RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Discussion thread - January '08 Photo Competition

Old 01-01-2008, 10:31 PM

Discussion thread - January '08 Photo Competition

Please post any responses to entries in this month's competition here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 06:02 PM

Re: Discussion thread - January '08 Photo Competit

I tend to agree with Anna on this one. Also would like to know how Ant took his and what manipulation he did.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM

Kombizz, you don't post a PM (personal message) link or email, so when you read this or the competition thread, please give us info on how you created your image -- if it's photographic, please give us an idea of how you gave it more of a "graphic" look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 11:22 PM

From the November '07 competition (theme - black & white)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaMargie View Post
A question about the black and white theme. Does the picture have to be taken in black and white mode or can it be taken in colour and then desaturated?
My answer then was that either was allowed. No one seemed concerned with post-processing to make a color image into a black/white image.

Now there is a question of what methods are allowed for turning an image a certain hue. There are color gels for lighting, colored filters for lenses, changing WB (white balance) from actual lighting type - all photographic methods that can change/add color casts. The Photoshop black/white layer adjustment allows adding a color tint to a desaturated image.

Currently, the rules state "... We'd love to hear any shooting info you have (shutter speed, ISO, f-stop) as well as any regular photographic post-processing -- cropping, levels, saturation, dodge/burn, etc. This isn't the place for Photoshop art filters -- we have other forums for that."

My personal opinion is that the voters will decide what is acceptable and attractive to them, and post-processing doesn't bother me. That said, having this forum for Photography separated from the photo-art and retouching forums does make it legitimate to question which editing functions fit within this forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 AM

I know this site is primarily geared towards retouching and photo manipulation but this is a "photography" thread and I think that if you are going to process more than just basic curves and levels then what what is the point of having a photography thread?

The photos that I put in this thread only have basic adjustments done to them, primarily just enhancing the colour and contrast of the image. The image I took for the Black and White Image was taken in Black and white. i wanted to challenge myself with the theme, I know it could have been a picture with black and white colours but I wanted to know how to improve my skills as a photographer by using B&W.

I think the best way to keep this as a photography only thread would be to put in a rule which says only basic adjustments are allowed and let the camera speak, so to speak.

Challenge yourselves and don't let "PHOTOSHOP" do all the work!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 08:30 AM

Talk about post processing? Talk about the recent black and white theme? Talk about film photography and digital photography with the same sort of "rules" and what does one get?

One gets a heated discussion with no winners and no losers, only polarized and often biased differences of opinion. Photoshop, in my humble opinion, is used in two basic, yet differing, ways. One, it is the modern darkroom where all of the old time darkroom methods have been digitized. One can use this modern darkroom for basic image corrections. Or one can use this modern darkroom for fine art. Or two, one can use this modern darkroom to push the envelope and delve into more drastic manipulations that remove the picture from picture status into the realm of art and surrealism.

If I understand this photography forum correctly, it is for the first of the two reasons that we submit images here. Certainly Ansel Adams would have been one of the first persons to wholeheartedly embrace photoshop as his darkroom. He constantly pushed his pictures into the realm of fine art with exceptional darkroom skills. And everyone applauds him for those skills. James Nachtwey, a famous photojournalist (http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/), manipulates his pictures in the darkroom to bring out their full potential without destroying their poignancy or editorial content.

Whether or not a person shot a picture in color and turned it to black and white in photoshop is such a nit that it is laughable. CJ was right when she mentioned there are filters and such that one adds to a camera for different effects--all perfectly acceptable and legal. Ant's image, again in my humble opinion, is acceptable for the reason stated above. Another image submitted that is more graphically/arty oriented rather than photographically oriented is not, unless that is a picture taken of artwork (but why do that?)

If this disqualifies me, then so be it. I personally correct for color, sharpness, and levels/curves on every picture I choose to process. The reason being that I shoot in RAW format (digital negative) with a Canon camera, which softens and somewhat distorts the actual colors I see with my naked eye. My goal is to restore the scene to what I saw when I shot the picture. This month's submission follows those parameters.

"Challenge yourselves and don't let "PHOTOSHOP" do all the work!!!" Oh, I do! I do challenge myself. I'm not sorry my darkroom isn't full of smelly chemicals any longer and that I can work with images without having to wait for developing and printing to make sure I got a once-in-a-lifetime shot or missed it by a mile.

Enjoy your cameras; and enjoy with your digital darkroom software the vast array of possibilities that are there for exploration, learning, and enhancement.

Janet

Last edited by Janet Petty; 01-08-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: added James Nachtwey's url
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 02:23 PM

I have been reading what has been said here and would like to say I sat on my hands over my submission, it was very tempting to manipulate the colours and had i submitted it to the photo art section i would of done, but to me that wasnt the point.
What i did try, was a different setting on my camera, I tried the vivid light setting which made the skin tones much better but the eyes then had a more grey look, so i plumped for the blue eye look but with the not so good skin tones on the standard colour setting. Mind you there are quite a few ready for the recycle bin, It was a lot harder than i thought

And if any one can help explaining to a 5 year old what the cracks are in her eyes i would be grateful ( veins)

Palms

Last edited by palms; 01-13-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added to
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 04:53 PM

And now you have learnt a thing or two about your camera. That is the point here, going and using the camera and developing your skills.

I know there are filters and settings on the camera that change the way the shot is taken. I was curious as to how Ant got his picture looking the way he did, did he use a filter or maybe blue light or was it photoshop? and Kombizz's didn't look like a photo at all unless it was a picture taken of a picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Re: Theme for January competition...

After reading Mystical One's comments, I am wondering exactly where the line is drawn as far as changing an image for the contest. I changed the colors of the flowers somewhat to make them more blue using selective color in Photoshop and made small adjustments to other aspects of the image like sharpening some areas.

Mystical One seemed quite upset, and I suspect he had my entry in mind when he commented. I will be happy to take my entry out of the competition if the changes I made do not fall within the rules.

That being said, I'd like to comment about the the futility of drawing such distinctions. The line between photography and art is very fuzzy and attempts to police that line are frustrating for all concerned. There are always "purists" in any field who are slow to accept new innovations and scream foul when someone figures a better way to achieve something. There are plenty of these "purists" among photographers, bless their hearts. They are rightfully proud of their accomplishments with a camera and resent those who can create something just as impressive with a point-and-shoot camera and Photoshop.

I made my living as an artist for many years and it probably won't surprise you to know that many artists resent photographers exhibiting in the same art shows. There are some "purists" among them that even think it is cheating for an artist to use photographs as source material for their paintings.

It is human nature, I suppose, and that is not going to change. I don't care much how someone achieves an image if the end result is pleasing. Painters, photographers -- and all who fit somewhere in between -- need a good eye. Without that, they will not produce good pictures, even if they have all the tools available today. But why should someone with a good eye put limits on the tools they can use?

But I understand that this group has the right to do that, and for the purposes of this competition, can make any restrictions deemed proper. And although I do use Photoshop extensively in most of my work, on this photograph, the changes were few and I noted them with the entry. But if making minimal adjustments to a photograph in Photoshop is not within the rules, please let me know or simply take my entry off. I will not be offended, honestly. I've had my say.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 PM

Well, aren't we all having fun! A competition without any monetary prizes, set up to give "camera owners", photography enthusiasts, and/or pros alike added motivation to use their camera to create an image, and what happens? We have people on "opposite sides" of the debate deleting their entries...

As moderator, I suppose I could/should take some particular "stand on the issues", but it will NOT be a strong one for these reasons:

1. I don't know what Ant did to his entry (in a studio or with Photoshop) -- perhaps I'm supposed to be able to look at it and KNOW, but I don't.

2. I was surprised when I found out some years ago that photographs are not reproductions of the place, the person, the animal, the thing, etc. depicted in the image, but reproductions of what the photographer saw or wanted his audience to see. I grew up thinking photos were "a documented record" of the thing they depicted -- and that's what my photography attempted to do -- record something I wanted to remember as it was. It never occurred to me then that MY vision of it might be different from another's and that there might be more than one reality. It certainly didn't occur to me that images might depict more than "reality".

When I retired and took a few photography classes, I found that the darkroom could make all kinds of changes in an image, and that it was up to me to decide what the image would look like. Then digital photography and digital editing became feasible for me and many others, and I was surrounded by debates and discussion about "real" photography versus [insert any number of terms argued about over the last 10 years]. I've found myself at various points along the range as the years go by, and today find the whole argument as pointless as "Ford vs Chevy", "Betamax vs VHS", "my team vs your team"...

My new Nikon camera includes "retouching filters" as a part of the camera -- I can retouch "red-eye", create a sepia or cyanotype image, as well as adjust color balance or make a black/white image -- after the shutter was tripped. Who knows what effects cameras 5 years from now will offer?

I thought that people would take photos, and people would vote for their favorites. Those with the most votes win, but that doesn't mean the others are worthless.

I still think people should submit their images (or submit them again after deletion) and people should vote for their favorites. Some people may agree, and others may not. People can either choose to have fun with their camera and images or not have fun. I vote for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allieok View Post
...But if making minimal adjustments to a photograph in Photoshop is not within the rules, please let me know or simply take my entry off. I will not be offended, honestly. I've had my say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical One View Post
my apologies, but ...I only joined this site due to the existence of a photography section. Given the above response, where it seems any photoshopping is permitted I will not bother in future.

maybe I am too puritanical, but the difference between changing an image from colour to B&W is vastly different to manipulating the image to fit the theme....I will now continue my journey elsewhere for those sites that cater for those who like to take photo's
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography