RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Discussion thread - January '08 Photo Competition

Old 01-14-2008, 04:58 PM

Re: Discussion thread - January '08 Photo Competit

Honestly, I wasn't upset and that is not why I took my entry off. I just thought if the Photographers forum was a place for purists, my entry did not fit. But... since I was asked to by the Moderator, I submitted my entry again. If the purists among us don't like the fact that I made minor adjustments in Photoshop, I won't expect any votes from them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 PM

Since I don't know how to add multiple quotes from different people in a reply, I'm just going to say in capital letters to CJ and Allieok one thing! WAY TO GO!!! Your comments are spot on. Thank you.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 PM

The definition of a photograph from wikipedia

Quote:
A photograph (often shortened to photo) is an image created by light falling on a light-sensitive surface, usually photographic film or an electronic imager such as a CCD or a CMOS chip. Most photographs are created using a camera, which uses a lens to focus the scene's visible wavelengths of light into a reproduction of what the human eye would see.
Quote:
The goal of these friendly competitions is to inspire members to grab our camera and actually use it.
Kombizz, did you use a camera for your image? To me it looks like a photoshop creation.

I'm not saying don't use photoshop in your entries, I do but only on a basic level to give it a bit of oomph and bring back the detail that the camera has taken out. I want people to see what I see, I want my images to be as close to reality,my reality, as possible.

Kombizz on this occasion has gone past that. Does he see fish that way? Has he got a camera that takes photos like that? If so where did he get it because I would like one.

I noticed in your responses that nobody has actually referred to the image in question. Have any of you actually looked at the image? Do any of you see fish that way? That is what Mystical one was trying to point out to you, that this image did not involve anything to do with photography.

What did happen to Ants' image? I notice it is no longer in the comp. I was just curious as to how he achieved it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaMargie View Post

I want people to see what I see, I want my images to be as close to reality,my reality, as possible.
That is your choice, and you are free to do that.

Quote:
... Kombizz on this occasion has gone past that. Does he see fish that way? Has he got a camera that takes photos like that? If so where did he get it because I would like one.
If you have looked at the Competition entry thread, you will see that I posted a question for Kombizz to explain his process (the same day that he posted it), but I haven't seen a response. He is not available by email or forum PM. I don't know if he used a camera to photograph something else that he created or not. People do photograph paintings, don't they?

Quote:
...What did happen to Ants' image? I notice it is no longer in the comp. I was just curious as to how he achieved it.
Your previous posts did not sound like you were curious (in my opinion), but that you were suspicious and critical. Ant deleted his entry - without being asked to do so, by the way.

Discussing people's different opinions about what is art, what is photography, what is blue, what is allowable in a competition -- that's all to be expected, and part of human nature. But why is it so important what someone else submits? What do you lose by someone else submitting something different than what you do? Is it all about the "competition" and the "winning"? Why do you think that voting members have to be told which entries should be ignored and which are honest representations worth a vote? What did you think would happen if you weren't able to disqualify the entries you disapprove of - please, help me understand why people couldn't just look at them, decide what they thought, and vote.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 08:26 AM

My two cents (by this time I should have a pretty hefty total added up with all the two cents I offer.)

Anyways, among many of my clients one of the largest is the Associated Press and other media sources. Coming from an advertising/studio background it was quite a change for me to go from making folks think that mash potatoes were ice cream and that those nice grill marks on the steak were put there by a hot rod and the steak was actually raw. Now I move from commercial world to editorial world freely but at first I had to learn the new ropes of what was acceptable in this digital world of ours. I have to find my AP guidelines book for more accurate info but the overall sentiment is the following. A photographer may - Digitally remove dust spots, blemishes or any of the like as long as they were in no way part of the original scene. - No photographer shall remove elements of any image, not garbage not beer bottles, nothing that would alter the reality of the moment. - A slight bit of sharpness may be added depending on the printer used but not as to enhance or create a false reality - color saturation - shadows- highlights and overall tonality may be enhanced or de-enhanced as long as the intent of the creator is to as close to perfectly duplicate what was seen through the viewfinder. Any step outside of this is now a days a big no and highly looked down upon. One step out of line that causes question will forever be a little red mark on that shooter and skeptics will scrutinize. Most of this was brought to light by the New York Times shooter added actual image elements to a scene to make a much more dramatic image than the mundane one created. I love manipulating photos and do so as much as I can for advertising type work but any slip ups on the other side could seriously damage a shooters credibility and I have not worked 25 years to gain the respect I have. It truly makes no sense to me to do this. It's like cheating at games. Hell you win but you have to live knowing you really did not win. So many times we miss that decisive moment and so much want to go back but can’t and it's tempting to make one little click on the computer and make it so but is that ethics? I'd rather go on with my life, and karma will put an even better moment before me. That is why if I am on assignment and need a battery change or to change out media cards. I always turn my back because I have no desire to see the moment I missed and put me in a pissy mood for the rest of the day. Hope this was not too wordy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 PM

Sweetlight, interesting insight into both the commercial and news photography fields. You have now seemingly moved into fine art photography as well. We definitely don't have to abide by the Associated Press standard here since we're not shooting "the news", but if anyone wants to use those rules in their photography, they are free to do so.

I read today that "all photographs are self-portraits"...

Fine art photography, alternative photography
http://www.opalenik.com/sudre/index.html

http://www.opalenik.com/portfolios.html

http://www.alternativephotography.co...r_kennedy.html

http://www.alternativephotography.co...an_norman.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 PM

Mystical One, my partner, cannot currently post here due to her changing her email address to a bogus one. She has asked me to convey the following message. I am just the messenger here, so please do not shoot me...

Quote:
I have asked for my account to be deleted, I also withdraw any permission to this site to reproduce my images. I request that all of my posts be deleted, along with my account. The continued reproduction of my images is a breach of my copyright, and will be taken up through all channels available to me. Delete my account, my posts, and make it so that I was never here. this is a polite request, the next request will be through legal channels.
Don't shoot the messenger.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 PM

It's nice to see both long-time members and newbies submitting entries -- even if some of them are blushing. (Frank )
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 AM

An interesting read this thread. The dialogue gets very heated at times and I must say all sides make legitimate points. I hear many of the same arguments often at work. I listen to and respect every persons right to decide what is right for them and what they like and then I move on.

If you feel someone has gone beyond the parameters of the competition for whatever reason the choice is simple…don’t vote for that person. Votes are powerful and will ultimately decide what is acceptable and what is not.

This is a voluntary, informal and yes, FREE photo contest. As a result the rules can, will and should be interpreted loosely by those who wish to submit an entry. We all like to display our work and see how it compares to others and see what others think or competitions like this would be pointless. Let us not forget the bottom line here should be FUN!

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmnal View Post
An interesting read this thread. The dialogue gets very heated at times and I must say all sides make legitimate points. I hear many of the same arguments often at work. I listen to and respect every persons right to decide what is right for them and what they like and then I move on.

If you feel someone has gone beyond the parameters of the competition for whatever reason the choice is simple…don’t vote for that person. Votes are powerful and will ultimately decide what is acceptable and what is not.

This is a voluntary, informal and yes, FREE photo contest. As a result the rules can, will and should be interpreted loosely by those who wish to submit an entry. We all like to display our work and see how it compares to others and see what others think or competitions like this would be pointless. Let us not forget the bottom line here should be FUN!

Alan
Well put Alan
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography