RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

setup a studio

Old 01-15-2008, 06:28 AM

setup a studio

Hello All,

In the retouchpro I can find all solutions, that's why I'm posting this thread here.

Here is the detail :-
I want to setup my own studio. currently I've but with the limited equipments and very low quality digital camera.
Now I want to shoot photos professionally (we can say "modeling photography") and can invest for it. I've buyed a place sized approx. 9 Feet x 20 feet. I want to setup there my commercial studio for modeling photography for general customers. I'm a photoshop retoucher/restorer since 10 yrs. I know kinds of images well and played with thousand of images, but I'm not a professinal photographer and do not have much practical experience of professsional photogragy. Also I don't know much about equipments available in the market.

My query about is :

I need to know what kind of equipments I should setup in my studio and the name of companies which can give me best results for Camera, Front light, back light, side light, focuses, backgrounds, flowers etc. I need to know all the necessary equipments to setup in my studio, so I can shoot professionally and produce high quality results.

I know in the retouchpro there are very experienced persons/photograhers. So, please respond me and give me the list of equipments which should be used in a studio.
again thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 10:13 AM

Re: setup an studio

Two questions:

What is the ceiling height?

When you say "modeling photography" are you talking about one person at a time or multiple people at one time?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 12:39 PM

check out photoflex for lighting equipment...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 01:44 PM

It depends so much on what exactly it is that you want to do. I'm not quite sure what you mean with "modeling photography".. Fashion? Portraits? Fashion can be so many things - and so can portraits.

Also - you sound like money is not an issue? If that's the case I'd go for a Hasselblad H2 with a Phase One P45+ digital back or a H3D, then a bunch of Broncolor lights and generators with an assorted range of softboxes, "dishes" and so on and/or probably a range of Chimera stuff as well. Then a Mac Pro for shooting tethered and of course an Eizo ColorEdge monitor. And of course a wide range of booms, and other lighting supports. Then you can start worrying about various stuff - backgrounds, stuff to help posing (chairs, boxes etc.), effects and so on and so on. That it just off the top of my head and just to make it clear that you'll have to prioritize what you really want to do - otherwise you'll spend what could've bought you a small country instead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 11:30 PM

Hello Mike,

ceiling height is only 8 feet from ground.
I want to setup an studio for a single, family, proposal photo, group photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2008, 11:33 PM

Hello Peer,

I want to shoot portraits, it seems that I do not want to make fashion photograhphy of models. I want to shoot local persons, girls, mens, family, school group etc., I want to shoot girls photo which should like model photo. I want to do all stuff which can be do in studio for local public not with models.

I think it will help to understand u better what I want.

Ashkumar.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkumar View Post
Hello Mike,

So your studio is 9 feet wide, 20 feet long and 8 feet high. The ceiling hight is going to limit your lighting, better to have a ceiling at least 10 feet or better. The 9 foot width is going to limit your ability to do any kind of group without showing the walls. Any chance of getting a bigger space? Or would you consider doing your group shots on location?

If you bought all the stuff that Peer K mentioned, you might not be able to get it into that room, let alone yourself and a customer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkumar View Post
Hello Mike,

I do a lot of my work in a small basement set up. only 7' celings and it I think the main space I shoot it in is 15 x20.. It has it's limits but it pushes your creativity. I also have three strobes and reflectors setup .. (usually 2 strobes)

I shot this year's christmas card with two strobes in that very space.

and here is another LINK to a shoot I did around the same time.

My point is you can pull off a lot in a small space.

Click above for picture
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 PM

2Lpix

I agree that one can make almost any place work. Do you have any photos of a 6'5" person, standing, full length? Your examples (which I like) show very short people and they are sitting, which all adds up to give you enough room to place the light in the correct position. And your floor space is almost double of his.

If one is just starting out, why add to the difficulty?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

If one is just starting out, why add to the difficulty?

How was I adding to the difficulty? I don't do a lot of full length. and if I had to shoot someone that size i'd do it on location. or just walk outside.. LOL . What I was trying to say , and may have been misunderstood was he can make the space work without leasing another space (as one poster suggested getting a bigger space) not working with what you have or thinking you can't use the space you have is more discouraging than anything else I can think of.

I should have added to my post was to start with one light a soft box and a reflector and build form there.

If you worry too much about the destination, you'll miss the journey or never begin it. Just start shooting and build from there. Just my $0.02

Best of Luck,
Larry
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography