RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Why buy a Mac?

Old 01-26-2008, 01:24 AM

Re: Why buy a Mac?

apple switched to intel as IBM couldn't make a G5 chip run cool enough in a laptop which is a shame as it was much faster when it came to floating calculations which is why microsoft picked IBM chips for their Xbox..i have friends that have switched to a mac and they have told me that they should've done it long ago but some people don't listen to me and they have to find it out on their own...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 02:33 AM

MS used IBM because it was cost effective not because it was faster or better.

Any serious gamer knows that a suped up PC runs faster, with better graphics and performance, than any XBOX360 or PS3s... in fact, most of the chips used in consoles are OLD PC chips.. Do a search on Google for serious gaming computers.. Take a look at the specs..

When I want a smoking computer, I usually use a serious gaming machine as a guideline. There is no mac on the market that will beat a top of the line serious gaming machine.. You think Graphic artist and Musicians are serious about performance? These gaming geeks are no joke and have the most suped up computers..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 02:43 AM

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquir...-for-the-xbox2

http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingre.../2003/11/61065
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 03:02 AM

Dude:

"PC’s have historically had a clear and distinct advantage when it comes to hardware. The capabilities of a high end PC far outweighed the ability of a single chip cartridge plugged into a piece of hardware designed to read the proprietary media device. In the past two years the size of this gap has shrunk tremendously. Ignoring the PS2 and Gamecube for a moment, the Xbox is essentially a streamlined PC built specifically for gaming. With all of the OS overhead eliminated, a single set of drivers and hardware designed specifically for the product, the Xbox has fully utilized the power of the PC to become a console. While the graphic capabilities of a console will never match the fastest and most robust PC on the market, they now can perform at the same level as most PC’s that are readily available in Best Buy."

http://www.xbox365.com/news/zcomment...pZEuVFpRZEEJZv

This was the situation years back.. And that was what I was refering to when the mac was stuck at slower speeds..

and if you want to talk about MORE CURRENT:

Gamers love AMD

"If the FX57 was put into a system with a motherboard, video card, memory, etc as quality and as high performance as the processor itself is then....
The FX57 would literaly stomp the living crap out of an XBOX 360!"

"the xbox360's processor is a RISC chip, and runs more specialized instructions.

The FX57 is a CISC chip, which runs a much more vast library of instructions.

There are things that the FX57 can do that the xbox360 can't but not vice versa."

And, gaming consoles power gets old fast.. That is why, again, as I said, gaming PCs will always be faster..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 03:28 AM

Also, this proves my original point.. During those dark years, when Mac laptops lagged behind the rest of the PC world in speed, EVEN THEN religious mac addicts would still say buy a mac.. then give some false claim.. this was after years of insisting macs were just as fast, no faster than PCs.. all lies.. And you see, it works because Mac users were not as tech savvy..

Reason I brought up speed is, there was a time when all you saw in Mac magazines were speed tests.. Desperately trying to show Macs were as fast, or faster than PCs.. They were testing software written for macs against software ported over to PCs.. Those claims were false. Those speed arguments quickly went away as the Mac was stuck at such slow speeds.. I remember in our studio, we had NO CHOICE but to switch to AMD computers because of how long it would take to render on a MAC.

Now Macs are much faster.. But they are just using PC hardware. The difference in PC hardware and MAC hardware is not as big as a deal as some make it.. That is why Steve Jobs shifted and focused the argument on the OS instead of specific hardware issues.. many of the components found in a Mac are PC components such as the Drives, Graphic cards, and CPU..

And as been stated here before, a 1500 dollar PC will usually smoke a 2500 dollar mac. So why buy a Mac? If you like the OS buy it.. I've never found Windows to get in my way of accomplishing my tasks.. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any OS that handles all of your photo retouching needs.. I use Photoshop.. I care about the program not the OS..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 06:31 AM

Rod, are you saying it boils down to speed and geekines? (how fast the chip is and how much do you want to tinker under the hood over clocking it etc.) I guess if you need speed for games or animation rendering etc. you'd go with what was fastest. For the average guy on the street who wants to surf the net, do some email, compose a letter, and do "normal" stuff, speed isn't an issue these days. It's all relative. Heck, I might have the very fastest PC in the world, but *I* can only type so fast and a silly nanosecond slow down in getting it off the printer doesn't matter to me.

As far as geekiness. Yeah, some guys like to build hot rods. They spend their waking hours tinkering under the hood. If that's important to you then, by all means, get a PC. The average guy on the street couldn't care less and is happy if all the "what makes it work" stuff just stays out of his way. I know there are geeks that just love to download and patch their OS every day and run virus scans and tweak all that stuff. People like me just don't want to have to do it every day, over and over and over and over.

>>>And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any OS that handles all of your photo retouching needs.. I use Photoshop..

Gee, from that statement one could infer that Photoshop doesn't run on a Mac. LOLOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 07:04 AM

Swampy, I agree with all of your points. You are correct. What you said is what I have been saying since I was a kid using a PC AND a Mac.. I'm not sure how far you go back, but those SPEED arguments were in every Mac Addict magazine in the 90s.. and all I would say is what you said.. and of course upon further examination I learned they were all false claims anyway..

And as far as the Photoshop statement.. you took that the wrong way.. When people would tell me buy a Mac because of Photoshop I'd say what you just said, but using the PC as an example.. I'd say "gee, you would think Photoshop does not run on a PC.."

And excuse me for sounding a bit harsh. When I first starting recording music, and I bought my first audio work station at SAM ASH, the arrogant brainwashed Mac rep told me "no no, do not buy that program for PC.. the PC will NEVER DO MUSIC.." I said, "never? how can you say never? I'm sure it can.." He said, "never!!!"

Then not long after, every great music software was available on the PC.. and MORE.. the PC actually overtook the Mac in music.. and MOST SOFTWARE WAS RELEASED ON THE PC SIDE FIRST!!!!!! With many VST plugins being available ONLY ON PC.. I'd smirk as my Mac friends buy a PC just because I had sounds and software they could not run.. They'd buy a PC just to use as a virtual instrument because their mac could not do it..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 07:19 AM

Rod

>>>I'm not sure how far you go back...

My first computer was an Atari 800 (1983) with a 300 baud coupler modem. I go back... I go waaaaay back! LOL

I had a wonderful step editor for the Atari ST. Loved that little program, can't find one like it today. It was so simple and all computer keyboard intensive (I'm not a keyboard artist!!! so entry from the computer keyboard was perfect for me). The Atari had a built in midi interface and I had a Roland with a grand organ voice. I programmed 6 tracks for the entire Messiah. We (the chorus and soloists) used those tracks for rehearsals. I could play back a single track (Tenors, Basses, Altos, Sopranos) for practice and drill. It was great. I find all the editing programs these days too "mousy" or too complex for my elementary musical skills. I just want to enter note by note C4q (middle C quarter note) from the wireless keyboard. LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 09:57 AM

i put rhinestones on my mac....so mine is actually best.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2008, 01:16 PM

So what anti-virus programs do you recommend for the Mac?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography