Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Why buy a Mac?

Old 12-27-2007, 05:40 AM
Why buy a Mac?

Is there a special benefit to purchasing a Mac? Appearantly, alot of people here own one. I don't get it Should I?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 06:39 AM
Re: Why buy a Mac?

Part of it is personal taste...while windows is plagued with problems of getting viruses mac is not (for now, until they become more popular and people start targeting them). But the biggest factor for graphic artists/photographers is the color management with mac. It appears to be much easier to calibrate the screen of a mac; they were the first one's to embrace ICC profiles and helped with the development of them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 02:09 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist

In a nutshell, better OS, smoother experience all-around. Besides, when you get a Mac you get a PC too (ability to seamlessly run Windows/Linux via Boot Camp or Parallels).

And if the cost of a new unit puts you off (even though the configuration costs can end up being similar to PC hardware), buy a recent model used Intel Mac. I happily use a variety of Macs, from this circa-2002 PowerBook G4 I am using at the moment, to a dual 800 G4, to a late 2006 MacBook 1.8 and a Mac Pro tower from last summer (I have to be in the office to enjoy it, though!).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 02:42 PM

>>>Is there a special benefit to purchasing a Mac?

Absolutely! Keep all your PC software and add Parallels or Fusion and run the PC stuff on that Intel chip. Then when you want to surf, do email etc. switch to the Mac "side" and do not worry about picking up viri or malware. Of course if you download stuff for the PC side from unfriendly sites you are on your own. Added bonus is all the cool software you get when you buy an iMac or MacBook. (Not offered if you buy the MacBook Pro or a Mac Pro though).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 06:08 PM

I use both platforms on a daily basis, so I'll try to shed my opinions as unbiased as possible before this thread turns into another Mac vs. PC debate. I have no problem of getting my work done on either platform for what I do. The question that you need to ask yourself is that what do you really want? What suits you the most? If you're going to get something just because everyone you know has it, I'd suggest you to do your research thoroughly before you make a decision. As far as virus on the PC is concerned, just learn how to protect's no rocket science and it'll make you become a better computer user in the process. I've never had anything that causes my PC to hiccup or a total meltdown and I most likely never will unless a hacker is devoting his/her time specifically to target my system. If that's the case, then it doesn't matter which platform that I'm using. The bottom line is that every single computer connected to the internet is vulnerable to malicious attacks whether it's a PC or a Mac.
The new Intel Mac is great. It has the best of both worlds and I like it a lot. But, many people don't know it's that you can run OS X on a PC. Yes, PC has the ability to run Mac OS X and no longer requires emulation since Apple has shifted towards x86 CPUs. The most important parts that you want your computer to have are the speed of the CPU, the amount of ram, and the quality of the graphics card. It won't make sense if it just looks pretty and doesn't perform at the level you want it to be. And, the most important thing that I can never stressed enough is that never let your tools (PC or Mac in this case) to dictate the outcome of what you do. You're the one in control every second of it from start to finish.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 09:24 PM

I am a Mac person, and like pixel monkey above, use both platforms every day. What I like about my Mac is that photoshop runs faster on my Mac than on my PC. (Yes, this is a valid comparison - I have 2 computers, 1 Mac, 1 PC, same amount of memory, same verson of CS3, the PC is actually about 6 months newer, running XP, that I have compared literally side-by-side on the same photo, etc. just to settle my own curiousity). In total I have 3 Macs and 2 PCs, and each have their moments if you know what I mean!

I love the Mac platform - I find the interface intuitive and easy to use, and it is just "me" as a creative person. I do let my tools dictate my choice to some extent - I'm a video producer and use the Final Cut Studio platform for all of my editing and authoring, and it only runs on Mac - but if I had wanted to stay on PC badly enough, I could have used the Adobe Suite of video products on PC, so I did have a level of choice.

And - all the stuff above about viruses and stuff, is a plus for me, but the software and interface really were my deciding factors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the knowledge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Yup i am going to switch into Intel Mac..all the opinions is on Intel Mac.virus is the main problem if we are connected..i think mac serves better against it.thanks for the information..

Ok i need photoshop to run faster .thanks for the information..

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 12-27-2007 at 11:04 PM. Reason: no need for multiple posts - one post can include all info
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2008, 07:04 AM

with the rise of popularity of the Mac, and the increasing number of people using them, there now actually are virusses that target just the Mac.

I still think the Macs are nice looking computers that do their job quite well, but are WAY WAY WAY WAY overpriced and a hassle to upgrade.

I've been using Windows Vista for a while now and have had not a single problem yet.

Are there bugs in windows software? Hell yes. Are here bugs in Mac OSX? Hell yes. About 5 years ago, there was a distinction between stability, now however there isn't anymore. You can debate till death and there are hardcore PC users and hardcore Mac users. I am neither, but value for money, you can't really beat a PC. I buy a new one every now and again, however if I don't need to upgrade the RAM, I can carry it over. If I don't want a new case, I keep the case. With a Mac.... well.... good luck with upgrading.

And when is Mac going to put some decent videocards in their machines?

I'd vote PC
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 AM

just watch the video:

"... it's the same as God made men to fall into a swoon in every hour..."
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography