enough ram...and i bet it's probably running some economical grade ram. You OS consumes most of the ram if not all just by turning on your computer...and you're trying to run Photoshop and mixing music with it? It gets stuck because all of its available resources get pushed to the roof as soon as you open up Photoshop. You need at least 2 gigs of ram for your purpose. You can get 2 decent gigs of DDR2 ram relatively cheap around $50 these days. Put those 2 gigs of ram in your system and I guarantee you that you're going to see a different in performance. Just make sure you know which type of ram that works with your system.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Gary, CNet has found Macsweeper to be a scam.
Yes, that's exactly what it is, that's what all "rogue apps" are.

However if you're foolish enough to DL it, you'll find they usually come with "extras" you'd rather they didn't.

This method of infection has been used for a long time on PCs, and despite its blatant simplicity you'd be surprised at how many people fall for it.

Don't know whether the Mac one carries a payload or whether they're just trying to hustle the gullible at this stage, but if they're gone as far as to produce a "proof of concept" version (as this seems to be), then it's quite possible that more virulent versions may follow.

Markzebra, if you're happy to stick your head in the sand and say "it's never happened before so it'll never happen in the future" then you're welcome to, personally I've always believed that forewarned is forearmed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
T. Paul...

If your major expense would be upgrading Adobe CS, Adobe has a cross grade option whereby you agree to distroy your PC copy and for the cost of shipping they send you the Mac version. It probably assumes you are running CS3.
Not so for me! I had just upgraded to Version 7 or CS (can't remember) on the PC for $179. Then I saw, and fell in love with an Imac and bought it.

To change from my new PC version to a Mac version, Adobe charged me another $179 AND the requirement that I destroy the PC version! I was not happy, but I had no choice, and I complied.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Ack, Don! All said and done, you still got a deal if you are now up to CS3 which retails well $1800 for the Design package of CS3
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 PM

Well I'm taking the plunge! Ordered the Apple yesterday and talked to Adobe tonight about the cross-platform upgrade. That's really a sweet deal. It was the cost of having to purchase all new Mac software that was holding me back. Fingers crossed that all goes well!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 12:39 AM

enjoy your new machine, and if you're into music you will truly enjoy garageband...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 01:06 AM

I hate for this to be my first post, but I felt compelled..

mac people will always tell you that macs are better.. Back in 2000-20003 when the mac was stuck at an ungodly slow speed, I was rendering video about two to three times faster than any mac. Usually mac folks are not as tech savvy as pc users. I have built all of my pcs using the latest PC chips and motherboards, and really enjoy the hands on experience of building something that is a mean workstation.

If you look at the old mac/pc debates, you will find that they often included debates about the CPU and speed of both platforms.. Most computer users who are well informed have always known that PCs had smoked macs. But to the brainwashed mac user, who really has no hands on experience and is just a user , they were easily fooled..

At some point they had to own up to the fact that their ridiculously slow macs were years behind PCs in terms of speed.. If you go on the AMD website, you will see how many movies are rendered and processed with the PC because of the speed.. movies like star wars and sin city..

I remember when musicians were like graphic artist and used to shun the PC.. Now they embrace the PC and more and more records are being made on them because of their superior performance and support for VST plugins and virtual instruments..

TRADITION has kept the graphic artist behind..

The CPU wars ended when APPLE PUT A PC CHIP INSIDE THEIR MACHINE!! Basically admitting that PCs were smoking fast they wanted to reap the benefits.. Now a nation of Mac users had to revise their arguments..

So what happened to the "macs are faster because of the power pc" debate? they got smoked and lost that one..

Now it's the OS. for someone who is not hands on about their OS I suppose macs would work better..

for power PC users, we have NO PROBLEM customizing our OS to be lean and fast.. That is part of the fun. the Mac OS does not allow the same kind of customization as a windows system.. For graphics and music, I do not care about the OS.. I care only about the software I'm using.

I have 8 computers networked because I am a musician.. 3 of them are macs. I have a powerbook and a G5 (that I use for final cut pro). I can tell you that there is not one mac that apple sells that is faster and smoother than any PC I have ever built.. An Asus motherboard with a top of the line AMD chip blows away any mac on the market.

Why buy a mac? If you can afford it, go ahead.. It gives an advantage in that I have the best of both worlds.. I can easily run OSX on my suped up PC.. works great.. But I like to designate certain computers to different tasks.. So I have a internet computer, graphics, and music..

Just so you know, I am not a MS supporter, I really don't care.. My point is, I'm really sick of these religiously overzealous mac heads giving false information.. You really can't go wrong with any computer.. You can be productive and have a machine that is smooth and wont' crash on you..
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography